rachel m

picking up chickens

we are pretty new to this game, and despite knowing how to hold the chickens as demonstated by the omlet man, we are struggling.

firstly they always see us coming and shoot off in the other direction

when we have actiually mannage to grab them they still manage to flap free and kick about, and my husband sustained a serious injury requiring a plaster on his little finger!! :(:oops:

whilst they seem to come over to see us when out of the run, they are very wary and jumpy

any advice gratefully received

When they come into lay they become much less flighty and squat for you to to pick them up. For the time being try to tempt them with some treats to distract and then pick them up, holding their wings securely.

I don't handle mine as much as a lot of folk do, but they are quite obliging most of the time. I'm sure someone else will be along with some more advice in a mo...

Taming them with treats works to gain their confidence but as chicken licken says, once they start laying they will be much more amenable.

It does take quite a firm grip to hang onto them if they get flappy though. If they feel you are holding them securely they shouldn't flap about too much.

Don't worry, in a couple of weeks you will be seasoned pro's. :wink:

Hi ya,

Yeah they will squat for you once they come into lay.

You have to be quick but not that quick that you scare them. Place a hand on each of their wings so they cannot flap then bring them close to you so that one wing is close to you and the other is still held with your hand holding it in and then you place their legs in between your fingers (one leg in each slot of your fingers ) and if they struggle you give a gentle squeeze of the legs and they should sit still. This was the way the breeder showed us and they got so used to that they we don't bother generally holding the legs just the wings but holding them close, just like holding a little cat! One of ours is so shy that we bearly manage to stroke her and she runs off! but is getting more confident every day, and the others are pretty good but they let you know when they had enough and want to get down.

But there's nothing like a little cuddle!!

We were really scared of picking them up to begin with but it will be ok, they will get used to it, just plenty of treats and they begin to trust you. :D

It'll take time for them to get to know you and trust you so persevere with treats.

If you simply have to pick them up :?: , the easiest, safest and correct way to pick them up is by their legs (please don't all shout at me! :( ) then tuck them under your arm, that way their legs (and sharp pointy bits) are out of range, their wings are enclosed by your arm and they are secure. It sounds barbaric but believe me it isn't!

Or you can lunge at them - as a predator would - with arms outstretched and hopefully grab them risking broken wings and untold stress to them.

If you do try the leg way please ensure that you hold their legs above the 'hock' joint and that you have at least one finger between each leg. It becomes easier with practice and no one (least of all the chickens!) get hurt.

I've been practising at the rescue centre - so far a jackdaw and a collared dove! Flappy things! I will imagine that the chickens will be much the same although larger in scale. Ours will be 12 weeks old when we get them - are they much bigger than the jackdaws at that age?

You do have to hold their wings kinda firm cos they have a bit of power in them-even though they're a flightless bird.I go in from above,clasp their wings into body,hold firm and then lock my little fingers behind their back legs.The more you practice-the better both of you will get.

I used to do the "cuddle when they're sleepy" trick. It's much easier than chasing them round the garden :roll: . We used to bring one hen into the house each night for a few minutes to get them used to us.

It gets so much easier when they start laying. Mine are quite happy to be held now (as long as I get hold of them straight after they're let out, they're more likely to squat then.)

I agree with Snowy, picking them up through the egg port will be easier for you, and they will be more docile. My Bella is very skittish and will come for treats but hops away when I put my hand towards her. Now that she is crouching, if I get the angle just right, i.e. putting my hand straight onto her back, she will crouch and is much easier to pick up. I'm persevering with picking her up each day, one way or another, until she gets used to it.

Dolce has always been easier.

I spent the first week getting them used to being touched without being picked up. I took a treat bowl into the run, and let them eat. Then I'd gently and clamly try to stroke their backs.

At first, they stopped eating and moved away each time I troed to stroke them, but I persevered, without making every trat time a nightmare for them. Greed got the better of them eventually, and they would stay to eat whilst being stroked.

Once they were used to being stroked, I then moved on to picking them up. If I held a bird, she got exlusive access to the treat bowl while I was holding her. I only held her for a couple of seconds befire letting her go and then moving on to the next bowl.

Very quickly, two of the three used to line up to be picked up so they could have sweetcorn, or whatever was at the bottom of the bowl, under the mixed corn.

Now they twnd to squat and wait if I try to pick them up. Unless of course I need to catch them outside, when they don't want to be caught!

That sounds a really sweet way of taming them WitchHazel.

They really get under your feet once they are totally tame though, don't they?! :roll::wink:

I was thinking yesterday, after I'd tripped over my silvernick, that she used to be as nervous and jumpy as my skylines are now - they'll get there in the end.

We are still trying to tame two of ours but the rest can be handle quite easily.

I started by feeding them mealworms from my hand so that they associated me with treats, then stroked them while they eat from their treat bowl. We also pick each of them up in turn at night when they are roosting and give then a hug.

I think the two nervous gingernuts would be tamer now if my husband didn't see it as a personal challenge to pick them up against their will during the day. I've shouted at my toddler sometimes thinking that the chickens are going mad because he's annoying them only to realise that the problem is actually his dad :wall::roll:

The next day, all 5 girls are more jumpy but a few treats usually wins them round

Not all chickens crouch when they come into lay mind! My old bluebelle didn't ever crouch, and my Poland and my Appenzeller don't crouch - they just go really low to the ground and squirm away if you put your had on their back.

They are still very tame though and easy to catch but just will not crouch. Funny little beggars :D

I've had mine just over a week and i've been able to pick one up from the word go, the other I have persisted and today decided that I would not give her the choice. I picked the other one up first and then I went for her. I picked her up firmly holding both wings and then slipped my fingers between her feet - she tried to wriggle - but you have to show who's boss. Later on when I picked the first one up - the other one was there pacing up and down impatiently for her turn!!

So persevere and it will be fine! - I was worried about this too, but it gets easier! I even clipped their wings!

Louise