Cat tails

Trip to London!

Just planned a trip with my mom to visit London in October!

It's been years since we've been and I'm really excited!

We have 2 nights and 3 days and I need to plan what we're going to do. Definately want to go to Tower of London and Harrods! :wink:

Any other sightseeing tips from you UK people?

Welcome to the UK...in advance 8):lol:

If you like history then Denis Severs house, East London.....Google it...its set up as it would have been 300 or so years ago. I have wanted to go for ages but not made it yet :wall:

Also Museum of London...has lots of quirky stuff. If you have time then The Greenwich Observatory/Museum - again you can Google it. Plus Cutty Sark, nearby in Greenwich.

I adore history so all recomendations are therefore somewhat biased in that direction! If you have time to take a boat trip down the Thames to Hampton Court thats well worth doing!

So little time........so much to do! Pick and chose according to your interests! Have fun!

PS Harrods is OK but really just another expensive - very - shop!!!!

Welcome to the UK...in advance 8):lol:

If you like history then Denis Severs house, East London.....Google it...its set up as it would have been 300 or so years ago. I have wanted to go for ages but not made it yet :wall:

Also Museum of London...has lots of quirky stuff. If you have time then The Greenwich Observatory/Museum - again you can Google it. Plus Cutty Sark, nearby in Greenwich.

I adore history so all recomendations are therefore somewhat biased in that direction! If you have time to take a boat trip down the Thames to Hampton Court thats well worth doing!

So little time........so much to do! Pick and chose according to your interests! Have fun!

PS Harrods is OK but really just another expensive - very - shop!!!!

Thanks Soapdragon! Will start googling. I know, I know, Harrods is crazy expensive. I have been years ago, but I did find it special in a sort of overwhelmingly consumer way.

Do you like shows? I always like to see a show when in London. I also like a matinee as you can do something in am, have a rest at show and then something later.

We are actually thinking about going to see a show, but there is so much choice! Don't quite know what to pick! :think:

Took my American friends in June this year. Highly recommend a hop on hop off bus as they go to all the tourist places. The tower was splendid. We did 3 nights. 4 days and went on sleeper train from and to Scotland. Lunch at Harrods was my treat and expensive but excellent. We bought chocolate there too about all we could afford. We were there for Trooping the Colour which was fab. We went to see Billy Elliott and it was superb.

You will enjoy it.

My absolute favourites are :

The Museum of London, especially if you're lucky the Crime Museum exhibition will be running. The Crime Museum is the very private museum of the Metropolitan Police, mainly because of gruesomeness and sensitivity for victims' families but they have put together what sounds like a fascinating exhibition with the MofL. I can't wait to see it.

The Southbank which is a lovely, busy walk along the Thames. Nearby is the Imperial War Museum and St Paul's and along the walk there is the Tate, the Globe, The Clink and an Elizabethan ship but I can't remember it's name. There's also the ruins of what was once a powerful cathedral. Lots of places to eat and fantastic views.

If you fancy a Ripper walk I've been recommended Donald Rumbelow, who apparently has a comprehensive knowledge of the history of London and puts on a good show.

Be aware on the tubes. I am 100% sure I was targeted for robbery at a quiet moment when I was on my own. I stared at both the youths and made sure they knew I had clocked their faces. Just don't be a tourist if you know what I mean.

Something I haven't done but I have been told is fun is the cable car over the Thames, near the dome.

Personally, I find places like Piccadilly, Oxford Street and Leicester square, tatty and unpleasant. I would say go to Camden Market which is vibrant, also tatty but more fun. Covent Garden is also ok but it's the streets around it that I prefer.

I'm trying to remember the name of the large Elizabethan department store with all the wooden floors that is nearby. Anyway I can't but that's nice. Carnaby Street is a bit flat these days. Neals Yard is relatively nice for shopping.

Hope some of this is helpful.

The Chelsea Physic Garden is worth a visit. Details on the internet.

Greenwich is also a lovely place to see (just been there today actually!)

Oyster cards are great - you can also pick them up from newsagents displaying the Oyster sign. You usually have to pay £5 per card and then top it up as you go along.

it might also be worth picking up a booklet called London Attractions 2 for 1 offers that you can use if you travel with SouthWest trains. I see you can use it to get into the Tower of London.

www.daysoutguide.co.uk will give you lots of ideas.

Many of the museums are free and the parks are lovely to wander round and eat a picnic (if it's warm enough!).

The hop on hop off buses are a great way to see lots of things in a short space of time and if you are lucky, you will get a real live tour guide who knows London well and can make you laugh with their commentary. You can often find offers on line, but there is never a shortage of people trying to sell you tickets for the variety of tours.

I rather liked the Duck tour. You drive round London for a while and then take to the river in the amphibious vehicle.There was a problem with one a few years ago - one burst into flames in the water! Don't let that put you off. They are all fixed now. You can pick up a Duck tour just behind the London Eye.

