buffie

Allen and Page Ex Bats Feed - Supporting BHWT

I am so pleased to let you be the first to know that Allen and Page will be launching a special Ex Bats feed which Supports BHWT on Feb 16th 2009! :D:D

It's very exciting for the Charity and has been tested for several months with amazing results. It's scientifically formulated to provide everything they need. :D

I'll have more details for you soon but thought you'd love to be the first to know about it and perhaps you can place an order with your feed suppliers, if you'd like to give it a try.

Buffie x :D:D

How long would they need to have this for? Mine have been out for nearly 3 months - would it be beneficial for them to have it or not?

I've weaned them off mash and onto pellets already, although they do still have them with warm water made into a porridge every morning!

From what I've heard it's beneficial for many reasons and I'm going to trial it on them all perhaps mixed with regular pellets. It's going to give them a real tonic!

I will update you all, I am being sent all the blurb in the coming week.

Buffie x :D

Great news - always good to see ex-batts getting attention (and the BHWT of course! :D ).

I've got my name down for 3 new girls in March, so will keep an eye out for this - though the current monsters will doubtless stuff their beaks too :lol: . Will it be available to order online, do you know, as my local pet food place doesn't stock this brand?

Just to update you I've spoken to Tim Page of Allen and Page :D

The feed is specially formulated for all laying hens to support all their body systems and increased nutritional needs. It's hard work keeping up egg production and this feed is ideal for all laying hens, not just ex batts. Their info also recommends this feed for increasing condition in older birds. As I've said BHWT have trialled it for months and the results are really impressive.

I'll be using it on my girls in the next week or so, :D:D

Some of the benefits..

Increased high quality protein for strong, healthy feather growth

Omega 3 oils for joints, plumage and eggs

Elevated calcium to guard against brittle bones, osteoporosis and improve egg shell quality

Boosted levels of Vit E, antioxidants

Protexin for a healthy digestive system

Higher levels of vitamins and minerals to boost immune system and health

Herbs, nettle, fenugreek and garlic to maintain weight, circulation and guard against infection

Sounds good doesn't it :D:D

It will be available in crumb and pellet form.

I don't buy Allen and Page feed - is that the small holder range?

Does anyone know how it differs to their normal layers pellets? I'd have thought THAT product should have everything a laying bird needs in it already surely? Don't get me wrong, as it's been road tested and the results were good then I'll probably give it a go, just makes me think that their existing layers is not good enough. hmm :think:

Ho Humm

Some of the benefits..

Elevated calcium to guard against brittle bones, osteoporosis and improve egg shell quality

Herbs, nettle, fenugreek and garlic to maintain weight, circulation and guard against infection

Is any of this true?

If your birds free range is there any reason to buy yet more expensive food?

When I was a child my parents used to fed our hens leftovers(including the chooks own eggshells)

I know the argument about hybrids and laying all the time but everybody here keeps their chickens as pets and not laying machines.

Don't get me wrong. I want the best for my chooks and they get it but I do sometimes wonder about feed manufacturers motives.

None of the above benefits is proven.

I wouldn't have posted it if it weren't true :wink: Yes we have pet hens but many of these lay many eggs over their lifetime and as pets we don't let them go after a year or two, as they do in commercial setting.

Feeds have come on a long way, as have all animal feeds. I'm sorry I haven't got all the details but I will be meeting Tim in a week or so and happy to ask questions. The basic idea is that this feed supports the hens complete system, an ex batt benefits from the additions to this feed for obvious reasons and other hens benefit from these additions supporting their continued laying and ageing. Remember a laying hen in a cage is kept for a year and in a free range system for 2. Our hens are producing eggs for years. :D

The food is in the Small Holder Range,

Ex Batts Pellets or Crumb. Cost to follow.

50p per bag of 20kg feed goes to BHWT and 20p for the 5kg.

It's absolutely up to you to choose your feeds of course, I just wanted you to know it's coming out very soon and you can feed all hens over the age of 16 weeks on it. :D

Thanks for your comments

Thanks Buffie

Just curious to know the difference. I currently buy Marriages layers feed but then am always supplementing with extra protein, calcium flour etc occasionally. Seems a great idea to put it all together.

Excellent news that some of the proceeds goes to the BHWT too. :clap:

Ho Humm

Some of the benefits..

Is any of this true?

If your birds free range is there any reason to buy yet more expensive food?

When I was a child my parents used to fed our hens leftovers(including the chooks own eggshells)

I know the argument about hybrids and laying all the time but everybody here keeps their chickens as pets and not laying machines.

Don't get me wrong. I want the best for my chooks and they get it but I do sometimes wonder about feed manufacturers motives.

None of the above benefits is proven.

I wouldn't have posted it if it weren't true :wink: Yes we have pet hens but many of these lay many eggs over their lifetime and as pets we don't let them go after a year or two, as they do in commercial setting.

Feeds have come on a long way, as have all animal feeds. I'm sorry I haven't got all the details but I will be meeting Tim in a week or so and happy to ask questions. The basic idea is that this feed supports the hens complete system, an ex batt benefits from the additions to this feed for obvious reasons and other hens benefit from these additions supporting their continued laying and ageing. Remember a laying hen in a cage is kept for a year and in a free range system for 2. Our hens are producing eggs for years. :D

The food is in the Small Holder Range,

Ex Batts Pellets or Crumb. Cost to follow.

50p per bag of 20kg feed goes to BHWT and 20p for the 5kg.

It's absolutely up to you to choose your feeds of course, I just wanted you to know it's coming out very soon and you can feed all hens over the age of 16 weeks on it. :D

Thanks for your comments

Buffie I'm sorry. This wasn't a personal attack. I'm not alluding to your testament of the truth of your perception of the advert.

How come, suddenly, the food that they used to produce is not adequate?

I am convinced that manufacturers use phrases like improves immune system ......antioxidants improve ..... blah blah .... where none of this is scientifically proven. It has actually been shown that a surfeit ...ie taking supplements ... of antioxidants is harmful to humans.

How can one food tailor itself to a variety of conditions?

It's obviously meant for a relatively small market so call it what it is. Pet food for pet chooks."You love your chooks so give them the best. I bet that would sell .

It's in this range but not on the site yet, it's literally being bagged up today and distributed by Feb 16th I believe. Ex Batts Pellets or Crumb

DA - It's fine no offence taken, :) it's a win win as far as I can see. More pet hen keepers mean more sales and this allows research and BHWT have been fortunate to be involved and benefit in this process.

I am looking forward to a food that naturally improves on existing ones, the bag promotes BHWT in such a wonderful way and perhaps when you see it...

6a00c2252668678e1d011016290318860c-320pi

Ok first preview of packaging, it's not a wonderful picture but gives you an idea. I think it's fantastic, but perhaps I would :wink: