Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

We used galvanised clips(they come in different sizes I would use the small ones they go in easier and dont split the wood..u can get them in Wickes(they are u shaped and have v sharp ends to tap in with hammer)

the stapler sounds probable faster way of doing it though?

indie :)

Hi

Photos of the start of the WIR. Its called Hensington Palace by the boys. :D

3426831882_a109d3ba3b.jpg

son no 1 and 3

3426022237_293883c33b.jpg

son no 2 and 3

3426830560_7e60061c0a.jpg

3426829442_160dbd55ea.jpg

We have got as far as base done and panels made but without the weldmesh, still a fair bit to do and the ladies have been very helpful :roll:

I have to say that I did not put these photos up (brain cant cope) my three boys did and I have not got a clue what they did :roll:

sue

Can't remember how to work out ideal space for chickens, so I'll ask you lot! :D:D

A WIR measuring 12 x 6 x 6 - how many chickens please and the same for 15 x 6 x 6?

Thank you very kindly. :D

oooh are you planning a WIR?

Can't remember how to work out ideal space for chickens, so I'll ask you lot! :D:D

A WIR measuring 12 x 6 x 6 - how many chickens please and the same for 15 x 6 x 6?

oooh are you planning a WIR?

Undecided yet - wanted to know how many it would fit first to see if there is an advantage over getting some extensions.

Not sure if a large wooden structure would look right in our garden, however if our flocks are to be merged then we would have to add at least 2 further extensions so am just wondering whether a WIR would offer a better option.........though I'm really not sure as whether a WIR would impose too much. :?

Plus DIY is not OH's strength!

So advice on how many chickens in a WIR would be appreciated. :D

If I go off the "official" Omlet cube guide that 10 chooks can go into an Omlet cube run with only one 1 metre extension then my run is double of that size, & so I think 8 hens is ok. They would all get to free range for a whlie most days, too.

just a couple of pics to keep you going :wink: will post more later when I have done all the finishes touches this morning :roll:.
Well done hillfamily et al, your run looks very professional. Great that you had a lovely blue sky day too!

Andrew

If I go off the "official" Omlet cube guide that 10 chooks can go into an Omlet cube run with only one 1 metre extension then my run is double of that size, & so I think 8 hens is ok. They would all get to free range for a whlie most days, too.

But realistically 10 chickens wouldn't fit into a run + extension - that's what we have and feel 5 is just right. :D

Would be interested to know the sizes of others WIR and how many chickens in theirs. :D

Mine's approx 20ft X 6ft (about 6 m X 1.8m) and made for 6. I never plan to have more than 8 in there, and really will probably stick with 6 as I have accidently gone for larger breeds. Mine will free range 3 times a week for 2 hours at a time and therefore will spend most of their time in the run.

From what I've read my run is HALF the size it should be for them (6) to be considered free range, that is it is 'better' suited to just 3, full time.

Edited by Guest

Did son 2 not realise his trousers had fallen down :wink: ?

Mine constantly tell me it's just how trousers are worn by the modern young masses!! It is the same at school too- some of them look like they are wearing nappies :D

Brilliant run I am so impressed.

Would be interested to know the sizes of others WIR and how many chickens in theirs. :D

Mine's 2.5 x 2m and I have 3 girls in it with fairly extensive free-ranging (in the flowerbeds!). I have considered getting another 2 but would have to do something about a nestbox :? . Realistically I think I'd only have 4 max.

That's looking good, Earthmam :D . Lucky you having useful sons - one of mine helped put a couple of panels together then lost interest :roll: . OH had absolutely nothing at all to do with it :roll: .

Did son 2 not realise his trousers had fallen down :wink: ?

Its his usual fashion, trousers around his ankles! :D I keep asking" because he is a uni student cant he afford to buy a full pair of trousers :lol: I wont tell you the reply :wink: Son no 2 is doing a multi media degree and working with unsigned music bands so his fashion is sometimes unusal.

Weather not good at the moment so all building work has stopped. I dont mind as long as they finish it before they go back to Uni :pray:

sue

anybody know the recommended amount?
I believe the 'recommended' minimum space is 1m square per chicken, which is approx 3' x 3', or the 9sq ft you stated.

I currently have 3 girls in a 15ft x 6ft run, with a plan to increase this to four at some stage.

Andrew

Edited by Guest

I was thinking of a 12ft x 6ft but for 8 - twice as many as yours! That works out as an average of 9sq ft each chicken......anybody know the recommended amount?

I've read everything from 10sq ft to 45sq ft. And that's for total space, i.e. no free ranging.

I was aiming for 15sq ft per bird with limited free ranging, 45sq ft is considered 'free range'.

I have no idea how to work out what type of space my 4 have!.. LOLOLOL

I just had a lovely family visit to see my Cube and I believe they are buying one :D they are very taken with the walk in run as well :whistle::whistle:

I have told them to join us, so lets hope they appear! :D

The miminum requirement is 1m squared per chook so you could fit max 8 in the 1st and 10 in the 2nd.

Personally, I have found, if you want to minimise fighting and maximise freedom of movement, I work on 2m square per chook which would give you 4 in the 1st run and 5 in the 2nd.

I hope that helps :D .