Guest Poet

buzz off!

what do you think of that device that emits ultrasonic sound to prevent gangs of teenagers congregating in certain places?

http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&q=buzz+off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=news_result&resnum=4&ct=title

I had to check myself and wonder if it was April the 1st when I heard about it! :shock:

It's the most bizarre notion and will only move them on to somewhere else to cause a nuisance. Something else to replace what the police should be doing, IMO.

I have to say, when I was a teenager, we used to go to each others houses or stayed at home. Hanging around on the street or outside shops in gangs, perhaps apart from my own street, never appealed to me.

We always found something to do.

These teenagers should take a leaf out of Martin or Jem's book, they are a shining example of young people today and I know Martin is never short of something constructive to do, you only have to read his blog to know that! (hope I haven't embarrassed you guys! ;) )

IMO- there should be a suitable curfew time

imposed for kids 'hanging around 'and up to no good

then police take them in if necessary,contact parents,issue first warning.

If it happens again(even in most lenient cases on third time), then a fine should be imposed upon release of offending kid.

Trouble is parents probably wouldn't bother collecting them to avoid fine,so deduct from benefits every week a set amount until they do,or put a separate bill from police authority(via council tax bill enhancement) to the correct household(s).

Why should we pay extra for this?

IMO- there should be a suitable curfew time

imposed for kids 'hanging around 'and up to no good

then police take them in if necessary,contact parents,issue first warning.

If it happens again(even in most lenient cases on third time), then a fine should be imposed upon release of offending kid.

Trouble is parents probably wouldn't bother collecting them to avoid fine,so deduct from benefits every week a set amount until they do,or put a separate bill from police authority(via council tax bill enhancement) to the correct household(s).

Why should we pay extra for this?

My Dad is a policeman.

Policeman are supposed to take home anyone under the age of 16 if they are out after 9pm. :wink:

We've had two of these mosquito devices in our area for about 6 months. One is outside KFC :evil::evil: where the kids are a real menace, the other is outside a branch of Morrisons where I never go so I have no idea how bad the kids are there.

It really annoys me when their excuse is 'there's nothing to do' :evil: Much more for youngsters to do today than when I were a lass :roll: Like Poet we used to go round to each other's houses, listen to music etc., my mother would have had a fit if she thought I was hanging around the streets making trouble. BUT, the trouble makers are in the minority, most teenagers are great and a credit to their parents, like the younger people on this forum :)

Tessa

Nor me, from a safety point of view. Rosie is always well occupied with her hobbies and projects. Pehaps they'd rather have them 'out of the way' than in the house 'bothering' them *shrugs*

If my 16 year old has his mates round the house, their mothers always thank me for putting up with them! They aren't allowed round their houses! :shock: I'd far rather they were all here, whatever mess they make (surprisingly little I have to say) than lounging on street corners :roll:

We had one of these gadgets put up opposite our house in an attempt to stop the gangs of mature youths playing football. I knew it was happening but didn't tell my children. None of them complained about the noise; I don't think they could hear it. :?

If my 16 year old has his mates round the house, their mothers always thank me for putting up with them! They aren't allowed round their houses! :shock: I'd far rather they were all here, whatever mess they make (surprisingly little I have to say) than lounging on street corners :roll:

I much preferred my sons having their mates round than not knowing where they were. A couple of times I had boys staying with me when their frantic parents threw them out :shock: I never had any problems with them, their music drove me mad though :evil:

Tessa

I tend to agree with the comments about parents sending their children out and not wanting them around :(

I prefer it to be open house here so I know where they are, and am lucky in the respect that most of my children's friends have like minded parents :D

We're lucky enough to have a play room soon to be turned into a den for the children to bring their friends to, just hope they don';t want icecream and popcorn bringing round during the film :lol:

Karen x

Its supposed to be under 25s who can hear it. Well at 24 I was married with a mortgage and two kids. I was NOT hanging around streets getting into trouble. Why should I have had to suffer what is apparently (to those that can here it when its set properly) a ghastly noise just because some other people decide to act like idiots. Why don't we just lack up all adults as the majority of murders are comitted my adults.

Foxwatch for hoodies! :roll:

Well I think it is quite disgraceful to target people who happen to have good hearing.

OK some young morons like to gather in gangs and cause mayhem, but they are still very much in the minority. Bad boys get more attention from the News, thats the way the News is and not a true reflection on life in general.

As the Manic Street Preachers would say 'If they tolerate this, then your children will be deaf'

I am mid thirties and can still hear bats and that is around the range the 'Buzz Off' thing operates. (it could be tinitus mind!)

This device annoys all who are able to hear it including babies and small children who have done nothing wrong other than having young ears.

Wouldn't it be better to bother people who are guilty of something and beat them accordingly?

The 'Buzz Off' device is so wrong on so many levels, the Cane wasn't as it was only delivered to those who needed it, (apart from that little lad out of KES who was trying to deliver a message from his teacher)

Kev.

Foxwatch for hoodies! :roll:

I agree!

It is hardly fair to punish those who just happen to be wheeled past in their pushchair.

Get the blighters involved in sport, sport and even more sport. That would get them off street corners.

And rigourously punish shopkeepers who sell cheap booze to teenagers.

Once I got to 14 I had Saturday jobs and also worked in the hols too.

I was too knackered to be hanging around on street corners.

Anyroad up.....in those days we had 2-3 hours homework a night!! Plus loads of weekend homework too. :shock:

My children seemed to get about 20 minutes homework, which they dashed off on the bus on the way home and still managed to get A's so I think that says quite a lot about how things have changed.

Also the changing attitudes about allowing children to play out and amuse themselves are partly to blame.

Children are ferried every where and amusement is laid on for them at every turn as we imagine that there is a predator at every turn.

They no longer have the ability to make their own entertainment and spend too much time in front of the telly/playstation etc, getting a totally unrealistic and warped sense of the world and where they fit in.

Suddenly their hormones start surging and they want to be with their friends and start trying to assert themselves.

Because they haven't acquired many of the survival skills that we did, they can be sucked in to a type of behaviour that can lead them into trouble.

And no one wants to be a youth leader etc anymore for fear of being accused of being a paedophile or dread of the Elfnsafety mafia.

Makes one despair dunnit.

:?