soapdragon

Can't Sleep/Won't Sleep!

I too am a poor sleeper.What annoys me more than noise is light.I cover up the clock radio and in spring waken with the light in spite of blackout lining and blinds.Boots do a menopause night support tablet which is quite good.Also no caffeine after lunch.Sadly I have found a glass of wine seems to cause me to wake up after sleeping a few hours :( something to do with the way alcohol metabolises

Another insomniac here :( I have tried : not going to bed till really late ( after midnight) , herbal sleep aids, non herbal sleep aids, ear plugs, getting up & doing the housework and even a night cap , but nothing , absolutely nothing helps. Even when I was running 20 miles + / week I am still awake by 3am or 4am max, and only occasionally fall back asleep. Would give anything for a nights sleep. Yours in sleeplessness, Ax

Oh dear. Another poor sleeper here. Similar story about being a good sleeper pre-children. The kids are grown up and have moved away and it's very quiet on my road...so why oh why do I still wake up in the early hours of the morning? Like many of you, I drift off easily enough but then feel very fidgety a few hours later.

Swapped my pillow to a new one last night. Only disturbed by OH going to work at 4.30 and went right back to sleep. Normally I can't sleep with new pillows - they have to be relatively flat and not puffy! But my old pillow was probably a little toooooooo thin. Sooooooo perhaps it's pillows that may make a difference? Swap them around? Swap for a different filling? :think:

I used to wake up dozens of times during the night, fighting with a hot, flat, puffy oncomfortable pillow. I now use the ergonomic pillow of Ikea for a few years and love it. It has memory foam, doesn't get hot in summer and always gives enough support. Never will go back to an ordinary pillow.

I'm now a quite heavy sleeper and need a wake up light to be not a total grump in the morning. Although I do wake up at the sound of whining chickens, wanting to be released from their coop... :roll:

wonder how many of us read using an electronic device at night? I saw a news report yesterday that ereaders can disrupt sleep. I'm hoping a Kindle Paperwhite isn't too bad as you can dim the light.

I find that if I use my ipad within an hour or so before going to bed I can't fall asleep so I am quite strict with myself. I think it is the backlighting that is the problem. I have the old original Kindle which does not have a light and it is fine as it is just like reading a book

Going to try the breathing technique!

Stress keeps me awake. And stressing about stress. And stressing about the fact that I didn't think I feel particularly stressed so I'm not sure what I'm stressed about. And then stressing about the fact that my alarm is set for 5.12am and if I don't go back to sleep then I'll be so tired at work and all the stuff I'm stressing about will be more stressful.... :wall:

And if I do happen to have a good night and am fast asleep.....then my kids wake me up at 5am!

Oh & I have a new mattress today, so if anything is going to keep me awake, that will :roll:

Horrendous nights sleep for us both & we both have sore backs today too.

Looks like my impulse purchase was a mistake :?

On the upside it was very,very cheap for a mattress, & I can sell it on with no problems I think.

Was too tossy & turny to try the breathing technique I am afraid!

Anyone got any good mattress tips?

I fell asleep no problem last night. However, I was woken in the middle of the night, not by my usual hot flushes but by OH punching me hard in the face, right between the eyes :shock::shock: .

Before you call the police, he was dreaming - he can't remember what about but said he thinks he threw 3 punches so I suppose I was lucky :lol: . Hopefully I won't have 2 black eyes tomorrow but whichever way, I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of this :twisted: .

My husband elbowed me in the eye one night, really hurt and woke up with a black eye. When people asked what had happened and I told them it was him no one believed me :lol:

I am another one that rarely has any trouble getting to sleep but sleeping through is another matter altogether.

I usually wake up about 4ish and then am either wide awake waiting for the alarm to go off or sleep fitfully until the alarm goes off. Once the alarm has gone off I can quite easily go back to sleep then :roll:

I have the iplayer app on my kindle and pick out a radio 4 play, gardeners question time, archers omnibus etc. so that when I wake up I can just stick my earphones in and press play, it usually helps me to drift off, or at least stops me tossing and turning. I also have a bottle of bach flower remedies next to the bed, not the rescue one, a more specific one, although they do do a night time rescue one which isn't bad. I also have one of those little wheat bag things, the ones you can stick in the microwave, I don't bother heating it up but dowse it with some lavender oil.

If I am going through a really bad period of not sleeping, and struggling to get to sleep I do resort to a good swig of night nurse.

Blimey! I must consider myself lucky that I only get an elbow in the face. Worse still underarm hair. :vom:

Changed my pillow as the old one was really a pancake. The first night was bliss as were the next few nights. Then it started settling where I didn't want it to settle. I also woke myself up snoring! Sometimes I hear the hollow fibres moving so it feels like they are crowd surfing my head right off the pillow. Not to be outdone I've flipped it, turned it and beaten it into submission. I've thrown it across the floor and then had to retrieve it. I think I'm winning though.

Other than that I've put a new mattress protector on and it's like sleeping on a cloud! My mattress is really hard - as I like it that way and yes, did take a bit of getting used to but with that protector on - it's only a quilted thing and not big and fluffy, quite flat - but feels ooooh sooo gooooooood!

This weekend hubby is off to Germany so I'm hoping for 2 nights of undisturbed bliss!