Willow

Wondering who tweets and any words of wisdom

I've been making myself use Twitter partly so I understand it better as I need to understand any new technology and also as a way of promoting me from a work expertise angle - freelance work in non conventional role so need To 'put myself out there'.

I'm definitely a bit more comfortable with it and made it to 100 tweets :clap: yes I know should be in the thousands :lol:

So I wondered how many of you tweet? Why? any advice on getting more interactive ? as so far it's mostly me commenting on and linking to info relevant to my areas of expertise.

Sorry, I have a Twitter account but I just don't 'get' it - I've made about ten tweets in three years. I use Facebook all the time but I don't really understand how Twitter works.

I'll be reading this thread with interest in the hope of gleaning some understanding!

I love Twitter :D

There's not much to 'get'... Just post what you're up to, retweet what you find interesting and if people find it interesting they'll follow you. I can probably count on one hand the Facebook statuses I've posted in the last year but tweet all the time. I've arranged placements, asked experts for advice, bought gig tickets and even my orange eglu on twitter! (orange eglu)

I have a personal account which is mainly just about vet school and exams but made a separate account purely for poultry stuff which is @DrChicken

I hardly tweet, but do follow some things.

Mainly traffic information (which is loads quicker), a local team of newspeople who only report things that happen in my immediate area with photo's and video's and the police motor academy.(because they tweet cool pics and video's of their assignments)

I don't tweet or use Facebook as I just can't see the point :?

However, my husband is self employed and he uses Facebook as he says it's a handy tool to get your message out and to make useful contacts. You just have to be careful what you put on there.

What worries me is the amount of personal information some people put on social media, especially a lot of youngsters who seem very trusting and could leave themselves wide open to all sorts of problems later down the line.

I'm reluctantly wondering if it's an age thing :lol:

I like Facebook although I felt somewhat silly posting statuses initially. I do worry about people posting too much but curiously neither of my teen boys post on Facebook or Twitter or any social media. They use Facebook for group chats with friends but all private.

I'm interested your husband found facebook useful for work Sil-il, as my work is consultancy services to business I assumed Facebook wouldn't be any point for me (and I sort of hope not as I'd like to keep Facebook for family and friends) does he provides goods/services to general public or to businesses?

Lewis I signed to follow you on Twitter, hoping I'll get more comfortable if I see how other people use it. :oops:

Ok, how do you find things like traffic information and gig tickets?

I think part of the difficulty for me is that when I open Twitter I'm overwhelmed by the volume of information. On Facebook it's much more visual and it's people I know, but Twitter is much less clear. I wouldn't know where to start to look for an Eglu!

I'm self-employed and I've wondered about setting up a Facebook page but I wouldn't want clients to see my personal account (although it's quite innocuous!).

There is a search function on Twitter so just search for a few things, follow a few people who interest you and then they will suggest other users who are similar.

Hashtags can be used to group interests and events, lots of modern events and conferences have hashtags so people can network and interact.

Facebook Pages (which you Like, not add as a friend) are completely separate from your personal account. Great for businesses :D

I'm interested your husband found facebook useful for work Sil-il, as my work is consultancy services to business I assumed Facebook wouldn't be any point for me (and I sort of hope not as I'd like to keep Facebook for family and friends) does he provides goods/services to general public or to businesses?

Hi Willow,

He has many fingers in many pies but it's mainly to other businesses and mostly to clients who know him so he finds it useful to keep folk updated as to what he's working on along with venting his opinions on various topics which I won't bore you with here :roll: He does post the occasional photo - usually of the ladies or one of the cats doing something daft - but for the most part he avoids doing the general "just had a ham sandwich for dinner" kind of malarkey.

I wouldn't worry too much if you prefer not to use Facebook for your work, it's just his preference :)