Hi

Ive read that youre supposed to face the coop south, does everyone do this?

To face my coop south, I have to place it sideways in my garden which is long and skinny and only 3.5 metres wide at the far end where I was going to place the coop and run as there's some patio to put it on already. This means I couldnt ever have more than a 2m run and therefore two chickens. Which in turn means Im not sure that getting ex battery hens is wise, in case one of them dies early on.

What do you all do?

Thanks again CT. I wasn't sure how compulsory it was for the door to face south.   As I'm planning on putting the eglu at the end of my garden, it will face south but also get the sun in the afternoons and it wI'll be perpendicular to my house so I can see all the run. I'm hoping my apple tree with provide some shade and I plan to get a cube combi cover. If  I want a longer run and more chickens, the whole set up will have to run diagon ally across the garden which isn't ideal.

Never thought of it either. Mine faces south west by chance but is just where it is because that’s where it fits best in my garden. I would say think about how the light / sun is in summer and winter. At this time of year my run hardly gets any direct sun at all - I think if I was choosing the position again I’d put it somewhere where that’s not the case.

It all depends on the location. In England the coops were sheltered from wind and under trees and the weather was quite mild. Here in SW France South facing is essential, together with protection from West winds, shade in Summer and very large coop ventilation for Summer which can be shut off in Winter, subject to wind direction. Here you need custom built coops.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I saw a couple of american chicken keepers on youtube saying that the copp must face south, thats why I asked on here as Imhave seen no such discussion on uk websites

With the 2 metre run I can face my go up south behind an apple tree which will protect the chucks from much of,the the sun and wind. But it won't quite fit if I get a three metre run if I want to open the back for eggs or,front to feed them, or clean the thing out. 

I'm also going to get the covers for under the coop and a cube combination cover for the run.