soapdragon

Eye Mask for Sleeping

I'm sure there was a thread some time ago regarding recommendations but, having been back 14 pages, I cannot find it! (Yeh, OK, it was probably on page 15 :doh:) The window cover on the arched window in our bedroom (and, no, I don't live in Playschool!) has broken and next door's movement sensor light keeps illuminating the bedroom as silly o'clock. I need something that stays in place and keeps me in the dark! Any ideas, peeps?

Even though DD had blackout curtains (and they were great, usually) they didn't keep out the floodlights across the road.  In fact the light was so bright that it glowed through the gaps and illuminated her room as if it was daylight!  It was blinding - because washing up at the sink and BOOM on went that light and I couldn't see for ages!  I think when I started shining our big spotlight across to their windows and jiggled it about they must have changed it, because it didn't happen again.  Their lights should have been pointing down - not up the hill!  I never needed a torch to do the birds because the brightness reflected off our windows and wall of our house!  Whinge over - I hope you can get some relief because I can't use eyepatches - they tend to wind up behind my head or around my neck!  :lol:

My Canadian cuz has a huge mask - it looks like a balaclava as it covers her nose as well!  I think she has ninja envy!

Yes, I do have a blackout blind at the main window but the arched one (which the architect clearly though was quirky when designing the extention) is very hard to cover....Hilary's have just quoted £489 for a custom made shutter as this is the only really practical way of covering the shape! Needless to say we won't be going down that route! YS has a blackout blind too and that works well but ES would rather not....don't know how he manages to spend so long comatose without one but, hey, teenagers 😆!!!!!!

The arched window overlooks (or would, if it were not about 7 f off the floor level) the front of our next door neighbour's house and they have a motion sensor light which is obviously activated by anything larger than a thunderfly. Hence a spotlight shining into the bedroom at all hours. I would ask them to put a dimmer bulb in but there have been a spate of burglaries in the village recently and I know that they are quite nervous!

I've ordered a mask from Amazon, having looked through reviews and so will give it a go this evening...........not doubt I'll still be hunting around under the bed for it at mid day tomorrow :doh:

I have a tempur blackout eye mask and it is absolutely brilliant. It is bulky and I assumed it would be uncomfortable but it isn’t. It goes everywhere with me. I also got quite cheap blackout curtains for my daughters room on amazon. They only had big size and instead of putting them on a rail I tuck them on top of her existing curtains and rail and as they are too long they stop any light seeping through. I will see if I can see the name.

The angle of the light on the wall needs a shield to stop it from shining up and direct it only to their garden or driveway.  I don't think they are supposed to turn their neighbours houses into Blackpool illuminations.   Perhaps it's been installed upside down?

Hope the mask works - did laugh at the hunting under the bed bit.  Mine just strangled me mostly.  But were great on a plane - and even though I had do not disturb stickers on the patches - the stewardess still patted me on the shoulder and said would I like breakfast? No not really - I'd rather sleep hence do not disturb!  But I didn't say that, I said oh thank you.  Yes coffee please!  I think the Danish pastry made up for it though.  

I may well end up asking them about that but I did have a sneaky peak when I went round to get the paper this morning and I suspect not.....anyroadup will try the eye mask this evening and, if it actually works and doesn't strangle me during the night, will be in a more cheerful frame of mind come the morning!

Ahhh, I think that it may be the Tempur one that was mentioned on the very old thread! I bought a silk one from Amazon and have tried it for three nights; it does make a difference but has taken some getting used to. I find it needs quite a bit of adjustment to get it quite right; I know it's on properly when I can't find the light switch! Certainly I've not been waking up at 5/6am when it's getting light so that's all to the good.

I may yet invest in the Tempur one.....at the mo I can't bring myself to look it up on Amazon as I know how expensive their products are :doh:! If only they made eye masks that stop the wearer's OH snoring then I'd be in 7th Heaven!

• Haha 1

Update....the eye mask is definately working! Am sleeping later in the mornings and no longer waking at around 5.00am but when the alarm goes at 6.50am (unless OH decided to get up early and crash about 'quietly') and much later at weekends :dance:. In fact, I may even invest in another eye mask that is a bit more secure - the one that I have is good but can slip a bit and was only £4.99 so, now I know it's working, I'm happy to invest a bit more....maybe I'll be brave enough to look up the prices of the Tempur ones! 

I shocked myself when I looked up the price ! I am sure it wasn’t that expensive 4 years ago. I take mine everywhere and because it was expensive it’s the first thing I make sure I pack away when coming home. I have to say it really stays in place and there is no seepage of light at all. Also is your bedroom window small. I also got fitted roller blind. It is in a metal frame and the blackout blind slides up and down within it so no  light escapes into the room. I got it from a local blind company, not sure if it has the manufacture on it but will look.