Lewis

Dream Breeds Wishlist?

I collected some eggs from a friend this weekend to start an incubation project with a family, due to hatch Feb half term.

They have a great mix of eggs and are hoping to keep the girls that hatch - which I’m v jealous of! :lol:

CE70AD0C-55D2-4145-A4B7-A9F9825B8AD2.thumb.jpeg.be7b037677ebc3f6f04ab970aafd3d63.jpeg

Which out of those would you like to keep and what’s on your wishlist?

I’d keep the Barred Wyandotte and I’d love  Ayam Cemani and Sulmtaler.

Mixing breeds in the incubator may give you some problems with the air sac development Lewis. Shell porosity, so the rate water evaporates from the white, may well be different for all of them. Having said that, the only ones that ever caused a massive problem for us was Wyandottes, which had to be taken out from a Orpington batch and run totally dry in another incubator, because the air sac wasn't developing at all.

Haven't got a wish list at the moment, but we were thinking of some colourful Brahmas. Ayam Cemani are quite 'spooky' looking and round here may be difficult to spot. 

What an excellent game!

I'd keep the brahmas and the orp.

In my dream dozen I'd have 3 blue partridge brahma (large fowl) which hatched into 1 male/2 females, 4 LF black orps to give me a male and 3 hens, and 5 bantam polands, all hens, chamois, gold laced, silver laced, white crested black and I see a brand new colour which I've never heard of, so presumably a new fangled breeding colour, which is white crested red.

4 hours ago, ellasflock said:

I would love an Ayam Cemani! They are so cool. But I would also love an Orpington, and a porcelain booted bantam. I would also love to have a ginger Silkie. I think they are so cute! Hopefully I will one day get a hen that lays blue eggs, maybe a bluebell. 

Bluebells don’t lay blue eggs. Araucana and Araucana crosses do.

I really fancy Sebrights and might go for one in February. Also Barnevelders are high on the fancy list. Would love a blue/green egger too. There are a number of other typical Dutch breeds I like, but mostly large fowl and much rarer and hard to get. Have a look at the Brabanter! 😉

I’ve always had a soft spot for Orpington’s and Frizzle Pekin Bantams. I’ve had many different breeds since 2005 when I got our first chooks, but looking at your list Lewis, still plenty out there to choose from in the years to come!

I’ve recently update my online chicken keeping photo library, feel free to browse https://www.atsw.co.uk to see the various hens (and some cockerels) that I’ve breed or acquired over the last 15 years.  For those after blue egg layers, you’ll find pictures of my Crested Legbars (2014) and the recent edition of White Araucanas (2021). 

Andrew

• Like 1

I would keep the porcelain booted bantam. My dream breeds and colours that I don’t have are gold double laced barnevelder bantam, golden campine or deathlayer (!! - they look very similar to campines and Hamburg’s), gold laced sebright, chamois Poland, bantam jubilee Orpington, and I’d love a bantam that laid dark brown eggs, but I don’t know if there is one.

I do think Apenzeller Spitzhauben are particularly spectacular but more than a little ridiculous in silver spangled too.

Ooh, some good suggestions so far!

Thinking about what mullethunter said, I've always wanted a Chamois Frizzle Poland but it's never been practical as we have big girls and they free range a lot. Now I've moved out I am very tempted again :mrgreen: 

• Like 1

CT - I feel quite jealous, there is a great selection there, and many breeds we don't see very often at all so thanks for sharing. 

Those are mighty fine LF brahmas, just look at those trousers!  The modern is a lovely looking bird as well.

The Dutch crested fowl look just like polands, I must go and do a bit of research, I have never heard of them, the colourway is different for a start.

I feel a bit sorry for a breed which translates as 'crowhead' but I love that they are described as affectionate.  However, I can see they have a bit of a mad staring eye, and altogether they look a bit as though they are made up of other breeds!  I am a sucker for black birds so if I saw them in the flesh I would probably have to have one!

• Thanks 1