buffie

Allen and Page Ex Bats Feed - Supporting BHWT

I've asked my local feed merchant to get it in for me.

I enquired last month when I went and he said he hadn't heard of it. I thought oh well, it's early days, I'll see if he gets some in due course. Went and asked again today .... and he said he hadn't heard of it! :roll:

So I gave him the Allen & Page leaflet and asked if he would mind getting hold of some. He said he will 'try to get a few bags in' and see how it goes, but seems concerned that he will be left with loads that he can't sell. I don't see what the problem is, he sells the normal smallholder pellets.

If anyone knows of a Halifax/Huddersfield stockist of this elusive exbatts feed, please let me know. :wink:

I've asked my local feed merchant to get it in for me.

I enquired last month when I went and he said he hadn't heard of it. I thought oh well, it's early days, I'll see if he gets some in due course. Went and asked again today .... and he said he hadn't heard of it! :roll:

So I gave him the Allen & Page leaflet and asked if he would mind getting hold of some. He said he will 'try to get a few bags in' and see how it goes, but seems concerned that he will be left with loads that he can't sell. I don't see what the problem is, he sells the normal smallholder pellets.

If anyone knows of a Halifax/Huddersfield stockist of this elusive exbatts feed, please let me know. :wink:

He can keep some leaflets, get a poster and start off by getting it to order. I order mine in as she can't keep much stock. :wink:

Quickcluck, where did you get yours? :D

Buffie x

I found mine inbetween Brentwood and Ongar in a horsey shop, but only £9 for 20kg. My local place takes 2 weeks to order it in and it's nearly £12!!! It's a bit of a journey, but if I get more than one sack at a time, plus they do a loyalty card for money back!! A win win for me :D

Has anyone else noticed an increase in egg production and egg standard whilst feeding this?

All my girls (apart from Ella who has stopped laying) are laying at the moment and the eggs are much bigger with strong shells. :dance: Also very surprisingly Misty my cochin has yet to go broody *touches wood* which is a miracle in itself.

I highly rate this food. :D

Has anyone else noticed an increase in egg production and egg standard whilst feeding this?

. :D

I have definately noticed a difference especially with Bubbles the Bantam. Last year she only laid 3 eggs between March and August. She slowed right down prefering to sit and watch the world go by. My goodness if you could see her now. Brightest red comb and wattles and she has been laying an egg every other day since the beggining of April. She is still a bit slow to get around on her old legs but if there are treats about she can't half move :D

My rescue ladies have come on a treat :D They were all fully feathered within 2 weeks and two of them are laying eggs every day. They have doubled in size and their combs and wattles are pink and perky :D

All the eggs have hard shells, lovely orange yolks and firm whites. Lily was prone to laying softies regulary, since being on the ex bats feed she is laying nice white, hard shelled eggs.

None of my Chickens are having any supplements and I put the improvement to their health and eggs down to the feed.

None of my Chickens are having any supplements and I put the improvement to their health and eggs down to the feed.

Mine only have poultry spice - but they've had that since day one, so it must be the feed! Im getting regular eggs, so much so we are over run with them. :P

I've moved mine onto pellets anyway so you should be fine with that, even if they are used to mash. :D SO pleased everyone has good reports, it's nice to hear and it did have a thorough test with Jane and A&P put a lot of effort into the formulation. :D

Buffie x

I've been watching this thread with interest. Since I got my original chooks last summer, I have been adding most of the goodies which seem to be extras to my chooks ordinary food anyway.

Having read about the increased egg production, well the reduction of softies at least, I am now very tempted to get the Ex Batt feed & run it along side the other stuff as Mostin is.

We are getting almost one softie everyday, which is a huge hike from the occasional one we used to get. I can't even pin point which chook is producing them.

I've cut treats to the bare minimum (when they refuse to go back in the run for a handful of pellets thrown in, and I have to resort to a small handful of corn :roll: , Minxes!), they have grit available all the time, they have limestone flour, garlic and bokashi in their pellets and mash porridge. They also have started to have Life Guard in their water and poultry spice in their porridge.

Do you add bokashi to this food? I'm about to order a new bag & won't if I don't need to!! I'm also getting towards the end of the limestone flour and garlic powder, so won't replace them either if they are included!

These birds had better realise they eat better than we do with all their supplements, bless them, I wouldn't have it any other way though!!!

Sha x

Having spoken to Tim it really should have everything in it, I will only be giving a pinch of poultry spice now and again and other additives only if there's some exceptional reason like illness etc.

I removed everything that I used to use to test it out thoroughly and it's not been missed at all.

Oh and on the subject of garlic, it does contain it.

Buffie x :D

Do you add bokashi to this food? I'm about to order a new bag & won't if I don't need to!! I'm also getting towards the end of the limestone flour and garlic powder, so won't replace them either if they are included!Sha x

I haven't been mixing anything in with mine. Just to really spoil my madams though they currently have four feeders in a row :oops: . One with the old style pellets, one with ex-batt crumbs, one with grit and oyster shell in and one containing bokashi bran on its own. I started putting a feeder out with just the bran in as when I mixed it in with the food they threw the pellets everywhere to get at it :roll: .

They seem to treat it all as a buffet now, and pick and mix what they feel like :lol: . My girls, spoiled, I don't know what you mean :oops::whistle: .

Last week my lot had to have ordinary pellets as we'd run out of these and it took a couple of weeks to get the order. After a few days of 5 eggs, it went down to two days of 4 eggs and 2 days of 3 eggs, from 9 of them :( . I've never had less than 2 eggs ever and that record was looking like being threatened! This weeks we're back on the good stuff and eggs are back at 6/7 each day :D:dance:

I do add poultry spice, as the little heavenlies were in such a poor state, I felt they needed all the goodness they could get, but nothing else now. I haven't yet had a full house, as Daisy seems to have stopped laying altogether, but I'm still hoping! :pray:

I still have half a bin of pellets & half of mash, I'll go in next week to order a sack of the BHWT stuff & mix it in with what I've got. I did notice that she had a little pack when I was last in there, so maybe I'll start off with that. I found another softie in the poo tray today :( !

Sha x