Leicester_H

Can hens get Coronavirus?

I've read that "

Cats And Dogs Can’t Get Coronavirus, According To World Health Organisation

http://igvofficial.com/cats-and-dogs-cant-get-coronavirus-according-to-world-health-organisation/?fbclid=IwAR3QC0hHzziwazPih5ifzGSPifh4HT0buS8UxO-2Btd6Onra9Gf1o0Zk4Wc

but can hens ?

One for Lewis, I expect ?

H

PS. Sorry for formatting - couldn't see how to alter

Some viruses can cross species, notably some strains of influenza (H5N1) but while Covid 19 has been seen in some mammals, I don't think it has crossed into avians yet. Having said that, it is a very virulent virus, which is fast to mutate. I will ask Rosie next time we speak - she's studying epidemiology at the moment and her Prof is one of the guys always quoted in the news. She is so excited about studying a live pandemic 🙄

Stay fit and healthy folks, and get plenty of fresh air. Vit C and Zinc are brilliant for stopping viruses from getting a hold.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

I will ask Rosie next time we speak - she's studying epidemiology at the moment and her Prof is one of the guys always quoted in the news. She is so excited about studying a live pandemic 🙄

So not all bad then😂. A once in a life time opportunity for her! We expect a first come degree results.

Nope, don’t panic.

Covid19 hasn’t been isolated in mammals either, as far as I know only one dog has tested positive and that was from contact, there was no evidence of infection on bloods.

Coronaviruses as a group are common and one we vaccinate pets against, but again the Covid19 getting media attention is specific and not seen.

According to the OIE, the current spread of Covid-19 is a result of human to human transmission, and, to date, there is no evidence that companion animals can spread the disease. Therefore, there is no justification in taking measures against companion animals which may compromise their welfare. Current evidence suggests Covid-19 has an animal source but this remains under investigation.”

• Like 1