Chucky Mama

What are your neighbours like? Do you even know them?

we love where we live. We are in a very small village and have been here for nearly 5 years now. When we came to have a look where the house was situated we rolled up on our trike with our Border Terrier on the seat beside me in her harness and doggles.

The couple over the road immediately called us over and we got chatting. We thought "what a nice friendly place". We booked a viewing and bought the house straight away. Since we have been here we have made quite a few good friends. Everyone helps each other and we keep an eye on the older members of the village.

The only downside (lol) is if I walk to the postbox which is just around the corner, it usually takes me at least 45 minutes as numerous people stop to chat and I usually come back home with some newly dug potoatoes, or some leek, beans or tomatoes. :lol:

Re the cat poo... try putting down lemon rind

Or orange peel!!!

Best thing still, ever: feed the cats.

Fool proof everytime as cats don't poop where they eat. You eat in the middle of your territory and poop at the edges.

Big downside: you suddenly have a lot of cats... Yes that is experience talking. :roll:

The remark about the cat pooping on the lawn took my attention, because unfortunately my cat, who is otherwise very good, does that and I do hope she does not do it to the neighbours. I dread to ask them. We always have a litter tray in the house which she does not use very much - perhaps it is too close to where she eats, although it is in a different room to her food. We are moving soon so maybe when she is confined indoors I can get her to break the habit.

I have to say that, as a non cat owner (when I would totally expect to have to clean up my garden after my own pet) its horrible having all the neighbourhood cats use my garden as a loo. Equally, as soon as I dig...either to plant something or just dig over to get weeds out etc there is a pile of cat poop the next day.

And just DON'T get me started on the cat who regularly sprays all over our front door, mat, step etc. I must be keeping Zoflora (the smelliest disinfectant I can find) in business. Woe betide any of us who leave shoes/boots on the mat; I have had to throw away two pairs as couldn't get the smell out :vom::vom: I have to Febreeze the hall carpet as sometimes it has got trodden in too :twisted:

Don't misunderstand me; I am not against cats per se...just the horribly antisocial things they do on my property! Rant over :roll:

My neighbours have small children, and they often knock to ask if they can see the chickens, so we sit them down in the garden and give them each a hen to handle. I always plant some eggs in the nest for them to take home. When we used to do hatching, there were queues for watching and holding chickies 8)

When I worked on the estate, I brought home ducklings and orphan lambs; they weren't staying long, just on their way to their new home. The ducklings had been hatched out in an incy behind my desk.

Valkyrie, I haven't heard of Jeyes Fluid in powdered form but the liquid form is poisonous to cats. They pick it up on the pads of their feet and when they lick their paws it can kill them. I don't know if the powder is the same, and I'm really sorry that you're having trouble with a cat spraying in your porch, but I'd urge you to find an alternative.

One side I have a russian family with five kids, two of whom are severely disabled, they are not able to talk so vocalise very loudly all day and most of the night! That said I have no problem with this at all as it makes me count my lucky stars every day.

They have a brand new people mover and a mini bus picks up the kids for school much to the consternation of the one bigot in the close!, she doesn't have a good word to day about anyone especially MY neighbours....I have reminded her on more than one occasion these lovely people are only getting what they are entitled too nothing more nothing less.

They don't speak very good English but I can tell they are greatful for the eggs that are left on the doorstep every few days.

The other side is an African lady who is a nurse and is at work all the time so I hardly see her but she has a bit of bother recently and was unfortunate enought to have bailiffs on her doorstep at 6am being very intimidating so I offered her the ££ to pay them. She took it and paid me back within the month. They came to collect a parking ticket her son had got and ignored so for a £65.00 ticket it became a £375.00 debt!!!

T

Regarding the cat mess and spraying. We were told by a very well known animal rescue centre when we got our cats NEVER to use any disinfectant or bleach etc. it encourages the cats back...maybe why you need shares in zooflora lol.

They told us to use a diluted wash of biological washing powder. I suppose that makes sense the enzymes in it killing off the nasties. Anyway when my pesky cat kept spraying I did wash it down with that and she didn't go back to the same place. It left washing powder streaks on my front door and step when it dried that I subsequently washed away but it seemed to work for us.

Regarding the cat mess and spraying. We were told by a very well known animal rescue centre when we got our cats NEVER to use any disinfectant or bleach etc. it encourages the cats back...maybe why you need shares in zooflora lol.

They told us to use a diluted wash of biological washing powder. I suppose that makes sense the enzymes in it killing off the nasties. Anyway when my pesky cat kept spraying I did wash it down with that and she didn't go back to the same place. It left washing powder streaks on my front door and step when it dried that I subsequently washed away but it seemed to work for us.

This is true as the two former cleaners contain ammonia, which is the element which encourages them to pee again in the same area. As has been said, biological laundry liquid is good, as is Simple Solution, or diluted vinegar.

The powder seems to work nicely - have used it over the years (I have gravel so it bounces down in between the gaps - there is a slight lemon scent) and the 2 culprits that I have caught in the act a fair few times are still alive and kicking and heading into old age now. It trickles through the gaps in the stones but effective enough to disinfect. I don't use the liquid because it's too pongy for me to put up with - that kills everything though!!! I don't know how long the powder lasts but it is a good enough deterrent that keeps them away for many months, probably because they have found a new place to mark or mess in and it doesn't seem to affect woodlice or other insects. Also my next door neighbour who owns one of the offenders actually put cat poo in our dustbin - my daughter watched him do it as she came in! He hasn't done that since we returned it. He has a habit of moving our bins around - even though they are on our property!

Vinegar is good for indoor accidents with litter trays though.

Sorry, Valkyrie - didn't mean to sound :shameonu: it's just my former next-door-neighbour, who was lovely in many many ways, used to wash her path with liquid Jeyes fluid even after I'd told her about the risk. She loved my old cat, and used to feed her milk and salmon - despite being told that the cat was on a low-protein diet for kidney disease. :roll: It is really irritating to have cats fouling your garden.

Can I be nosy and ask where you get your bicarb etc from? I'm planning to use up my cleaning stuff and move over to simpler methods.

hahaha, no apology needed Olly. I didn't know. It makes me gag - my dad used it all the time (but with my cat going on till 18 she probably steered clear). I have used it in the greenhouse here one year but oh never again!!! And as we have a really cute postie I don't want him rushing off! :lol:

I got the bicarb from e-bay. Never had a go before because I don't do Paypal because it didn't recognise me as a different person to hubby and then we really messed it all up and have no idea what password is on there now! :roll: But yayyy I can be a guest so oopsie I may have got carried away. It was part of a collection so will test - there must be larger quantities of bicarb available somewhere on there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Vinegar-5-litre-2kg-Bicarbonate-of-Soda-Free-5ml-Orange-Essential-Oil-/271985995416