Peter

Salmonella can pass on by milk, cheese, EGGS etc

I have seen a program on TV and I have realized that Salmonella can pass on by milk, cheese, EGGS etc. and pass onto humans. It is not common but it does happen. I have stopped selling or giving away my eggs as I do not have insurance to cover me If this happens. Even the people that keep on top of their chicken hygiene can fall victim to it. If someone dos catch Salmonella from your eggs the government will trace it back to you. and a (No claim no fee) company can claim hundreds of thousands from you or even manslaughter. I now only give my eggs to my family which is still taking a chance.

peter

There are bugs, but this bug can kill, the yolk of an egg is only cooked when the egg is totally boiled. Soft boiled, fried and poached are not totally cooked. I always keep my chicken housekeeping to a very high standard but I cannot be shure l will not get affected. I am not saying I know all about the bug but I am not prepared to take the chance of passing my eggs on to others without having insurance. Peter

More chance of food poisoning eating fast food I would say.   If everyone looked at it like this then no-one would have hens.

But each to their own, when I had hens people were glad to get my eggs.   I never sold them- just gave them away.    I buy from free range roadside boxes nowadays.   From people whom I know take their husbandry seriously and worm regularly.

If you have a compromised immune system then that is a different story altogether.

Sorry but you don’t have to have a compromised immune system to be able to die from salmonella poisoning. A colleague and his whole family ended up in hospital after making a pasta and finishing it of with a raw egg yolk, like the Italians do. His two daughters nearly died. This is the same reason why you have to be careful handling and cooking chicken meat.

I do understand that anyone can contract Salmonella  poisoning but those with compromised immune systems are more at risk.  Raw egg yolks I dont do these days.   

Yes handling chicken is also really risky and nowadays they advocate you dont wash the chicken before cooking which is not what used to happen when I first got married many moons ago.

Edwina really damaged the egg industry though as DM says above.

I have to say that this whole subject irks me; I think it's all about using a modicum of common sense. I was brought up eating home laid eggs - and I liked them soft-cooked - and drinking raw milk.... I have a very strong immune system and am rarely sick. I think we all need to just apply our own risk assessment to any situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes I agree, I was brought up on a small island off the coast of Scotland and I was given unpasteurised milk & runny eggs and all was well.

I would think most of us started keeping chickens for pets and eggs for the table is one thing but when you sell one egg you are in business.

It is an easy trap to fall into even though you have good intentions of helping others. I would love to say stop being doom and gloom but it is fact.

And at the end of the day it could be your house and savings gone. Peter

I guess it has to be Marans then.  I like my eggs runny (not the whites!) but never had an issue - luckily!  A relative was accusing a B&B place for giving her food poisoning from the eggs at breakfast.  I don't think one day of being unwell constitutes food poisoning!  More likely she over ate (knowing her).

We had all our chickens tested for Salmonella (there are several strains) and they all came up negative. The chickens were leg ringed and coded and so were the blood samples so that any that did test positive could be identified. As far as I am aware they could only then be infected by new chickens carrying it. Here you can't sell eggs without business registration, so this isn't an issue and believe me if you did sell eggs and anyone found out you would be in big trouble. Apparently the English here are most likely to report you; they get tax credits for doing so. We know someone who was reported by 5 different English couples for building dog kennels. Fortunately the business had been registered, but what was amazing is the authorities supplied their names and addresses!

• Haha 1