Christian

What have you all been making...part two...

This is as far as I've got with the Bonnie Hunter mystery this year. It needs borders but I'm still decorating - the end is in sight now - and while my electric girls were being serviced I was decluttering and finding room in the cupboards for the old girls. In between I'm trying to sort out what I want to do on the retreat. I have an idea now and so the next thing is cutting up and making a mess all over again! :lol:

Storm over Ringo Lake

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning, you must be so pleased. :clap::clap::clap:

What's this retreat then? Is it your sewing group or something else. My Wirksworth group had a couple of days sewing last weekend, it was bliss. I didn't want to make the bags and things on offer so I sewed together some disparate rows I've received on an exchange on the theme of birds. Too many, so I was able to put the duller ones on the back. I was also sent a fair amount of fabric from those whose life got in the way of making rows so I haven't made a hole in my stash. Food was yum, it was a faith lunch where we just all bring something and it turns out. Food and quilting but where was the chocolate, oh yes that was cake :drool::drool::drool:

:lol:

I've never been on retreat before and was invited by one of the group. Hope she manages to go - she hasn't been well and her ME has kicked in! But I met up with 3 ladies at the local garden centre and ate - CAKE! I had a Vicky sandwich but it was blackcurrant crumble. The jam was the fruity bit and the crumble was lovely crunchy bits in the cake part. Oh and the buttercream icing in the middle. Very yum! I'm getting everyone in Geronimo - otherwise I'd be a Billy No Mates! My sewing machine trolley case arrived a couple of days ago - and I could fit my clothes in too - so big! But it would happily manage the Janome. I've decided to take Molly though - I need a practice with her before I go. I think there's 10 of us going to a place in Hertfordshire called High Leigh. Still not sure what to expect, but I've been looking through something easy to work on and then I'll cut out the pieces. They recommended 3 quilt tops to do but I'm slow so I might not finish them. But better safe than sorry. Also taking the hand sewing things just for a change. And a book. And some pillows just in case of numb bum - although I think I'd be having regular walkabout sessions. Better write a check list with all the gubbins I'll have to take! Scary yet exciting! It'll be 4 nights away from Murray :dance: although he said couldn't they make it longer! :notalk::roll::lol: But on the plus side I'm dipping into my stash big time!

Wow you have done the quilt quickly - I saw her On Ringo Lake and thought it was beautiful and I love your colours - Roll on retirement when I will have more time - although everyone says dont know when had time to work!. Enjoy your retreat - sounds really good. Not been doing much patchwork right now - but lutrador stuff and other sewing/applique

What have you been doing with Lutrador, I bought a sheet a year or two ago and not used it.

I have bought a soldering iron and intend to have some melty fun. I was lucky to watch an episode of The Quilt Show with Betty Busby giving a tutorial on how she makes her fabulous quilts using hand space dyed fabrics and appliqueing on synthetic painted fabric that had holes burnt in it. Sounds fun eh? Here's some of her quilts click for link

Otherwise I've been sewing bits and pieces and preparing stuff for my quilt group. On wednesday I started tutorials on free motion quilting. I spent most of the session adjusting the tension on the machines. Some really good stuff done though on mostly little cheaper machines that you take to workshop. None had done any before or had a lot of problems so it was great. On that subject there's a series of free tutorials from Angela Walters http://www.quiltingismytherapy.com/2018/02/07/free-motion-challenge-quilting-along/ should be really good.

I traced leaf patterns and coloured my lutrador with 2 different things - Pat Archibalds water colours which are in a small easy to handle unit and also the oil paint sticks. If you go to Pat Archibald on utube you will see her working with Lutrador - its great to work with - I did not want to use heat on it to make holes but I think hubby has a soldering iron in the garage if I really wanted to. Then cut out the shapes and sewed the veins on it to a backing and quilted the backing and have edged it and attached the lot to canvas. Its great as it does not fray and looks good. Attempting an applique chicken from quilting arts magazine and have just to fmq it and again will attach to canvas. Home bargains have really good cheap canvasses in the kids painting sections!!

Have made a couple Harris Tweed cushions and traced and appliqued deer head on it also in Harris Tweed. Goodness knows what I am going to do with all the things I have done lying about!

https://imgur.com/a/SQ4k6

Not sure if this shows up!

