buffie

Allen and Page Ex Bats Feed - Supporting BHWT

well, my girls have been on it for 3 weeks or so now. Initially I was going to mix it 50/50 with the original small holders feed as some of my girls are still very young but I got out of the habit of doing that quite quickly, when the new girls starting roaming with the older girls. Carmen's eggs are at last looking so much better. She used to have ever such thin shells, no matter what we tried. Often they would break when they crash landed into the nest box material. The Lifeguard saw a definite improvement, but it is incredibly expensive and we were getting through a litre bottle a month :shock: as we had them on super strength just to keep her eggs stronger. I was of the opinion that I would be happier for her never to lay again rather than the constant worry that one day she would have an 'accident within'. her egg shells have improved no end - still nothing like some of the others (I have to use a knife to get through the membrane on the Barnvelders!) but they are stronger and they have coloured up again. The shells had become a very uneven light cream and almost like sandpaper in texture (wince). Now they are a definite brown and much smoother. Not as smooth as a baby's bum, but a real improvement. We have also reduced the Lifeguard down to the low strength. We shall be keeping them on this feed from now on, especially as the difference in price is minimal, and given the saving on the Lifeguard ...

We always have given them a choice of mash and pellets. On this new feed they have turned their noses up to the pellets and will only eat the mash, fussy madams! I am now alternating each day until the pellets are finished and then will decide what to do.

I have also noticed a difference in their poo (I am an avid poo studier - who would have thought it!). Their poo is much lighter in colour than when they were on Marriages. However there has been a definite increase in the number of curry poos :vom: !

I recently made a change to Allen & Page Smallholder Layers Pellets - change-over has been gradual, mixing in old and new together. No problems there. Then, last Saturday, I bought some Ex-Bat feed too (after rave reviews here), but accidentally bought crumb instead of pellets. Mixed in with the other two, so as not to make a sudden change-over.

Now for the problem:

Cloudberry has been a keen layer since she started, including several double-yolkers (she is about 25 weeks old now). Yesterday, I was keen to fill Lady Hamilton up on feed, as I don't think she eats enough during the day (that's another story). So I made a mash of just the Ex-Bat and some water. I put both her and Cloudberry in the run (Lady H. too skittish to eat on her own :? ).

Today, only Lady Hamilton had laid, then this evening Cloudberry laid a softie. Then when we went to tuck them in 20 min ago, she laid another softie in the coop, and there was another teeny softie (no yolk) in the poop tray. I also noticed last night that there were the remains of some egg white in the run, which I now imagine to be Cloudberry. 5 eggs in 2 days!!! The only thing that has changed was the large dose of Ex-Bat crumb yesterday (though their last dose of pellets didn't have limestone flour mixed in - didn't want them to have too much either...).

I have separated her into the (red eglu) as her vent was protruding a little from all the laying, presumably (pushed it back in first). I will keep her in there alone during the morning tomorrow, and have prepared 50/50 pellets and mixed corn (no Ex-Bat), with a good helping of limestone flour and Poultry Spice for her.

Is this likely to have been caused by the Ex-Bat crumb? - blimey, it certainly encourages laying :shock:

Any recommendations otherwise (except a break in the Ex-Bat feed) - how about some Lifeguard? I can get some locally tomorrow. But I don't want to give her anything that encourages laying. How about the vit D liquid supplement (forgotten the name)? Thing is, I don't think that lack of calcium is a problem, so much as too many eggs!

Her behaviour otherwise seems normal, and she pottered about this evening as usual.

:? Confuzzed!

Also posted to Clinic section - apologies for double-posting, but thought it was important that it show up on this thread too.

It doesn't encourage laying but would support the process and improve shell quality etc,if possible, this may be something already pre existing by the sound of it and the feed hasn't hasn't had a chance to improve things in such a short time. Of course it's not a cure all and something else may be going on. :?

Be careful of filling them up with corn and treats too.

Let us know in the clinic how she gets on and perhaps call the BHWT Careline :D

Buffie x

Just ordered some Allen and Page Ex-Bat pellets from my local Seeney's in Abingdon. Expensive at £10.45 so they'd better like it! And comforted by the thought that a donation goes to BHWT. They had to order it from another branch and it'll be in on Monday. Then, I guess I introduce it gradually- is that right?

Just ordered some Allen and Page Ex-Bat pellets from my local Seeney's in Abingdon. Expensive at £10.45 so they'd better like it! And comforted by the thought that a donation goes to BHWT. They had to order it from another branch and it'll be in on Monday. Then, I guess I introduce it gradually- is that right?

