chelsea

Help! something seriously wrong with Ella *update PANTS PICS

Go out to garden, chooks are in the garage.

Blood everywhere (so much so I am slipping up on it)

Pick up Ella and there is something hanging off of/out of her bum. By bum I do not mean the vent area. The area underneath the vent where she gets swollen from her sterile peritonitis is where the piece of flesh is protruding from. :cry:

I have put her into a dog crate with towel, paper towels. There is yellow pale fluid coming out.

Rang the vets, cannot get an appointment till 3.30 :evil:

I said she may not last till then and they said bring her in and she can stay here till a vet sees her. I said that would make her more stressed if she's sat in an unusal place for ages.

I am sat here crying and in a panic!

Edited by Guest

Oh no! Poor Ella, poor you. *Sends hugs*

I'm no vet, so I can't really advise with any technical background

I would put her in a box to keep her quiet and calm, maybe on a hot water bottle wrapped in a tea towel (Or if you don't have a hot water bottle, put warm water into a tied up marigold) so she doesn't have to expend energy keeping herself warm. All you can do is try to make her comfortable. Once you've done what you can, go and make yourself a nice sweet cup of tea for YOUR shock. Take care. Hope she's ok. Keep us updated.

Positive vibes and prayers needed please :pray::pray:

I went to the vets straight away, waited half an hour and was seen.

Ella's prolapsed through her bottom (not her vent) and the intestine is ruptured also.

Vet was astonished she was acting like a normal chicken, behaving like nothing was wrong with bright red comb - perky. :shock:

He is going to knock her out and have a root around (his words) and then ring me with the prognosis.

Couldnt see in the car coming home for tears. :cry::cry::cry:

thanks all. xx

vet just rang.....they've finished the operation already! :shock:

She has come around from the anaesthetic. In an oxygen tent and had a pain killer. She is sitting up.

Next 24 hours are critical. :pray:

Im surprised they operated, he told me he didnt think she would survive an op so was just going to look at it first.

Told the vet nurse she is a tough old gal, so I am trying to think positive. She said she was on duty tonight so will keep a special look out for her. She thought she was a lovely chicken, but big !! (which she is! )

thank goodness, that's a good sign! I'll be hoping and praying she gets thru this. If there's anything I can do (I mean that!) let me know xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Keep up the positive vibes folks, cos I think its working. xx :pray:

Vet just rang, Ella is up and walking around, & drinking. :D

She has put some layers pellets in with her and Ella's looking at them at the moment.

She's poo'ed aswell which is another good sign as it was her bowel they operated on.

Hope she's still around in the morning :pray: How nice of the vet to ring us.

thanks to everyone for their wishes.