Cat tails

Tiny pond

I left the fish in the pond this winter with a heater on a timer (because the heaters lowest setting was 18 degrees and the fishies should do well with temps as low as 10 degrees. Only had it on permanently during the week of snow and ice.

Well...

Fishies did something they shouldn’t have. They made babies! Technically I only have males. Practically that clearly can’t be the case! 😅

6CA10B91-93BF-4AE9-8CCC-D9EBBE314590.jpeg

19 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

Wow!!!! How cool!! Although possibly not as there probably isn’t that much space!

Well this is why I went for a boys only pond! 😂
I might convince a friend she needs fish in her pond too! 😏

12 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

Congratulations!   I had a situation where a heron dropped a goldfish in our garden.  Popped him/her in a neighbours pond. They ended up with babies.   Maybe you had a female dropped in your pond? 

They are Chinese mountain minnows. Very small fish and not really heron material. The pond is only 60 L. Don’t think herons know it’s there!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Cat tails said:

Well this is why I went for a boys only pond! 😂

Sounds like the scene from Jurassic Park......perhaps yours have changed sex too.

The bigger fish might eat them and keep your numbers down, otherwise, like you said, your friend might need some.

• Like 1

It isn't real easy to sex them either, so a female could easily have slipped in. Will see what happens with them. It's hard to spot the older ones right now, so really no clue how many are there in total. Will have a good look once the weather is a bit better and I can clear out the pond, without scaring any frogs/toads.

On 6/9/2019 at 7:52 AM, Patricia W said:

Sadly, we had two hedgehogs drown in our small pond.  Maybe put s rock or something in so anything that can’t swim can get out?   I still have nightmares about ours which is no more...

I read hedgehogs are good swimmers they just need a slope in order to climb out safely??

On 6/9/2019 at 7:52 AM, Patricia W said:

Sadly, we had two hedgehogs drown in our small pond.  Maybe put s rock or something in so anything that can’t swim can get out?   I still have nightmares about ours which is no more...

I read hedgehogs are good swimmers they just need a slope in order to climb out safely??

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jen346 said:

Since asking you lovely lot for advice we decided to keep our pond and have frogs much to my Sons delight 🤞 we get some frogspawn, yours looks lovely, look forward to seeing who visits

Want some fish? 😂

It’s amazing how many animals manage to find the smallest bit of water! Great frogs you have there!

I have a toad and at least one brown frog. Although I do think the pond is a bit small for frog spawn. At least I hope the frogs know that too! 😳

• Like 1

@Jen346 I'm so glad you kept your pond and how amazing that you have frogspawn already.

Our school pond has loads of frogspawn but I hardly ever get any - I tend to get toadspawn instead - I think you don't get both, something to do with toadspawn being toxic or something.

Toads lay in strings instead of dollops. 

Can't wait to hear what else comes to your pond 😊

The water looks beautifully clear @Cat tails

In a brief moment of sunshine, I checked the temperature of my pond, 12degs today, and as I popped the thermometer back in, I spotted lots of tadpoles.

I was quite surprised because I hadn't seen any spawn at all.

I think they are toad tadpoles and they made my day - I'm easily pleased.

• Like 2

So did remove a lot of stuff from the pond and added two new plants. Discovered in the process I still have large fishies too. And mister frog was keeping an eye on proceedings. 
Two years on, I’m still very happy with this tiny addition to my tiny garden.

5B4C2AD1-C77E-4728-97C2-244E4559B30F.jpeg

B92EE6A1-B5AB-44E7-9029-0D096D3DE458.jpeg

27E68EAC-180F-4948-ABDE-F84286C4DB4B.jpeg

• Like 2