I didn't do it gradually :wink: and it was fine. Always best not to offer choices, they won't get a balanced diet if they pcik and choose. After trying both types they chose pellets :lol:

So now it's pellets and a little handful of corn pm and green s"Ooops, word censored!"s and fruit in small quantities as and when. :D

I am sure you'll find it's worth the little extra and how cheap are they to feed compared to cats and dogs AND we get eggs and lovely garden companions :D As you say you're supporting BHWT too, so thanks for that :D

Buffie x

Went to buy some pellets yesterday. I've asked my feed merchant 3 times now to get some ex batt feed in, and also left him a leaflet last time.

Asked for it yesterday ....'No, we don't stock that'.

So I pursed my lips, and said 'I'll just take a bale of Aubiose then, thanks'.

He's taken my name and phone no now, and promised he'll get me two sacks for next Friday.

Heheheheh! :wink:

Any more problems with any supplier please let me know by email :Djayne.cox@bhwt.org.uk. I will then pass this on to someone who can sort this out for you. All I'll need is the stockists name and a telephone number, if possible. We want it to be easy for you to get hold of :D

I'm out of the office from Monday though, for a week :)

By the way I've now heard that equestrian shops can get the food in too, again any problems please let me know :D

Buffie x :D

I've had my girls on the ex-batt crumbs and they are laying like stink (all pure breed bantams and miniatures). Some of them are old ladies and they're laying a few eggs too, but then they were anyway.

I forgot to ask Jude to order in a large sack again for me, so have just bought a sack of my regular Smallholder pellets; it will be interesting to see how they get on.

Just over one week in of serving the ex-batt pellets alongside the Spillers ones, my lot seem to be eating the pellets ok, but when they are mixed with water they resemble cat sick & are less appetizing to my fusspots :roll: ! Mixed half/half with the old mash which is a much rougher consistency & they eat it much more happily.

The softie layer (Snowdrop I think) has started to get a very thin layer of shell now & usually lays it in the nestbox, but still not strong enough to withstand being sat on by the others when they land to lay, so I have to change the hemcore in half of the nest box daily!!! Maybe by next week the shell will have strengthened further & we may have a few softie-free days :pray::pray::pray:

Sha x

Finally, I got some ex batt pellets today :dance:

My usual feed merchant has come up with one excuse after another for the past 8 weeks, so I'm afraid he has now lost my custom and I will have to travel a little further afield to get my supplies, but so be it.

Big thanks to HENthusiast for recommending The Riding Habit in Queensbury - and sorry for nicking the last bag :oops: , but he did say he would get some more in by Friday.

I just picked up a 20kg bag of crumbs for £10.00

Wow you did well - I pay £11.45, and £10.99 for the pellets. Mine were off it for a week while we waited for our delivery, so they were back on the normal Smallholder range for just over a week, and I realise I wasn't go mad, they reallya re doing more curry poos on the ex-bats feed :vom::roll:

Dose any one know were l can buy it.Im in the strood area in kent l have been to gravesend before now and all around but have never seen it.Id love to try it on my lot :dance:

Try Pippa at Bargate Feed www.bargatefeed.co.uk She delivers for a very reasonable charge, and stocks hemcore, aubiose, corn etc. That is who we now use and she is fantastic. We buy in bulk and she delivers it all to my porch while I am at work.

Also worth checking out the Allen & Page Smallholder website - they will show you your nearest supplier of their products, and they should then be able to order it in for you

Wow you did well - I pay £11.45, and £10.99 for the pellets. Mine were off it for a week while we waited for our delivery, so they were back on the normal Smallholder range for just over a week, and I realise I wasn't go mad, they reallya re doing more curry poos on the ex-bats feed :vom::roll:

Now tht IS interesting as my new 4 came already on the pellets.(they had been kept back from re homing for a few months)

I actually hadn't seen curry poohs like these in the year I had my other 4, and I was at the point of sending a sample to Retfords but as I had so much mash to use up I let them have mash. I actually hadn't put the 2 things together but you are right!

Mine are back on Smallholders pellets again as I forgot to ask Jude to order in a big sack of BHWT crumbs for me :roll: . They've been back on them a week now and I haven't seen any more soft eggs. Usually they have shells like bullets, and although they loved the BHWT crumbs, it seemed to coincide with them producing some softies.