Chortle Chook

Recommendation required for a roughty toughty winter jacket

My dear old Blackhouse waxed half coat is about to give up the ghost after nearly 20 years :cry: . Blackhouse was taken over years ago by Barber. Although Barbers are a whole lot more expensive, they don't have any warmth at all so you spend a lot on the jacket and then have to spend even more on a waistcoat contraption to go under it.

I was at the Berkshire county show on Sunday and hummed and hahhed over a 'Sherwood riding jacket' which seemed like it might be both water proof and warmish, but in the end I did not buy it. I rather regret that now but don't dare buy one online as there seem to be so many different ranges. What makes / styles would you recommend for a good country walk? I don't want to pay all of my monthly wage on a jacket, on the other hand I don't want one of those water proof items that does not breath and causes you to swelter inside. Please help indecisive me :think:

I recently climbed up a pretty stiff hill in the pouring rain wearing my tog 24 waterproof. I walked 8 miles altogether and the jacket was brilliant. I would say that it helped me because of the quality.

Although I got naturally warm from exertion I didn't get overhot or sweaty , I felt cosy and comfortable and it was very lightweight. It has all those technical linings. The hood is deep so that if you wear your hair up the front of your face is still covered.

I was very pleased with it.

They have outlet stores which is where I got mine.

I bought a long Berghaus coat a couple of years ago and it's so warm and cosy that I wish I'd bought one years ago for all those football/rugby matches/rowing tournaments :roll: .

Depends what you'll be doing in your jacket - this is ideal for non-active things like standing about! I wouldn't wear it for any form of strenuous activity.

This is similar to mine. I disagree that it's "stylish" but I don't care as long as I'm warm :D .

I would love a Seasalt raincoat. When we went to Cornwall recently, we were meant to camp near Fowey where there is a shop so I could try the coats on and see what suited me. Sadly we didnt go there, and I have yet to try on their coats to see what would fit. I really do need one, especially after the soaking I got yesterday walking the dog. The typical thing happened though, as soon as I got home, the sun was out and the rain cloud had gone :evil:

I have a couple of Barbours which are great for Spring, summer and Autumm but not warm enough for winter. I bought a tweed shooting jacket for Winter. It is waterproof and has a nice quilted lining. Its roomy enough to get a jumper under if its very cold too. Cost me £65 so not bad compared to the Barbour equivalent. If it is really raining hard - I wear my full length Drizabone coat.

I would love a Seasalt raincoat. When we went to Cornwall recently, we were meant to camp near Fowey where there is a shop so I could try the coats on and see what suited me. Sadly we didnt go there, and I have yet to try on their coats to see what would fit. I really do need one, especially after the soaking I got yesterday walking the dog. The typical thing happened though, as soon as I got home, the sun was out and the rain cloud had gone :evil:

Seasalt are opening lots of new branches (hope they don't overdo like some shops have :anxious::anxious: ) so it's worth a look at their website to see if one has opened/is opening near you anytime soon?

I have had a weird fish waterproof jacket for a couple of winters now. I love it. Mine has a fur lining inside and is breathable. We camp all year round and I'm not cold in it although on very cold days I layer up. It has enough room to do so.

It's never leaked. I rate their products but they aren't to everyone's taste. Here is a link to their latest jackets and coats

http://www.weirdfish.co.uk/p/women/coats-jackets

I bought a Regatta 3/4 jacket (waterproof with a cosy lining) last spring in the sale at the local garden centre. Never again! Within weeks the zips on the pockets had seized up, the lining was coming unstitched and the hood was coming off ....all in spite of the fact that I had hardly worn it (it was spring, after all!) When I tried to take it back I was told, by Regatta, that I must have put it through 'undue wear and tear' and they would not budge! :shameonu:

Never again will I buy Regatta ANYTHING on principal :twisted:

OH bought me a long waterproof coat...looks waxed but isn't ..a few years back. Not padded in any way but a size too large so I can layer. It totally cuts out that horrible gap between a 3/4 coat and long wellies when you end up with soggy mid thighs and knees in wet weather. Trouble is, its prob more for riding and has straps sewen into the front flaps (presumably to secure to legs when sitting on a horse) which I usually manage to trip over as I am getting out of the car. Not good when on the school run; the other mothers must think I've been on the gin as I gracefully tumble out of the drivers seat :roll::oops:

:lol: that's a good image!

I have an array of outdoor wear, waterproof and otherwise, I have just waxed my boots... next on the list is to wax my chaps and jacket - they last really well, and are warm and waterproof.

Layering up is the way to go, and in winter, I always have a baselayer top on when I am out; very lightweight and incredibly warm.

I'm a bit chicken (no pun intended) when it comes to big shopping centres :roll: but have just this min ordered one from Amazon. It's 100% waxed cotton outside and has a cotton lining, and is about half the price of the one I was trying on at the Newbury show so I'm quite chuffed though a little anxious about the size. :anxious: I normally take a 10 but went for a 12 so that I can follow people's advice about layering up.

The thing that really amazed me is that I'd been looking on Amazon but had decided they were all too expensive when suddenly today I get this email showing various alternatives exactly along the lines of what I'd been looking at, and suggesting I look again. Seems a bit 'big brother watching me' but impressively efficient. What I don't understand is how, if Amazon can do this, how come UTube can't tell if people are loading up images of hostages having their heads cut off and take them down immediately? :think:

Edited by Guest