mullethunter

UPDATE DEC 2015 - Fox or hedgehog?

Since yesterday when I shut the girls into the run for bed, a small, black pile of poo has appeared next to the run.

It's a coiled pile (like a fake one), very dark coloured and soft (sorry :vom:). The pile is about 5cm across and the actual poo is about 1cm diameter. My sense of smell is hopeless but don't think it smells too bad.

So the question is, Fox or Hedgehog? I know there are hedgehogs here but their poo when I've seen it before has just been little short bits (similar diameter though), don't know about Foxes.

What do you reckon? I'll try to post photo later.

Edited by Guest

the description doesn't quite fit either but it's nearer to fox but even with a poor sense of smell I can normally smell the scent of a fox or tom cat fox poo is normally a messy dollop not a coil and normally black but that depends on weather some misguided fool is feeding them pet food but the fox smell is normally still there of a few hours

My money would be on a fox. You don't usually come across hedgehog poo, I don't know where they do it but you rarely see it! From my experience of hedgehog poo, it doesn't look like that. Foxes will use poo to mark territory so will do bits here and there and there may well be mature cubs around too. Unlikely but don't rule out cat poo :think:

We have 2 cats and there are others around. I know their poo and it never looks like that. I'm afraid I think it's a fox. No more leaving them out whilst I nip to the shop (although it's not the sort of place you see foxes during the day, we're neither rural or urban enough) and I'll have to double up defences when re-siting the run this weekend.

I know it is rather large but the colour and shape is right for a hedgehog. They normally look at lot smaller though, but if it a large one eating to fatten up for Winter I think they could be that size. We had a small hedgehog in over Winter and fattened him up best we could and put him in a hibernation box in an unheated bedroom. He was on hedgehog food and the amount of poo he created was incredible. When we put him into the garden he gorged on snails and there were piles of poo slightly smaller than that all over the place. He grew very large indeed.

That's fox poo. We regularly see that sort in our garden and the night vision cameras pick up the fox when it does it.

Please don't assume you're not urban enough to see a fox during daytime. We're not especially urban either but we see them a lot, especially this time of year when mature cubs have left home.

Came home at lunch time, collected Bernie's egg ( :dance: ) and let the girls out for half an hour. Well, opened the run but the girls just looked at me and wouldn't come out which is unheard of. I left them to it thinking they'd come out in a minute and came back to the house. When I got back in OH was shouting 'Get back outside there's a fox!'. In the middle of the day a fox had been sitting on our decking outside the patio doors! I ran out yelling at it and it scarpered.

Case closed - definitely a fox!