Lisbeth

Featherless

Blanche has been losing feathers from her underside for a few weeks. The skin looks too pink. I haven’t seen her being bothered by the area. She lives with 3 others that don’t seem to be affected. I lost an older chicken a few months back that had the same problem. I use chopped hemp bedding from Flytes of Fancy to help reduce infections and pests. Any idea please.738FB4AA-35D3-437B-8937-2657929068B9.thumb.jpeg.80a0800e35f7e41fe5fd125abbba3f29.jpegCFD120D5-99F2-4183-A1D0-312150D424E9.thumb.jpeg.4429146313e5b0aab24efd9823780801.jpeg

I would be looking at the following:

• She could be plucking to cool down
  • She could be plucking if she is broody (you have ruled this one out)
  • She could have lice/mites; have you checked her and do you have a preventative programme in place?

Lastly, her skin will be red if it is exposed; they have very fine skin and it needs protecting. slap some Sudocrem on it.

Hybrids often get red skin like this, if you’ve checked she’s not broody and no external parasites I wouldn’t worry too much.

Lots of chickens are going through the moult early this year and they tend to settle when they stop laying during the moult. CT is right, if you’re worried give your vet a ring :)