soapdragon

Chinese Hamsters - again - any advice please! update

After the recent sad demise of Bob, the sprout eating hamster :cry: we are about to get Chinese hamsters (I have wanted Chinese for quite a while!) We are picking three up from a rescue centre in Northampton on Saturday but, having done some research on line, I am now a bit worried so wanted to get as much advice as poss before we finally collect the critters!

Apparently these three brothers have been together since birth (now 6 month old) and get along very well together but some sites do say that they should only be kept singly :shock: We have a big cage for them with several hidey holes/houses and different levels so that they can get away from each other if they feel the need (I certainly do with my family from time to time :oops: ) Also we have a backup cage just in case Triad wars break out so that we can separate them.

Am I making a big mistake :think: It seems very unfair to only take one or two if they have been a trio since birth but I really want to be able to make an informed descision - a bit late I know but I trusted the info I was given. However, a friend pointed out that maybe they just want to rehome them asap.......tho they seem really lovely, caring and responsible people and I didn't get the feeling AT ALL that they just wanted to see these chaps gone :?

Any thoughts, advice or personal experience anyone (possibly Lewis............. :whistle: )

PS Names; Hoi Sin, Wun Tun and Chow Mein....sorry, had to be done! It was either that or Numbers 25, 31 and 43 as per our locals menu!

Sorry, didn't mean to be flippant but torn between excitement and anxiety now...perhaps I should just give up on consulting THE WEB as there is always conflicting advice and trust those WHO KNOW!!!!!

Edited by Guest

Sorry I don't know the answer but I think it will just depend on the hamsters....but I have rescued alot of animals and have always been told that they will take the animal back if their is any problems of any kind.

So I would try them and see, if they are in a cage all together now hopefully all will be ok.....

Good luck...

Thank you...that is what I am hoping! If they have been together for 6 months and live for 2.5 to 3 years they must be in their mid 20's and so reasonably mature....if you see what I mean :lol: Soooooo, if they havn't fallen out by now then I would hope that they won't in future :think:

Thanks for the info Louise :) , we have always been very 'hands on' with our hamsters and do plan on getting them out every day so, hopefully, this will help! Apparently the Chinese love to climb and so hoping they will clamber up our hands/fingers! Equally there are lots of little spaces, climbing things, tunnels in the cage so hope that will keep them happy! Good to know we are on the right track 8)

I have a Chinese hamster (Ying). I did have two but sadly one of them suffered from diabetes and had to be put to sleep. They are prone to diabetes so be careful with the treats, make sure they only have treats that are low in sugar.

As other posters have said keep a close eye open for them fighting/squabbling. I kept my two together but I had to split them up when the fighting resulted in a minor injury.

They are fun and friendly to keep , my hamster will do some crazy things and loves his hamster ball. He is so tame he will take a sunflower seed very gently from my fingers. He lives next to the piano and I frequently find him watching me.

Boy hamster wee does whiff a bit so frequent cleaning is required.

We always had hamsters when I was growing up and always got them from a young age so were always well used to being handled. I still remember the first time I ever visited a vets to have my hamster PTS, the vet was great and explained everything and that I had to be brave but it was ok to cry... which I'm sure I did :lol:

We had lots of Chinese Hamsters at school when I was in Sixth Form - they had "two boys" which turned into 12 :wink: but the boys who grew up together got on alright in a pretty basic cage, but again they were well handled by pupils.

Look forward to seeing the photos :D

Thanks for the reassuring words! Off to collect them tomorrow....we have a big cage and I have made sure that there are lots of hidey holes so that they can have some 'me time' if/when they need it. Boys are very excited - as am I (I think OH is too!)

Lewis, I wept buckets when I had to take Fang and Bob to be PTS and I am 50! Its having to make the descision which is so bad and I felt terribly guilty tho the vet said, on both occasions, it was absolutley the right thing to do. The boys made a little box for Bob and decorated it, stuffed it with bedding and broccoli for the afterlife...even the vet was damp eyed :cry:

Equally I can imagine that, as a vet, this is really hard too as you want to cure animals not have to PTS!

Sadly we only have two, Wun Tun and Hoi Sin, as their brother escaped whilst at the rescue place (?) and, by the time they were re united, the remaining two refused to accept him back!!!

Still they are settling well tho one is much less timid than the other. He is quite happy to be handled and likes to sit in my hand and groom whilst the other just runs through my fingers and is clearly desperate to get away. I have taken them out a few times having let them have three days to get used to the new cage and smells etc. I guess the timid one is just going to need more 'work'....just a few minutes a couple of times a day should, I hope, get him a bit more tame in a week or so.

They are fun to watch esp on the wheel but don't seem to come out at all during the day...unlike the Russian dwarfs. Sadly neither have tails having lost them as babies whilst fighting (or so the rescue place told us!)

Um, now we have 4 hamsters!!!!! We have been rearranging, reallocating and redecorating bedroms for the boys and creating a study so have had to move ES goldfish. They were getting rather large so decided that now was the time to return them to the fish shop for rehoming and swapping for a hamster - limited swimming abilities tho!!!

Found some dwarf Russians near us in Marston (like our lovely Fang and Bob the farting hamster...now sadly departed) so went to collect one. There were 2 grey sisters in the litter and, yes, muggins here fell for both aided and abetted by my boys who egged me on! Were assured that they would be fine together as siblings and tho I had my doubts we took them home.

All fine until 4.00am the following morning when we had hamstergeddon....screeching, screaming and blood! Swiftly down to the shed and made up the spare cage - thanks goodness we had one - so now both boys have a girl Russian and I have my lovely Chinese (who are getting tamer and more fun with lots of handling.)

The two girls are still a bit hissy and I am not happy to let my boys take them out independantly for a while yet as the girls are still getting over their trials and tribulations. However, they were very hand tame when we got them so hoping that more hard work and patience will resolve their nerves in the future.....must have been a big shock for them!

The boys, on the other hand, are great and so cute! I cleaned them out today and held both together - they are much happier and settled. I have been wiping down the levels in their cage daily so as to keep the wee smell to a min and they like to come out and play and have cuddles then!!!

I need to bulk buy sawdust!!!!!

hamster (or other small mammal) advice needed!

we have bought a large cage, sold as being suitable for hamsters and mice but, from the reviews, not good for anything as large as a Syrian.

two daughters, both promised pets.

had thought two dwarf hamsters, but from recent reading that sounds like a Bad Idea. I really dont want to end up with two cages.

is there a variety which is less likely to fight? are boys less likely to fight than girls?

if the cage is suitable for hamsters and mice, could we keep gerbils in it or anything else that likes company?

thanks !

I have been wiping down the levels in their cage daily so as to keep the wee smell to a min and they like to come out and play and have cuddles then!!!

I need to bulk buy sawdust!!!!!

I am sure you know this already, but they can be trained to wee in a certain place - a big jar is good, and easy to clean - keeping the rest of their cage relatively clean, and only one receptacle to clean daily.

Hmmm, the boys are quite old (in hamster terms) so not sure if I can teach an old hamster new tricks! They are a bit like mice (mis classified apparently and more closely related to mice than hamsters) so just seem to do the mouse thing of weeing everywhere :roll: !

Coming back to keeping two small furries together...the male Chinese hamsters have been very successful whereas the two girl dwarf Russians were the ones who fell out. Maybe the Chinese route is the one to go down :think: !