soapdragon

News Headlines

I don't watch much TV and I always seem to miss the news on the wireless so I've taken to clicking on the news once or twice a day when I log on. It's good to catch up with the daily goings on and I try to keep up with the important stuff but I must admit to preferring the more newsy news to the serious, political side of life (lightweight :roll: ) Some of the 'quickie' headliners are great though....one that caught my eye just now was 'Butcher uses black pudding to escape walk in freezer' :shock::lol:

Does anybody else struggle with catching up on the news? Anyone listen every hour on the hour? Anyone just not bothered? How do you like your news....online, wireless or TV?

Edited by Guest

I usually watch BBC Breakfast when I'm, well, eating my breakfast!!

I have the recorder set to automatically record the Daily/Sunday Politics programme each day - we usually watch (most of) this as we eat lunch (sandwich, whatever).

Just in case you think I live in front of the TV, we almost always eat dinner at the dinner table. :)

H

I usually watch BBC Breakfast when I'm, well, eating my breakfast!!

I have the recorder set to automatically record the Daily/Sunday Politics programme each day - we usually watch (most of) this as we eat lunch (sandwich, whatever).

Just in case you think I live in front of the TV, we almost always eat dinner at the dinner table. :)

H

I live in front of the telly! Joys of living alone! :wink::lol:

We tend to watch BBC Breakfast and then I check the BBC website during the day.

One thing that really irritates me about the BBC though, is the number of times they will present a news feature about some topic or other and then say "to find out more, watch our full report on Panorama (or similar) on BBC 1 at 7pm tonight" - so what they've given us is a glorified trailer for one of their own shows! :wall:

When I had school age children we would always have BBC Breakfast on as they were getting ready in the morning because I wanted them to have an awareness of what was happening in the world. Now that they are either moved out or at uni most of the time we start our day with radio 4 and both have news apps on our phones. I follow BBC news on Facebook and Twitter and local news on Twitter too. We only read the papers at a weekend.

We too have BBC breakfast on in the morning from when we wake up to when we go out the door. Then when I’m working away from the office I always have radio 2 on in my van so news most hours, then I always check the BBC website a couple of times an evening.

I almost definitely am more ‘connected’ that necessary, but although I have several friends who do it, I don’t understand the attitude that ‘the news is depressing so I don’t watch it’ - sticking your head in the sand doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.

Once again ‘climbs-down-from-soapbox’ :oops:

A couple of years ago when the hurricane weather was forecast for the South West I telephoned my niece to check she had secured her washing line, garden furniture etc, I was met with "what hurricane weather" - the one that's been on the news for days I reply, " oh not seen that as I don't watch the news" . Well her smalls could have ended up anywhere in Devon.

I check BBC news online in the morning and like Mullet listen to Radio 2 during the day so get news on the hour.

Looking at MSN this morning to catch up on any 'overnighters' and saw a bit about a chap who had finally, after 10 years, worked out how to use his dishwasher properly. Turns out he thought the dishwasher wasn't designed to take big dinner plates so, for 10 years, he'd been washing all his dinner plates in the sink.....BUT he then found that the racks could be moved up/down to accommodate bigger items!!!!!! Ta dah!

I feel his pain!

There was also a story about a rich Croatian trophy hunter who had spent a great deal of time and money all over the world shooting wild animals of every sort (well, probably not mice!) and had a home full of stuffed heads etc.

He was on a lion hunt in a specially set up 'reserve' and.....accidentally got shot and killed. Poetic justice........ :think: