clucker1

Food for garden birds

Having done the rspb birdwatch for the first time, I am now monitoring my garden birds a lot more closely. I put out breadcrumbs yesterday along with some cooked rice and the rice was gobbled up and the breadcrumbs are bringing lots of other types of birds.(I had been using peanuts, fat balls, robin mix bird seed). I have a 5 kg sack of corn for my chickens, is that suitable for garden birds? Also the bird food on the rspb web site is a lot cheaper than supermarkets etc so I think I might buy one of their mixes to see what else turns up in the garden. Up the road they have woodpeckers, pheasants etc.... I am not sure they will travel down to my more suburban garden but more variety would be good.

B&M do a 12.75kg bag of mixed seed for £4.99 and it goes down great in my garden :D . I do put out suet balls as well and peanuts at the weekend (too expensive to give then those all the time), as well as leftover cat food.

Today they're getting pork rind chopped up into small pieces.

We don't get any particularly exotic species, being at the top of an exposed hill, but we do get lots of feathery visitors and lots of squirrels too - always something to watch :D

I buy a large sack of peanuts costs £37.99 and lasts about 3 months and fat balls by the bucket - we feed all year round peanuts and fat in the winter- we have woodpeckers and various species here including tree creepers and long tail tits with robins and the usual other garden birds - we had 2 buzzards in the trees yesterday but they don't come to feed but on the bird counting day they are ususally absent - I think other people feed them on that weekend! I do not like mixed seed as it leaves mess and grasses grow underneath the feedefs.