BarbaraJ

New member :)

I have been looking to get some chickens for over a year but the chicken out week urged hubby along to build me a coop and run. We are nearly finished and hoping to be the owners of 3 chickens in a couple of weeks :D:D so excited!

I didn't realise i could join here without an eglu but hubby wasn't paying out for one so it was chickens wthout an eglu or no chickens, hmm not much choice really lol

Though i have been eyeing up the cube for the future :D

I think we are nearly ready jjust ordered some bits off the omlet shop and all i need now is chickens, bedding and food i think lol

Wondered if you would like to see a pic of our nearly completed coop and run:

DSC00237.jpg

I was just wondering that - or is it so you can sit in the shed on cold days, and watch them!

Welcome to the forum, what a brilliant run - I wish I could make things. Your chickens will love living in there, it's a palace. We welcome anyone who is into chickens, Eglus cubes or wooden coops, we don't mind.

What sort of chickens are you going to get?

thanks for the nice welcome. No the window needs blocking off thats why we have a few weeks to go.

Block window

Pave all round the run

Tweaking a few bits in the coop

and make a ladder.

Got some good branches today to make it a bit more exciting for them.

I wa getting my chickens from Thornes but he didnt seem to have much choice , someone gave Cambridge poultry to try so think we will go have a look saturday.

Speckeldy's look nice and Belgian blues

Stevenage, lol i did broach the subject that if we ever get more we could get a cube, he thought i was moaning about his coop and 'MORE Chickens' think i will have to do this softly softly let him get used to the first 3 lol

He'll end up loving them like mine did. :wink:

What a nice welcome, people think i'm mad getting chickens lol but then i'm a childminder too and people think i'm mad doing that!!

Only thing i am concerned with the wooden coop is the red mite, i have diatamaceous earth and intend using that from the start, under Aubiose

Edited by Guest

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Nice looking run and coop, your husband should be proud! Good luck getting your hens, we've got a speckledy and she's lovely - dark brown speckled eggs and she has big fluffy grey knickers! :lol: By the way, within two days of getting our first 5 hens my OH took us out to the local poultry place to get two more - they're very addictive.

Mrs Bertie

Edited by Guest

Would it be ok to have gravel in the front part of the run and Aubiose in the back where its covered?

Sure - but beware that chickens love to scratch around in gravel, so it will end up all over the run! :lol:

You should see our patio after a good dustbathing session! :shock::roll:

Sure - but beware that chickens love to scratch around in gravel, so it will end up all over the run! :lol:

You should see our patio after a good dustbathing session! :shock::roll:

lol so is there anything else i could use? i suppose what ever i use will get mixed with the Aubiose?

Great run ! Did your husband use any plans or design it himself ? we have an eglu with attached run but have realised we need to build them a bigger run that I'll put the eglu into.

BTW does anyone know if there is a market in second hand runs ?

Although I did wonder whether to sell the eglu plus run and buy a cube without run when we've finished the new run.

Left to myself I'd keep the eglu plus run to intorduce new chickens and buy a new cube and expand the flock but OH might just calculate the actual cost of 1/2 doz fresh laid eggs if I do that... :shock:

Plans well i think they were in his head, its actually probably the first thing he has ever finished making. Most things are half done or get a 'that al do!'

I'd keep the eglu and buy a cube too!

Huby did sit there last night and say 'when actually will the eggs cover the cost of the run?' he was joking as i don't think so lol though we have people want to buy them already lol

Getting very excited , even talked hubby round to the notion that if we like keeping them an eglu cube would look great attached to the side of the run :D he says i'm moaning about his coop already lol but its not that, he hasn't made it very big and i'm worried they will have enough room in there. Especially if i want more :D:D

So i'm hoping week saturday for chickens but he says may be easter!! oh i'm so impatient.