Someone mentioned going to a show. Excellent idea! There are several half price ticket booths around town, but again, you can sometimes find offers on line. It is much better to buy tickets direct from the theatre as the agents can often add quite a hefty amount on the price.

Covent Garden is OK, but ridiculously crowded and overpriced. I find nearby China Town more interesting.

Trafalgar square is worth a visit, but sadly, you are banned from feeding the pigeons now!

Hope you have a lovely trip and see all you want to see.

We've spend so much time in London and there's still so much we haven't done. You can spend hours just walking round taking in the sights.

Old Spitalfields Market and Brick Lane are pretty cool. Greenwich is worth the visit and the cable car is good to get over the Thames.

I've still not been but heard good things about the free behind the scenes Spirit Collection Tour at the Natural History Museum. The NHM is great even if you can't get on the tour and only a 10 minute walk from Harrods.

Definitely see a show while you're there, Matilda and Les Mis are great, as is Wicked. A family friend was in the original cast of Billy Elliot and has just left the cast after 10 years. I want to see The Book of Mormon next.

Almost time to go!

Plan so far:

Day 1 - sightseeing

Tower of London

Boat to Millennium bridge

Walk to Westminster and Big Ben

Day 2 - Warner Bros studio!

Visit the Harry Potter studio!

Spend my life savings in the shop!

Visit Covent Garden (mums wish)

Day 3 - Shopping!

Liberty's

Selfridge and all other stores we pass along the way :wink:

Looking forward to it! :dance:

No Christmas tree in Covent Garden, but have seen the Christmas windows of Selfridge!

Had a great trip, but really tired now too.

Day 1:

Arrived with boat in Harwich, took train to Liverpool Street station. Bus to Leadenhall Market and had our selves a nice breakfast in one of the cafes there.

Then walked to the Tower of London, had the Yeoman tour wich is really fun and interesting.

Took the water bus to the Millenium Bridge. Crossed it back to the north bank and had lunch at the Salvation army cafe there. (Which is nice and not very expensive)

Took the metro to Westminster, looked at the Big Ben and the Abbey, took a stroll through the park, marvelled over the squirls and had a look at Buckingham Pallace. Coulnd't get near because of the state visit of the Chinese president...

Went to collect bags, checked in to the hotel (really nice and modern and cheap for London standards, a real recommendation to anyone planning to go!)

Went out to have dinner. Planned on going to the Princess Louise, but that was so incredibly crowded that we looked for something else. Settled on Shakespeare's Head and were again very pleasantly surprised! Good food, fast service and not expensive at all! Drinks were even included!

Day 2:

Got up early, and took the metro and train to Witan station and there the bus to the Warner Bros studios.

Had an amazing tour there, was really interesting! Enjoyed a butterbeer and had a rummage through the shop. My mom bought a present for her little niece. I bought myself a mug and it might be that I also accidently bought the wand of Hermione...

Took the train back and visited Covent Garden and did a bit of Oxford street.

Had dinner again at the Shakespears Head, because it was so nice the previous night.

Day 3:

Took the metro out to Oxford Circus. Started at Liberty (amazing store! Looks lovely and bought myself a mug with the periodic table on it. But they are faking it a bit... The building dates from 1920 although it looks more like 1750)

Moved up through Regent street. Popped in the M&M store... Was too overwhelmed to buy anything!

Went over to Selfridge (yes I know... Again...) bought some gifts. Visited the Disney Store and bought some more gifts (for myself... :whistle: )

Took the metro to Harrods. Had a walk through Hyde park. Got the metro again at Marble Arch to Liverpool street.

Took the train back to the boat and arrived back home this morning.

Now on the couch with some tea. And a very happy cat.

Annnnnd, breathe! Phew. sounds like you really crammed a lot in! So glad that you had a good time. Mind you, I was dissapointed with the butterbeer :doh: it was very sweet :vom:

You are right, Liberty's is a bit misleading architectually (sp?!) but it was built as part of the Arts and Crafts movement back in the early 1900s. So sad to think what was lost in the Great Fire of London - I suppose it all looked like that back then!

Can you post any photos.... 8)

Photo's are coming! I promise!

Feet were killing me yesterday! But it was an awesome trip!

I love the English and especially the tea!

You lot are a lot nicer to strangers. At one point I felt like I had to disappoint a guy, when another guy was already helping me with my bag. Don't ever expect that when coming to Holland...

And at least you lot don't give me weird looks when I want my tea milky!

I don't understand though how Londoners can put up with the Underground in the morning traffic... (Took us 3 tries to get on a metro on Wednesday...)

And your pedestrian traffic lights are positively aggravating! They take absolutely FOREVER! Normally I do wait for the little green man, but after half a day we gave up!