beckib

Please help urgently - fox attack this morning!!!!

Please help, poor Hendrix has been got by mrs fox!

my daughter shouted me to te3ll me and when i went to the conserveratory the fox was trotting accross the lawn with her in her mouth!

We screamed like banshees and luckily the fox let her go and ran away she just sat there. i went over and she half ran but i eventually caught her as she was a little shocked!

I was initially too frightened to check her over, but i have now seen that she has a couple of nasty puncture wounds, the ones on top are pretty clean and haven't bled but the one i can see underneath has bed a little but not too much. she may have more as i haven't thoroughly checked yet.

She has had a little sweetcorn within seconds of me saving her, but has now refused any more.

I have put her in a large lawnmower box with roosting bars, a dish of water and a dish of pellets witha little sweetconrn and grapes to spoil her.

She is a little quiet, but being in the house wont help, i have recently been sysinging Baytrill every day so I am not her best friend right now. On top of that i have just de loused them and she is broody too.

On the plus side she is still showing her broodyness and puffing up when we try to touch her and complaining everytime we go near her, so she is almost like her normal miserable broody self.

I am going to call the vet for advice and hope he may give me something topical for the wounds.

Apart from that, any suggestions as to how i look after her while she is recovering?

I have been distraught, i cant beleive this happened :cry:

Poor Hendrix! And poor you.

Keep her warm and comfortable. A warm water bottle wrapped in a towel with help.

Keeping her calm is very important now, as stress can be fatal. As she has been on antibiotics, could you call the vet and get some more? As she has puncture wounds from the fox, she will need a dose as foxes mouths are a haven for bacteria.

Do you have any rescue remedy to add to her water? It does calm them down.

Hope she is ok.

C x

the vet wanted me to take her in, but i told them i didn't really want to unless i had to as last time she went she got very very stressed, worried it might do more harm than good.

as she is on Baytril anyway the vet said that should do her good and help fight any infection.

I am really fed up :cry: , even if she pulls through this it will change the whole chicken thing for me. i am really really frightened that it will happen again.

I daren't let them out :(

thanks for the support and advice - i really apreciate it.

what s the rescue remedy??

she seems quite well actually, still complaining and fluffing herself up like a football when i go near her and 'growling' at me under breath. so although i'm sure she must be stressed, she is hiding it very well.

in fact i'm in a worse state then she is...can't stop blubbering :oops:

Rescue remedy is a herbal flower remedy available from Holland and Barratt and other health food shops. It is used to calm people down and can also be used on animals.

we discovered it years ago when our Springer spaniel (a gun dog) was scared of fireworks :roll: It calmed her down enough to sleep through the night.

http://www.rescueremedy.com/

I have now put her back in the eglu.

She was trying to escape the box in the conservatory, and seeing as though she is pretty perky i think she may be better off in there.

She will sit quietly anyway as she is broody right now. I'm afraid i will have to go to work now too. so i will check her when i get back after five.

:pray:

Hope she's OK when you get back, miserable and grumpy and bad tempered! Get some Bach Rescue Remedy in - sounds like you could have used a dose yourself, it's lovely, flower extracts and a teensy bit of grape alcohol. Three or four drops on the tongue and I'm Mrs Chilled-out Bertie. And it's good for animals too! :lol:

Mrs Bertie

Straight to tescos on the way home!

You guys are all fantastic. I really really apreciate the support.

It seems she's a tough old bird and fingers crossed she will pull through.

Seriously considering getting a cube now so they have the extra room. Possibly even building a large run for them during the day so we they can be pretty free range whilst still being caged.

I have calmed down a little and even managed to laugh about me and my daughter (15) screaming like banshees at 6.45 in the morning. Then whilst i was running accross the lawn to save my little hen i fell flat on my back!

But the serious stuff still bothers me, the problem is my chooks are like members of my family and i feel so sorry for Hendrix being attacked she must be pretty sore she has a couple of puncture wounds that would make me cry!

Poor you! What a shock. Fingers crossewd she will be ok. She sounds like she is a tough old girl!

I think you are doing the right thing putting her back with her friends: it will calm her down. I had a chicken survive a fox atack, and she too coped better with it than I did!

Just keep an eye on her: Eating and drinking will be the clue that she is ok.

Bach's rescue remedy is available from Boots if you haven't got a health food shop near you!

Its great!

HI Just checked on Hendrix and shes quiet, still clucking at me when i disturb her on the nest. But i have examined her a little more and she has a nasty gash on her side :( maybe about an inch or so long and a bit messy. she hasn't bled a great deal though.

I really dont know whether to take her tp the vets. Will they be able to do anything? Surely they wont try to repair her??

Hi becki,

I just caught up with this thread, poor little hendrix, what a tough time she has had recently.

Hope she makes a full recovery, she must be in shock bless her.

Let us know how she gets on

Big hugs and positive thoughts

Faye x

Chelsea has just said what I would have posted. If there is blood visible, then keep her isolated from the other girls otherwise they will peck at it. Bathe it, but I wouldn't bother getting it looked at unless it doesn't stop bleeding - the visit to the vet will only cause her more stress.

Thanks everyone - there is no fresh blood, just like a bit of an open wound. certainly no bleeding, kind of just on the surface. It has dried out now and like a sticky scab(although not very sticky). is ther any human disinfectant i can use, i did consider just a saline solution??

I only have one other hen and she is so so docile, shes an orpington, i have been watching and she is quite happy plodding completely ignoring Hendrix. I think because Hendrix can be quite agressive toward her , even more so whilst she has been broody so Yoko just keeps out of her way and occasionally sits with her quietly.

It was obviously causing her aggravation being in a box in the house so i am pretty confident that she is in the right place back in the eglu.

I am taking all your advice on board, after all you guys have more experience and obviously know what you are talking about.

I will keep a very close eye on Hendrix and make another assessment in the morning.

Thanks again

Will keep you posted.

I'd use Gentian Violet if she were mine. The purple colour masks any blood, and it also has an antiseptic action.

Or you could dab it with a solution of water with a few drops of Tea Tree Oil in it.

Failing that, a bit of tepid salty water.

I personally wouldn't bother with the Dettol etc.

I hope she is feeling a bit better.

Well she's still with us today.

Still being her miserable broody self, i have dug her out of the nest and put her i the run with some tuna, sweetcorn and pasta. She's had a good breakfast and now gone back to the nest.

I am going to get some more Baytril from the vet and fingers crossed it will keep any infection at bay.

TBH i half expected her to have gone in the night and i avoided getting them up this morning. I normally get them out of bed at around 5.30 and today i left it till 7. Much to my relief when i opened the eggport she was sat there grumbling at me and trying to look frightening again :)

Yoko has taken it all in her stride and it hasn't phased her at all.

y i think i will check the cctv and see how long the fox was chasing them round the garden, ac

Sorry about the previous post i'm not sure how it got submitted but here is the rest of it :?

Can anyone please tell me more about Genetian Violet, where i would get it from and how to apply?

I feel so lucky that had i been just a couple of seconds later the fox would have made it to the bushes at the bottom of the garden and i would never have seen her again.

Fingers crossed, she's over the worst and now she just has to heal.

Thanks everyone

x