Egluntyne

Myths about the flu jab debunked.

After having Flu two Christmas's in succession,which really spoiled the festive season for everyone,as I am chief cook and bottle washer and present getter and Mother Christmas ( I could go on :lol: ) I now get jab every year.I haven't had flu again just nasty colds.I know it's a bit of a lottery as to what bugs will be circulating but I would prefer to be pro active.

I've never had flu and have never had the flu jab but am wondering if this year, I should get it :think: . I do tend to get really bad head colds and persistent coughs and I work in a special school where tissues and mouth covering are scarce :roll: . I also have a very elderly mother who I see weekly so perhaps that would be grounds to request it too?

I enquired about the flu jab whilst in the supermarket the other day. Sadly due to my egg intolerance they wouldn't give me the jab (I can't eat egg unless it's in cake or similar -egg on its own makes me violently sick) . They told me to contact my GP and enquire with them about the egg free vaccine. I emailed the doctors but they didn't bother getting back to me. :roll:

Do any of the medical types on the forum know how much the egg free flu jab costs? I don't think I'm eligible for a freebie jab.

I have only had flu once and I am not keen on having it again. It was when my children were small and it was the worst two weeks of my life. :shock:

My YD had swine flu a few years ago and she was hallucinating, very scary, I think that I will pay to get the jab this year.

My FIL had a bad reaction to a flu jab when he did his national service and has refused to have one since, although it is fair to say that he is not the bravest of men when ill :wink:

mrs Webmuppet -if you get full blown anaphylaxis with eggs then you shouldnt have vaccine ie lips swell , throat swells, hives and loss of consciousness which requires an adrenaline injection and hospitalisation. There is a vaccine with less albumin in - I ordered it for a pt some yrs back and it had to come from Berlin - took a long time.Not sure if you could get it. if you fit into the criteria for free flu vacc I would go to GP and ask - eg asthma, elderly etc and many other conditions. You may have to be referred to a special clinic if you are in the "at risk " group of patients.

Its not a live vaccine so doesnt give you flu.

I get it yearly as asthmatic and front line NHS staff. Never had flu but get colds a lot - par of the course being a nurse surrounded by snotty herberts. :lol:

surrounded by snotty herberts. :lol:

That perfectly describes my job too :lol: .

Try being on a supermarket checkout .

I had a woman cough right in my face last week...this week I am down with a tummy bug :roll:

Snot drops on the till & saliva covered items that children have chewed are common too. Happens every week (& now management want to take away our hand gel!)

people are quite revolting.

I won't be getting a flu shot again this year! Interesting article Egluntyne but would like to know what evidence there is for the claim at Myth 14 (also I am not sure that pneumonia as a cause of death should be tied into an article about flu as pneumonia is a very common cause of death with or without the flu). I totally agree that if you are in a high risk job, teaching, nursing (although I know a couple of nurses who refuse to have the jab) or general public facing or have asthma or other health problems then you may want to take it up. I have had flu in the past and it was not pleasant but I prefer to take my chances. A friend in the office was inoculated against flu and swine flu but got swine flu anyway and ended up in hospital so I remain unconvinced at the effectiveness I'm afraid. I've also had a friend who had Guillaim barre syndrome (mentioned in the article) and that was very very scary and life threatening. She got that as the result of a tummy bug. Now if you could inoculate against those I'd be first in the queue!

I had flu last winter and ended up with a horrible cough for 9 weeks so decided to have the flu vaccine this year. I am 55 so not entitled to a free one so i had it done in Boots. They were very professional and took much more time than my oh got at the gp surgery when he had his done.

I did have a rather nasty reaction in my arm. I had a raised red, itchy patch which got to about 4 inches across before it started going down. All ok now 10 days later.

My oh had no reaction at all to his jab.

Would rather have a red arm for a few days than flu !

I had swine flu, 5 years ago.

I was ill for months. I got a heart condition called myocarditis, and the virus also attacked my pancreas and gave me a rare form of diabetes. The diabetes was only discovered in some routine bloods about 18 months back but they were able to work it back to the swine flu.

I was off work for nearly 3 months, and have had to be careful with my heart ever since.

