buffie

Allen and Page Ex Bats Feed - Supporting BHWT

my feed store tried ordering it in from their Allen & Page supplier only to be told it's sold out at the moment :shock::?: They'll get it in for me as soon as poss but I'm down to a small amount in the bottom of the bag: OMG the girls will have to rely on pellets alone, will they ever forgive me?

I have just started a sack of the crumbs (after they gobbled up the 5kg bag of pellets). They love them and scoffed most of what I'd put in the feeder yesterday.

I try to vary the texture of their feed by sometimes feeding pellets and sometimes mash. This crumb is finer than chick crumb I've had in the past but not as powdery as mash.

I tried to try to get some of this today. Went to my local stockist, who had never heard of it, and said they could order it if i confirmed their supplier was one of the people carrying it.

Then in the next breath they were saying they probably wouldn't carry it as there are no battery hens here, so there was no market for it, and anyway what did i want it for as if i fed it to my chickens who are part freerange it would kill them as it would be too nutrient rich (yes, I wtf'd too)

I was highly unimpressed and will be seeing if the other stocker of chicken food can get it, but its not looking likely :(

This is Jersey

I have just changed supplier as the prices in my local place are going through the roof - and their roof is leaking so I am not convinced that everything is being kept as it should.

The new supplier will deliver for £3.75, so we shall be ordering on a monthly to 6 week basis, which, with her lower prices, will null and void the cost of the delivery, especially as we tend to get through about 30kg of pellets a month at the moment, and probably more once all the new girls are in lay! they stock both hemcore and aubiose - I have only been able to get aubiose locally, but the hemcore is about 10% cheaper.

I also asked her if she could stock the ex-bats feed as one of my older girls routinely lays thin shells, despite constant use of Lifeguard in their water, permanent access to oyster shell and grit and even limestone flour has shown no improvement, so I am hoping this feed will help her. She has quoted me £10.99 for a 20kg bag of pellets, £11.99 for a bag of crumbs. The difference in price is minimal compared to my normal, non-organic. marriages pellets so we are seriously considering moving across. My only concern is whether it is suitable for my new, still growing girls? I think 2 of them are only just approaching POL.

How will they fare on the move across as I shall still want to use Marriages with added flubenvet for worming every 3 months.

Also Clare, given the fab added extras in this feed, would you still be giving the Lifeguard? I swear by the stuff. My girls look like supermodels since I started using it 6 months ago.

I bought a 5kg bag yesterday from my local feed supplier. They were stocking pellets and crumb and also had a pile of information leaflets.

I don't have any ex bats but I am hoping the feed will give elderly Bantam Bubbles a boost.

A&I Supplies, Edgar Road, Elgin, Moray, Scotland

A&I Supplies will order in the larger 20kg sacks of feed. Ordered a sack on Monday and arrived Thursday, 20kg of crumb £12.90

I finally got it!!!

Equestrian World in Henley got it in for me:

Equestrian World UK Ltd

Manor Farm

Peppard Common

Henley-on-Thames

Oxon

RG9 5LA

If you're in my area, don't waste your time with Eileen Douglas... I phoned five or six times and waited three weeks and they never managed to get it in. One of the most disorganised companies I've ever dealt with.

The girls love the new feed. They were all pushing each other out of the way to get some from the feeder that I put it in this morning. Fingers crossed it will solve the soft egg problem.

My lot are now on their second sack and the little heavenly girls seem to like it as much as the big girls - at least they seem to be eating nearly their own weight in it every day :shock: !

They were in such a poor state that it should be a true test of the new food to see how quickly they become healthy-looking. Having had a week on it, they are certainly a lot brighter-looking, and have pink wattles and colour coming in their combs and ears. They are also starting to get very nosey (though that's probably not the ex-batt pellets fault!) :D

I have been feeding my girls on this - started off on the pellets as Jude had some 5kg bags in stock, then moved on to the crumbs as I like to switch them between the different textures to keep their interest.

They absolutely love it and are ganneting it down at the rate of knots. they are in lovely condition and laying like troopers too :D:D:D

Good on yer Allen & Page/Smallholder Group

*whispers* a little bird tells me that they are bringing out the crumb texture in their other ranges too.

I like to switch them between the different textures to keep their interest.

They absolutely love it and are ganneting it down at the rate of knots. they are in lovely condition and laying like troopers too :D:D:D

We do the same and our lot love it.

In fact, since owning chooks and feeding this brand it is the 1st time we have ever had an empty grub!! :D

I switched to the ex- batts pellets a few weeks ago (Previously used organic feed co's layers pellets) and they woof it down like it's going out of fashion!!! :shock::D:D:D

We ran out about a week ago, and our supplier didn't have any in stock so we had to use organic layers pellets again for a few days... their appetite and laying soon tailed off. We've got the ex-batt stuff back again and once again they are scoffing it down and laying large eggs!!! :D:D:D. We have to make sure we pre-order it from our feed supplier in advance now. :D

I ran out last week as well and can't get any more till Friday :( , so I have orderd 2 sacks for Friday and will order more as soon as I open the seond sack to avoid this again. My lot are eating the ordinary pellets mixed in with the remainder of the ex-batt pellets at the moment and are not impressed (and egg-laying is down too) - spoiled little monsters! :evil:

It's interesting Steph becuase they're all made by the same group... Allen & Page own The Smallholder Group, and The Organic Feed Company. The group produces the organic pellets that you and I used before, plus the Smallholder pellets that I used when I couldn't get the others. Smallholder also makes the BHWT products, although they are clearly a different product and smell different too. My girls loved the BHWT pellets, but seem to like the crumb even more; perhaps it's the texture that they like.

Good to know it's in the shop for those that absolutely can't get it locally, but it is SO expensive from Omlet :( . The cost of the pellets plus postage is almost exactly double what I pay for a sack in my small local petshop :shock: (and there's no postage reduction for multiple sacks either).

Glad my local petshop sells it :D (and I'm on first-name terms with the owner now too - made a new friend!)