oneyolktoanother

Places to buy pure breeds

there's Hoar park Farm on the back Road to Nuneaton from Coleshill Ansty Common I think they only have a small selection through I've had day olds from them a couple of times the only other place is over Malvern way Newland something I think. there's also Cotswold Chickens

I'm in Birmingham and we are lacking in stockists, quite a few around us though.

Sunnyside Poultry in Burton upon Trent are good for pure breeds and while they have limited opening hours they are quite accommodating if you ask. I used to get my hybrids from Cotswold Chickens.

Warwickshire Chicken Coop were another one but they're scaling back chicken sales this year, just offering boarding and coops.

I was really disappointed with The Poultry Centre at Towcester, they have a great selection of breeds but they're in tiny pens and were all pecked a lot. I spoke to a few people there who fobbed me off with excuses, talking to me as if I knew nothing about chickens :clap:

I was really disappointed with The Poultry Centre at Towcester, they have a great selection of breeds but they're in tiny pens and were all pecked a lot. I spoke to a few people there who fobbed me off with excuses, talking to me as if I knew nothing about chickens :clap:

Oh no Lewis. I was thinking of going to Towcester to get my new girls as there is no where else that I can find. Such a shame that Merrydale have closed.

Lewis do you know anywhere else in the Rutland Northants Leicestershire area?

Chrissie

If you're close then pop in to Towcester/Bell Plantation and have a look as it's been a couple years since I visited but I've just looked online and the pure breed prices seem a bit silly to me! £95 for a trio of Serama and Plymouth Rocks.

Happy to be proved wrong if they've improved things recently!

What breeds are you after Chrissie? There are lots of breeders in Northants if you know what you're after.

Ben at Mini Meadows is nice, I visited with Sha and kids and loved the alpacas! :D

I've been following this with interest - I've been desperately trying to track down good breeders of Araucana's and it's so hard to find anyone with pullets they're willing to sell. I think I've emailed every Araucana breeder in the country this past week haha.

Did you want bantams or full sized birds?

This is a tricky time of the year to be contacting breeders for stock as they are going through their own flocks and deciding what to keep, and what to sell. You may find more available later in the year when they will be selling last year's birds and also might have hatching stock.

Have you been in touch with the breed clubs, and will you be going to any shows? That's the best way to pick up stock.

Let me know what you are looking for and I will see if I know of any. Roughly where are you located?

Did you want bantams or full sized birds?

This is a tricky time of the year to be contacting breeders for stock as they are going through their own flocks and deciding what to keep, and what to sell. You may find more available later in the year when they will be selling last year's birds and also might have hatching stock.

Have you been in touch with the breed clubs, and will you be going to any shows? That's the best way to pick up stock.

Let me know what you are looking for and I will see if I know of any. Roughly where are you located?

Thanks - I'm willing to be patient so I don't mind waiting to see if any more birds become available in Spring.

I've contacted the breed club but not had a reply yet - I've had a few breeders say they can only give me hatching eggs or chicks not pullets, and a few breeders who don't have lavenders. One lovely lady has got back to me and said that lavenders don't usually do well at shows which I wasn't aware of, so she suggested I get blacks/whites - she's going to get back to me tomorrow and let me know whether she has and lavenders and blacks available.

I'm located in Manchester but I don't mind travelling - I just want to make sure I get good birds from good lines.

I don't know how up to date this information is but I found this supplier:

Chicken Breeds: Araucana, Welsummer, Hybrids

Address:

Swallow Barn,

Sabden,

BB7 9DT

Phone Numbers: 01200 323995

email: swallowbarnpoultry@gmail.com

'Small flock of pure breeds and hybrids. Araucana hatching eggs and chicks sometimes available'

I don't know how up to date this information is but I found this supplier:

Chicken Breeds: Araucana, Welsummer, Hybrids

Address:

Swallow Barn,

Sabden,

BB7 9DT

Phone Numbers: 01200 323995

email: swallowbarnpoultry@gmail.com

'Small flock of pure breeds and hybrids. Araucana hatching eggs and chicks sometimes available'

Thanks Hippie Chick I'll get in touch. I have had one member of the Araucana club say to get back in touch in July so I think I'll just have to be patient if I want to hold out for the best birds...

Also I noticed that you've got an Araucana (in your signature). Do you enjoy keeping them? I've only heard good things so far...I loved my CLB's and thought they were beautiful looking but I don't want to get them again as they will remind me of Florence and Marge too much :( I still want blue egg layers though so Araucana's seemed like a good choice.

Clara is my lavender araucana - she's very possibly my favourite out of the lot. Unfortunately the place I got mine from stopped selling chickens due to the bird flu outbreak a few years ago, they felt it wasn't worth carrying on with all the restrictions. Clara is very friendly and actually likes and wants to be carried around, she loves the attention. She has the biggest character out of the lot of them and is a very good layer of turquoise to light blue coloured eggs, about 4 a week. The eggs are equivalent to a supermarket small size, I save hers for boiled eggs as they are so tasty and the yolk is large.

She's a bit out of the ordinary in that she goes broody a lot. She will lay about 10 eggs then is broody again but it's just the luck of the draw as they're not really known for being as broody as that. Unlike some hens that apparently get annoyed when they're broody she's still thrilled to be picked up and thinks her broody cage is a special treat just for her and marches into it herself once I've turfed her off everyone else's eggs! She's probably a bit deranged lol.

She fits in with the rest of the flock very well, although she's the smallest one she doesn't get bullied and is good natured with those lower in the pecking order.

If I were starting over again I'd choose a flock of Araucanas and pure bred Sussex.

Edited to add - just seen Dogmother's post above mine "mad as heck" :lol: sounds about right!

Clara is my lavender araucana - she's very possibly my favourite out of the lot. Unfortunately the place I got mine from stopped selling chickens due to the bird flu outbreak a few years ago, they felt it wasn't worth carrying on with all the restrictions. Clara is very friendly and actually likes and wants to be carried around, she loves the attention. She has the biggest character out of the lot of them and is a very good layer of turquoise to light blue coloured eggs, about 4 a week. The eggs are equivalent to a supermarket small size, I save hers for boiled eggs as they are so tasty and the yolk is large.

She's a bit out of the ordinary in that she goes broody a lot. She will lay about 10 eggs then is broody again but it's just the luck of the draw as they're not really known for being as broody as that. Unlike some hens that apparently get annoyed when they're broody she's still thrilled to be picked up and thinks her broody cage is a special treat just for her and marches into it herself once I've turfed her off everyone else's eggs! She's probably a bit deranged lol.

She fits in with the rest of the flock very well, although she's the smallest one she doesn't get bullied and is good natured with those lower in the pecking order.

If I were starting over again I'd choose a flock of Araucanas and pure bred Sussex.

Edited to add - just seen Dogmother's post above mine "mad as heck" :lol: sounds about right!

That's good to know! None of my hens have ever been broody...one of the CLB's didn't start laying until much later on in the year than the other two but I think her sister (or half sister) was actually a hybrid as she was a much more consistent layer - but she laid cream eggs! We also had a Bluebelle who was a fantastic layer, but she was very big as much as I loved her she used to dig up my plants something awful - her feet were huge!

I also like the look of Sussex, and Vorwerks...I'd like to see some first hand but I may add them a couple of them my flock in time, along with the ex-batts that are coming in March. I can only keep 5-6 so I want to make sure I choose right!