Wow those sea urchins! I remember Patsy Thompson did leaves that way too. Makes them look quite realistic. Sounds a fun thing Plum. Love Angela Walters - her Midnight Quilt Show is funny - staged but funny. I thought one day that glass will get knocked over - and the outtakes - smashhhhh! Ahaaaaaaaaa! I have bottled water and screw the top back on after a swig. I suppose I could do that with the vino but I think I'd get too sozzled to sew! :lol: Cool beans regarding the tutorial sessions. Lucky ladies having you as a tutor!

Thanks Blackierockstar - I had to look and see what lutradur was! Nice little maple leaves. A very interesting medium to play with and get good results. The tweed cushions sound lovely too.

The leaves are good and agree it's a good way to mount your work. Love the shading you've achieved on them.

I'm going to go and look at what Pat Archibald is up to, I've been a long term admirer and been to a workshop donkeys years ago. Not tried paint sticks .... yet :D

Sooooooooooooo - painting almost done just one room - utility - but that's pretty much all doors and window and cupboards - not much wall to do.  I need to sort out the cupboards first!  But I hear the quilt room calling me today because I've emptied the spare bed into the spare room - I have a couple of extra feet to push back the cutting table!  I had been decluttering but I have left a mess with the "where can I put these" and "I can't get rid of these because . . . . "  Those things that were gifted and I don't use are taken to the quilt group (gratefully received!) and others that really are rubbish and non-quilt related but gifts, I shut my eyes while popping them in the bin bag!  LOL!  Meanwhile I've tested Molly and I just have to get used to the foot pedal.  She goes really fast when my foot relaxes!:shock:

Not sure if it quite counts but I'm teaching myself robotics. It's very slow going because I'm starting with no knowledge. I'm learning how to wire circuits and all the words are like a different language and I'm supposed to change codes to alter frequencies and timings and so on. It doesn't always work but I'm pushing forward anyway. When I've learned some basics I have a robot car kit to build. 

11 minutes ago, patsylabrador said:

Not sure if it quite counts but I'm teaching myself robotics. It's very slow going because I'm starting with no knowledge. I'm learning how to wire circuits and all the words are like a different language and I'm supposed to change codes to alter frequencies and timings and so on. It doesn't always work but I'm pushing forward anyway. When I've learned some basics I have a robot car kit to build. 

Sounds exciting! My technical education assistant is building a small robotic tank right now. But the kit is from China, with instructions in Chinese... there is a translated version, but that instruction doesn’t match the kit we have... So it’s a lot of guess work and me walking in and telling him he’s holding something upside down... :wink:

• Like 1

I love the dog Cat tails :grin:

Very well done as always.

Patsylabrador well done on learning something new.

It sounds complicated but I'm sure you will master it .........

And if you can make a robot that does all of the chores without whinging I'll be the first to buy one from you :grin:

• Like 2

Ohh that's a cute puppy!

I'm trying to cut out fabric for the retreat.  OH keeps finding tasks to thwart me!  I have one set aside which is a leader and ender type.  But the worst bit was deciding what to choose.  I'm going to do this one:

https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.co.uk/p/modernitional-mod-bear-paw-quilt-along.html

So far I'm testing Molly and I've almost done a paw!  I need to do a few more to complete a block.  If all goes well then I'll prep the rest of the fabric and bag it.  I had a few issues with the pedal but I've had a better session this evening. 

:clap: Love it - it's so cute!  Now you need a hamster ball for it to go in and that'll keep her guessing until . . . !  

Actually - that's the sort of pet that OH is happy to have.  Except we had a big row when we moved here because he was going to dump my teddy bears - and then when my daughter moved out last year he gave her my teddy bear box!  Luckily she said no, they are mum's teds.  Foiled again matey!  Yarrrr!

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

:clap: Love it - it's so cute!  Now you need a hamster ball for it to go in and that'll keep her guessing until . . . !  

Actually - that's the sort of pet that OH is happy to have.  Except we had a big row when we moved here because he was going to dump my teddy bears - and then when my daughter moved out last year he gave her my teddy bear box!  Luckily she said no, they are mum's teds.  Foiled again matey!  Yarrrr!

:lol:

I found a little box and made some holes in it. Stuffed a bit of bedding in it and done!  :grin: