Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

No need to call Tony - I just got an email from him :clap: . Delivery date (hopefully) Friday 20th March :dance::dance: . Yes, that's right, a week on Friday :D . I'm supposed to be on a course at work in the afternoon but s*d that - this is far more important :lol: .

And by the way, Tony does read this thread :anxious: . He said it makes very interesting reading :lol: . I've told him he's our hero :angel::lol: .

Hi Tony 7.gif:wink:

Congrats on the WIR you gonna have a hen house party? :lol:

yeah don't forget to charge up your drill nothing worst than getting a screw half way in and then that running down to a slow stop :wall:

I just drew a dimensional picture of my run and been drawing everything in (how sad) my chickens well i guess they would be kind of recognisable as birds of some sort lol

Hallo all again! I am today going to hopefully FINISH my WIN - it's a lovely warm day, the kids are at school and I have a rare day off. I need to get mixing cement and laying the block pavers properly, and block the triangles where the roof meets the frame to stop Mr Fox coming. I've never done cement before, so I hope I do it right!

Palmer07 - any tips on cement? I love your pictures of beautifully laid paving slabs - it gives me hope that I might be able to do it too! Great holes too! (you couldn't say that everywhere could you??!! :shock: )

Olly - my run is about 3.5m x 1.8m, plus there is a thin strip behind the shed which they love scratching about in too which is a total of about 1.5 square metres - so about 7.5 square metres in total - lucky chooks! All I need now is to convince hubby that we NEED a couple more chickens!!! Also, I am not kidding here, I hadn't realized that I could open the window into the run! :doh: . I have garden chairs etc against the wall inside our shed but I am now going to move them and move the 'chicken feeding area' (on top of our summer beer fridge!) to that area so that I can utilise the window to throw their treats in. Thank you so much for the idea!!!

See, this thread isn't ramblings - it really is bouncing ideas off each other!

Kris

Did you get to finish it?

Another thing to wield and scare everyone with ANH :roll::wink: Good news on the delivery day :dance:

I have the 19th and 20th off to really get going on my run as I am off to Brussels for a three day meeting on the 22nd so can't spend the weekend on getting grubby in the garden :(

The space for the run is now clear which entailed moving a ton of gravel and a full (of chicken poo) compost bin :vom: Sunday was too wet to start the footings but I am hoping this weekend will be better

Good luck on your chicken fund rarara

Have you tried having garage sales and selling baked goods at them. Thats how i got my chicken funds :D for (purple eglu) also there is a site called gumtree you can sell unwanted items on in your local area it is free and you can add upto 3 photos

Edited by Guest

[quote=

Palmer07 - any tips on cement? I love your pictures of beautifully laid paving slabs - it gives me hope that I might be able to do it too! Great holes too! (you couldn't say that everywhere could you??!! :shock:

Kris

Never thought I would post pics of holes anywhere :D Thankyou :D

RE cement.........I got my tub trug (well the girls dustbath :shh: ) threw sharp sand and cement in and mixed it up a bit. I would say it was 5 parts sand and 1 cement. FIL said this is about right.

Good luck on your chicken fund rarara

Have you tried having garage sales and selling baked goods at them. Thats how i got my chicken funds :D for (purple eglu) also there is a site called gumtree you can sell unwanted items on in your local area it is free and you can add upto 3 photos

Thanks for the suggestions ;) I don't think baked goods and garage sales would be too successful in my area but I might try gumtree! Thanks so much :wink:

No need to call Tony - I just got an email from him :clap: . Delivery date (hopefully) Friday 20th March :dance::dance: . Yes, that's right, a week on Friday :D . I'm supposed to be on a course at work in the afternoon but s*d that - this is far more important :lol: .

Brilliant News V :D :D :D hope you're doing lots of this :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

And by the way, Tony does read this thread :anxious: . He said it makes very interesting reading :lol: . I've told him he's our hero :angel::lol: .

He's definitely my Chicken Run Making hero ....... going to make my chicken keeping so much easier and I know the girls are going to love having more space when they have to shut in :D :D :D

Just off to organise my run building assistants :D:D ......now if only I could plan the weather :wink:

FINISHED!!!!! Well, a bit of tidying up needs doing, but the run is now finished. I did the cementing yesterday under the paving blocks and once it is properly dry I will fill the edges with soil and grass seed. I even used the mud I dug for the pavers to level what was the lawn and put grass seed down. Here are the pics taken about 10 minutes ago (please ignore the green canes and string to protect my grass seed from pesky birds!):

P1010219.jpg

P1010220.jpg

Do you love how they are all posing inside on the first pic?! I took the picture with the sun in my eyes, so didn't really notice where the chooks are until I uploaded it to photobucket!!!

Hope you like!

Kris :dance:

PS Olly, unfortunately I can't open the window into the run cos of the roof - doh! :doh:

I've spent an hour an a half trying to find this thread lol finally

took pics of proposed site of the 9ftx6ftx6ft run and are as follows

pic 1

CHICKENS038.jpg

pic 2

CHICKENS037.jpg

very easy once you know how eh lol I was clueless as to putting on pics just last night

I am looking for advice on where people think the best site would be. i have pros and cons for both sites i know where i prefer dont think i will have problems from foxes but ye never know

The pole midgarden will be getting moved i removed a fence panel to open the garden up for them bye bye privacy :lol:

picture 1 it could fit length ways down along side window or coming from window towards the pole which will be removed at later date.

picture 2 starting at end of existing run of eglu in pic down towards the pole and ending just on the paving for clear swing of the door! I think best spot for it as i would be able to see chickens better from livingroom window.

FINISHED!!!!! Well, a bit of tidying up needs doing, but the run is now finished. I did the cementing yesterday under the paving blocks and once it is properly dry I will fill the edges with soil and grass seed. I even used the mud I dug for the pavers to level what was the lawn and put grass seed down. Here are the pics taken about 10 minutes ago (please ignore the green canes and string to protect my grass seed from pesky birds!):

P1010219.jpg

P1010220.jpg

Do you love how they are all posing inside on the first pic?! I took the picture with the sun in my eyes, so didn't really notice where the chooks are until I uploaded it to photobucket!!!

Hope you like!

Kris :dance:

PS Olly, unfortunately I can't open the window into the run cos of the roof - doh! :doh:

This looks lovely and love the colour too very well done. How did you form the roof?

I've spent an hour an a half trying to find this thread lol finally

took pics of proposed site of the 9ftx6ftx6ft run and are as follows

pic 1

CHICKENS038.jpg

pic 2

CHICKENS037.jpg

very easy once you know how eh lol I was clueless as to putting on pics just last night

I am looking for advice on where people think the best site would be. i have pros and cons for both sites i know where i prefer dont think i will have problems from foxes but ye never know

The pole midgarden will be getting moved i removed a fence panel to open the garden up for them bye bye privacy :lol:

picture 1 it could fit length ways down along side window or coming from window towards the pole which will be removed at later date.

picture 2 starting at end of existing run of eglu in pic down towards the pole and ending just on the paving for clear swing of the door! I think best spot for it as i would be able to see chickens better from livingroom window.

I like area two myself as I think area 1 is maybe a little TOO near the house, but that's just me :D

Me thinks option 2 too! They will be shielded by the fence too!

You could always did in a mesh skirt to flummox Mr Fox.

Guid idea it should not be too difficult to add one.

on the skirt on the one we have already althoughthe run is still empty lol the kids and i put heavy boulders on parts of it just incase

Here is my WIR site. The end of the run will be about half the length of the shed. I am not sure how long it will be, Andy hasn't decided yet.

LPIC0165.jpg

This is the end of the site. This part will be fenced off with the hopefully electrified Omlet netting. The big heaps of old grass cuttings and chipped wood is going tomorrow.

LPIC0166.jpg

Andy has bought the wood. The mesh has been delivered, and the polycarbonate roofing arrives on Friday. We both have tomorrow and Friday off from work so I am praying the weather will be dry and reasonably warm so we can get started.

Further to the left of the last photo is more garden with our field ditch. My plan is to put a couple of Ducks there. This remains a secret from Andy for now :wink:

There have been lots of good ideas and finished runs and they have given me lots of ideas.

I also agree that pic no 2 is the perfect site for the run :D

I was just about to write the same lol Totally envious of all that land and beautiful view.

Ditto :lol:

My ex mother in law ie: wicked witch of the west has a house in middle of nowhere with mega land and total wasted on her she is definitely a hater of all things natural she probably has had her acres concreted by now lmao inheriting the house and land wasn't incentive enough to put up with her son :lol: