redhotchick

Take one whole free range chicken

I wanted to do one of those despatch courses years ago, when lots of other omleteers did. I wish I had, but it's not top of my list of things to do at the moment. 

I ate every bit of my whole chicken and didn't feel like I was eating the same thing every day so that was good. I had cajun chicken breast, pollo leoni (which is a flattened chicken breast dipped in flour, then an egg and parmesan mix) I had a thai stir fry with 100g of trimmings, I made stock with the carcass, which I used in a Tana Ramsay sausage casserole, and I put the legs in a Jamie Oliver Pukka curry, which I had for dinner and a couple of lunches in work. 

oh and I cooked the wings at the same time as the Cajun Chicken and had them as a late night snack!

Now, what to do with half a leg of lamb......

Edited by redhotchick
added wings
  • Like 1

Slow cook with red currant jelly and garlic.    Cube some for a shepherds pie with lots of carrots, onions, peas and beans to bulk it out. When you only have a little bit left you could make a lamb, potato and cashew massaman or Rogan curry. 

4 minutes ago, ajm200 said:

Slow cook with red currant jelly and garlic.    Cube some for a shepherds pie with lots of carrots, onions, peas and beans to bulk it out. When you only have a little bit left you could make a lamb, potato and cashew massaman or Rogan curry

So I was thinking, cut a steak off and pan fry, make a curry, good shout on the massaman, I've never made it before but love to eat it! Also as my OH is in Thailand I'm trying to mirror some of the food that he is eating. With what's left on the bone I'd make a stew of some sort (scouse is my local stew!)

• Like 1

Just now, ajm200 said:

I buy little pots of massaman paste.  They are made buy the company who make all the stir fry sauces.  Something dragon?  If I’m making it for adults I buy a spice kit too for extra zing. 

Oo! now that sounds like a good idea! I was imagining starting from scratch!

11 hours ago, mullethunter said:

My mum does ‘lamb and onions’ with left over roast lamb. Basically fry a LOT of onions, then mix in chopped leftover roast lamb and leftover gravy, top with par boiled sliced potatoes then brush on melted butter and bake until the top is crispy. Yum.

Sounds a bit like a Lancashire hot pot. Mmm, will put Lancashire hot pot on list of things to make when OH gets home. He'll be fed up with rice and curry by then! x

O ye gods - why am I reading this when I missed lunch!  

And I wonder who runs those courses! :D

I have considered having chickens for dual purpose, but I'm getting more like - I hate killing, but I love eating!  I think when we get set up a little better I'll hatch - surplus ladies can be either rehomed or sent to freezer camp - same for the boys who will be sent to freezer camp.  Meanwhile we are drowning in eggs with 6 girls and two of those are freeloaders!