So I spent many hours chicken wiring the bottom half of the run to keep rats out. So now the blighters climb the trees and jump down using the roosting bars! Little monsters....

They also seem very interested in the Grandpa feeders. Don't know if they've figured out that their combined weight can open them or just trying their luck. So back to taking in the water and weighing shut feeders every night until they give up.  Meh.

Poor chickens are not liking their presence top,  don't blame them especially after one found a way inot the kitchen 😷😷. Can't seem to catch them though! And the dogs are too good with other animals now that they do nothing 😂

16 hours ago, rachel84 said:

I don't like the idea of poisoning them as it can't be a pleasant process and another animal might then eat the remains - an air rifle if you're confident I find works well, just get a bit of target practise in before you tackle a rat!

Lol.  Might be worth a try as they are proving impossible to catch!

14 hours ago, Grandmashazzie said:

I think it is a huge design flaw of Omlet runs,that they are not a smaller gauge to prevent rodents getting in. I loved the look of the cube run but choose a WIR from another supplier as it was wire meld and rodent proof. I don’t think Mr Rat will give up anytime soon.

It is a huge flaw. 

Oh no. Was hoping they would. And there's at least 4 :( cannot catch them either so not sure what to do there!

I would never use poison either. As said an air rifle works well but you need a good telescopic sight as the come out at dusk, when a cheap sight can't collect enough light. Trapping depends a lot on the bait (peanut butter works) and the position of the trap and they won't go near it for a few weeks anyway. We had a huge problem in England which we never got on top of as the rats lived under sheds in the neighbouring gardens and came to us to feed.

Yes,  I would never risk poison especially not with 2 dogs and garden hedgehogs.  Plus as annoying as they are poison seems a pretty horrible way to die!

They live next door but one in a derelict house I think. They've started work on the house so fingers crossed they have to relocate. Ah good to know re 2 week wait with traps will just keep waiting.  I think our efforts mean they are bothering a little less, chickens seem a bit calmer anyway.  Feel sorry for the resident robins as there's nowhere I can feed them now.  Luckily they do wait - after chirping at me- and I can feed them on demand! 

Edited by Natspringy

On 21/09/2018 at 6:49 PM, Grandmashazzie said:

I think it is a huge design flaw of Omlet runs,that they are not a smaller gauge to prevent rodents getting in. I loved the look of the cube run but choose a WIR from another supplier as it was wire meld and rodent proof. I don’t think Mr Rat will give up anytime soon.

Quite agree, Grandmashazzie.  I really regret getting on Omlet WIR.  

One tip that I was given is that Rats require a source of water to absorb their food so it’s essential to remove all water sources along with the food.  I’m afraid I have resorted to poison this year when I found two in the nesting box.  I use a bait box and put it in a place which is a known rat run, but not accessible to dogs, etc.

It’s quiet at the moment but I’m dreading the winter.   My philosophy is that I’ll never completely get rid of them because they live in surrounding gardens in the compost heaps etc.  I just don’t want them in my runs! 

We had trouble with rats and I even put a video on here somewhere to show it wriggling through the Omlet wire.

Disgusting thing.

We bought a rat killing trap but only ever caught the odd mouse.

We resorted to covering the whole of the Omlet run in cm squared galvanised wire.

Expensive but it has worked and we've not seen ratty at all.

On 9/23/2018 at 7:37 PM, Natspringy said:

Ooh yes!  But do you think they'll use poison?! Worry they'd crawl to mine then die!

Unlikely as they seem to die very quickly from the poison and end up really close to the bait box. 

I can lend you two lurchers who are champion rat catchers! :wink:

Edited by The Dogmother
  • Like 1

Eek ! The Bain of the poultry keeper.

i had an infestation a couple of years back and saw two rats this year. In response and to cure the panic I purchased two rat proof chicken feeders. Worth their money in my opinion. Haven’t seen any rats since. Even put up hubbys night camera with movement sensor and it found nothing so I am happy.

I have two feeders for six medium sized hens. If you have mixed sizes they would be difficult as you need them a certain height from the ground (hen shoulder height). As one of my girls is an Araucana I have one a little lower but it doesn’t seem to stop the others using it. May be different for bantams though.

6BBE43B5-05CF-46DC-A596-9848FF7D01FA.jpeg

Edited by DebbyTutton
  • Like 1

Having never seen any evidence of rats at my place, I discovered last week that one had been burrowing under the Go that I still had out in case of problems getting the Dutch girls in with the rest of the flock.

Helped me get on with finishing the integration process, and having removed the food and taken the two floor trays out and back door off the house (before I had time to take house and run all apart) I haven’t seen any further sign if Mr rat. I then moved the whole run and house today.