I heard of another otherwise healthy person who got myocarditis after me and died :(

My diabetes isn't an issue, if I'm honest, as I've never been one for a sweet tooth or a lot of carbs. However, hardly anyone has heard of my form of diabetes (which is known as type 1.5 or LADA which is Latent Autoimmune diabetes of adulthood). I don't mind sticking sharp objects in me :shh:

However, I go for my flu jab every year as better safe than sorry.

I had mine last weds, felt a little unwell on weds and thurs, but then was fine. Although my arm is still a bit sore :anxious:

I've always been on the fence myself. I am a nurse and last year they tried to force us to have them, but they backed down in the end...

I take immunosuppressants so again have always steered away. Last year my neurologist said I should have it as it's not a live vaccine but I still couldn't make myself do it!!! Think i've turned into a wuss!

I take immunosuppressants so again have always steered away. Last year my neurologist said I should have it as it's not a live vaccine but I still couldn't make myself do it!!! Think i've turned into a wuss!

I'm on immunosuppressants too. Which is why I'm in the high risk group. I've been having the jab regularly for 18 years without a problem - Maybe a sore arm for a day, but nothing more. But I'm not squeamish about needles, which helps.

But I don't think anyone should force you.

Edited by Guest

I get one free at work every year, and I always take it up - seems daft not to.

I've had flu and it was horrible, I live alone so there's "Ooops, word censored!"ody to bring cups of tea and sympathy - I'd rather avoid that if I can, and travelling on the tube every day I'm exposed to every germ there is. :roll: I have had the jab every year for the past few years and never suffered anything worse than a slightly sore arm.

Had the flu jab this year, as it was free through work. Living with an elderly dad and working in an open-plan office (also full of snotty herberts) it seemed a good plan not to catch it or bring it home with me.

I have had flu in the past and remember my hair ached (how can hair ache? :shock:). Also had swine flu when that went through a previous workplace. Like others, I hallucinated when it was at its very worst, but I was only really ill for three days and was reasonably well in a couple of weeks. It seemed to hit anyone with any underlying condition very badly, and the rest of us recovered ok.

Worst bit was, I was living on my own with no one to look after me and a Puddy-cat that wanted food whether I was dying or not. I recall sitting on the kitchen floor putting her food in a bowl, because I was too feeble to stand for that long, and she wasn't going to stop meowing and let me sleep till she'd had her breakfast :roll:!

Yes Quick cluck you are in the high risk group and would be better having it.My daughter is also immunosupressed following transplant and has been getting jab every year for past 17 years.I suppose it's like any vaccine some won't have a good antibody response and may still get the flu but best to be pro active.Also rolling out nasal drops to preschoolers mainly to protect older susceptible people they cough and splutter over.I think it is a good thing although at the major risk to people who have relatives in care I often wonder at the practice of going to homes and giving vaccine.When I started nursing flu was known as old mans friend.Ie it let them slip away.Having worked in nursing homes it is just so sad to see people with very little quality of life lingering on.

Nasal flu - yuck we start clinics next week. I hate giving it - as a nurse snotty noses and sick are 2 things I cannot deal with. Blood, guts bring it on. If you are a snotty herbert in my clinic you get a box of tissues thrust at you. Cinnamon - i really feel for you and to take your hand get away is criminal - i use mine religiously - my hands are dry with over use but I dont want anymore germs than I already have. I have had flu jab for yrs - since they have added swine flu to it I get a sorer arm (OH who is fine says its psychosomatic - is it heck :shock: ). I am very pro flu vacc BUT will not put pressure on people even if they are at risk. Some people react badly and would sooner take risk.

Apologies to any Herberts out there. :D

Cinnamon - i really feel for you and to take your hand get away is criminal - i use mine religiously - my hands are dry with over use but I dont want anymore germs than I already have.

I know, I am astounded by their decision. All that raw chicken juice & stuff we get on our hands!

Not to mention money, which is filthy. A colleague actually had a £5 note which she accepted, then later noticed her hands stank - the note had poo all over it :shock:

I have actually always kept mine, my own pretty smelling one, in my pocket, & will continue to do so.

It has moisturising beads in it too, so no chapped hands :D

They will not give a reason for the decision, but we are wondering if it has anything to do with the recent problems KFC had when giving alcohol based cleanser to a Muslim customer :roll: