Guest Poet

compliment slip, what do you think?

That's a really great idea Poet.

A before and after pic would be great, so people can be reassured how healthy your girls are now.

I think you might want to take out the kitchen s"Ooops, word censored!"s bit though,as it's now technically illegal to feed kitchen s"Ooops, word censored!"s to chickens.

Edited by Guest

That's a lovely idea, will make people really appreciate the eggs. Until now I didn't realise how much went into making and laying an egg!! I appreciate every single egg now!!!

I agree. After getting my girls I went on a work event where one of the exercises was to construct a device to protect an egg being dropped from 1M. I was really shocked at the waste of eggs (which previously I wouldn't have thought twice about) but think about the effort that goes into each and every one.

The slip is briiliant Poet and an 'after' picture would really hammer the point home.

Hi Poet,

The link didn't work for me :oops: not all that good on such techie stuff. Would appreciate a brief explanation prior to link when possible for those like me who aren't that e-savvy.

Sounds like you had a good idea so wd like to know what it was! Haven't been able to glean a clue from the previous postings! :?

A great idea Poet, anything that helps to get the message across gets a big thumbs up from me.

I was wondering after seeing your note though, I always thought battery hens were kept in artificially light conditions, how do they lay if they are kept in the dark?

I think it's a wonderful compliment slip!

you've cleverly managed to get your point across without preaching,

the tone is upbeat and encouraging (more carrot than stick) and yet will really get your customers thinking and keep them loyal to you :D

a masterpiece in education and marketing :shock:

fantastic, well done you! :lol:[/b]

A great idea Poet, anything that helps to get the message across gets a big thumbs up from me.

I was wondering after seeing your note though, I always thought battery hens were kept in artificially light conditions, how do they lay if they are kept in the dark?

They are given periods of light and dark to mimic night and day, this happens 2 or 3 times in a 24hr cycle to encourage the hens to lay more than once in 24hrs. I think that is right, if not please someone correct me.

Love the compliment slip idea. Very good. :idea:

Thanks for all the feedback.

Obviously I do not wish to include false information. Every web site I have ever read states the hens are kept in semi darkness to reduce aggression. For example, PETA's web site says..

To prevent stress-induced behaviours caused by overcrowding, such as pecking cagemates to death, hens are kept in semi-darkness,

http://www.peta.org.uk/factsheet/files/FactsheetDisplay.asp?ID=121

I am currently double checking with my BHWT contact and will alter the info if it proves to be incorrect.

Thank you to all who posted positive and constructive comments :D

Great idea Poet - I put a label on my boxes saying

Freshly laid eggs

from Henrietta, Hermione,

Harriet and Hetty

and the ex-batts

Milly, Molly, Mandy

and Maisie now residing

at ****** Farm.

As I mostly give them to my family they know the before and after story but the picture is one step further forward - and a link to the BHWT would also be a good idea, so those who are interested could log on and see the work they do and the reasons why it is so important not to buy cheap eggs.

Edit, I've edited out the name of your farm Roxanne, just to keep you safe online. Claret

The sheds I have been in have had soft lighting if that helps Poet.

"soft lighting" makes it sound almost comfortable.

I used to work for a telecoms company, working in the data faults department. 'Management' in their infinite wisdom decided that we weren't allowed to say the word 'fault' when speaking to customers as it was a negative word. They decided we had to say 'incident' instead.

Soft lighting/semi darkness, Incident/fault....

IMO, a fault is a fault, whatever you choose to call it.

I'll change my wording to semi-darkness I think. I appreciate the clarification, thank you.

and a link to the BHWT would also be a good idea, so those who are interested could log on and see the work they do and the reasons why it is so important not to buy cheap eggs.

good idea, will see if i can squeeze it in.

I did actually pinch a few ideas from people on here. Snowy's idea of calling them 'Happy garden hens' and I can't remember who it was who thanked people for not buying battery eggs, but I borrowed that too ;)

Great compliment slip Poet - Peta always try the shock treatment, even if it isn't true (we've had lots of bits from them that my daughter has been sending off - mostly stickers and some horrible pamphlets). Abbey road girl - I had problems downloading the link, but it worked this afternoon, so it might be that lots of people are on the web at the same time - have another try later. :)