fionne

Last choir standing

I'm spitting blood after tonight's last choir standing. Revelation did not sing as a choir, rather a lead singer with a backing group. Surely the title should be last singing group standing. The panel should know better!!! As a musician I was not amused it seemed most unfair. The Bath choir sang as a choir. :(:(

I'm spitting blood after tonight's last choir standing. Revelation did not sing as a choir, rather a lead singer with a backing group. Surely the title should be last singing group standing. The panel should know better!!! As a musician I was not amused it seemed most unfair. The Bath choir sang as a choir. :(:(

I entirely agree with you Fionne. I didn't watch tonight at all. As a choir director myself, I felt I should watch - mostly in case people ask me what I think about it. I think I have totally disagreed with almost every decision these judges have made, and usually along the lines that you have stated above.

I feel really strongly about this: choir is a singular noun. A group of singers does not constitute a choir. A choir sings as one. This programme is rubbish - and could have been so good. :(:evil:

Maestro on the other hand (Tuesdays BBC2 9pm) is absolutely brilliant. I can't wait for the next episode. :D

I have to say I've no idea what any names were or anything about winners and losers because frankly I just don't care enough about these silly tv competitions.

BUT - it was on, James was enjoying the singing and so was I and I thought the choir in the black and yelow were particularly good. Made me think again about joining a choir or the operatic society.

Mind you I've also been thinking about pole dancing lessons.... only thing putting me off is that my mate has stuffed up her knee pole dancing.

I'm amazed at Russell Watson, but there we are. I won't rush to watch again!

I've never had much respect for him, but felt for him when he had his brain tumours and lost confidence. I respected him for finally getting himself some proper singing lessons, but now I can see that he still knows nothing at all! :evil:

:lol: Couldn't agree more! I sing in a choir, and I love choral singing, so I was keen to watch this programme - in fact one of my choir friends applied for free tickets to the shows, but we didn't get any.

However I've been infuriated by the approach taken - they want a choir that dances as well, it seems! :? And to me there is very little versatility in these choirs - the gospel choirs are great, but that's ALL they seem to be able to sing. Maybe I've been spoiled, but my choir does everything from madrigals to folk songs to musical theatre, and from Bach to Bacharach.

I love Ysgol Glanaethwy, who showed they can do a variety of songs, and I think Only Men Aloud are good but I don't understand why the others are classified as 'choir'. I don't know why I keep watching, because it makes me very :evil: !

:lol: Couldn't agree more!

However I've been infuriated by the approach taken - they want a choir that dances as well, it seems! :? And to me there is very little versatility in these choirs - the gospel choirs are great, but that's ALL they seem to be able to sing.

I love Ysgol Glanaethwy, who showed they can do a variety of songs, and I think Only Men Aloud are good but I don't understand why the others are classified as 'choir'. I don't know why I keep watching, because it makes me very :evil: !

I totally agree with this. And I thought it was priceless when the woman judge (the other one from the nutter with the funny thing on her head that likes the gospel stuff and doesn't seem to want to see anything else apart from 'pashun') said that Only Men Aloud shouldn't have done the cane jobby because it wasn't choral! What about the other rubbish from Revelation etc.?

I'm finding it hard not to watch it 'cos the Welsh one with Y's and s's and vowels - ysgoth chlanethly or whatever - is so terrific, as is men aloud, but I do get very very annoyed about it 'cos a lot of it is just pop band stuff.

Grrrrrr

Every now and then something sends shivers up my spine - Bohemian Rhapsody did, and the one last week - can't remember what it was but it was pretty good. But Bath disappointed me over the last few weeks - proper choirs do proper stuff - Land of my fathers and Jerusalem etc. and don't under any circumstances sing Desperado! it was bad enough when the Eagles did it, it certainly isn't appropriate for a real bona fide male voice choir.

Mind you, I shall keep on watching. But if Revalation don't get voted out soon I shall not watch any more - they have been warned.

Why does she wear an elongated fez? And what is underneath it?

I really liked the choir that got chucked off last week (before Bath) :( . but I do think Only Men Aloud are good: I especially liked their James Bond song.

For me a good programme is spoilt by endless verbal padding and the comperes trotting out horribly trite would-be catchphrases all the time!

I agree that Maestro was great last week: looking forward to tonight. Last weeks 'eviction' was an easy choice, but don't think it will be so straightforward this week!

For me a good programme is spoilt by endless verbal padding and the comperes trotting out horribly trite would-be catchphrases all the time!

I couldn't agree more - if we just had singing we could have three times as much. and theres all the cringe making bits of film of the choir members families and kids etc. But the comperes really get my goat - I'd have voted them out straight away.

WHY oh why do we have to have all the tear-jerking stories about their families and what a hard time they've had getting there ... it has got nothing to do with how well they sing! :evil:

They should enter a few 'proper' music festivals or choral competitions. The judges there are interested in how you perform on the day, not the fact that being in the choir has helped you get over the loss of your pet stick-insect. And they don't expect singers to behave like dance troupes (although I have to say, hypocritically, that I LOVED the act with the canes!)

They also usually ask for contrasting items, to show the range that the choir can sing.

I really am going to stop watching this! :wink:

WHY oh why do we have to have all the tear-jerking stories about their families and what a hard time they've had getting there ... it has got nothing to do with how well they sing! :evil:

They should enter a few 'proper' music festivals or choral competitions. The judges there are interested in how you perform on the day, not the fact that being in the choir has helped you get over the loss of your pet stick-insect. And they don't expect singers to behave like dance troupes (although I have to say, hypocritically, that I LOVED the act with the canes!)

They also usually ask for contrasting items, to show the range that the choir can sing.

I really am going to stop watching this! :wink:

I would like to see the rehearsals too. It would be interesting to see how the conductors work with the choir, where the tricky bits are and what they particularly wanted to achieve. Then the performances would be far more exciting because we'd be going through it with them. That would be far more educational about how choirs work and also how fun and rewarding it is to be in one. Part of the point of the programme is to encourage people to join a choir. I am sure there are plenty of people watching who think " I could never do that" when they probably could!

I would guess there are a few choirs in your area Annie. Why not go along and visit some? Don't be nervous!

I hope this doesn't sound pompous or derogatory, but most of the people I know who sing in amateur choirs are not very good singers nor knowledgeable, but they enjoy it enormously. For most people and most choirs, it would be wrong to assume you're not good enough. Give it a go!

Edit: here's a site which lists local choirs:http://www.choirs.org.uk/england.htm