Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

Lovely looking girls RB :D

Hope your wee one is feeling better. Maybe the car journey and excitment was too much for him.

He was very excited too so that wouldn't of helped and the long journey through scottish countryside and we took a wrong turn trying to find farm ending up on a VERRRRRRY BUMPY TRACTOR TRAIL lol he has perked up now though and after i passed out on sofa and woke up i feel better too.

Thanks Guys x

I am a bit scared to pick the girls up :lol: they bawked a bit getting put into carriers from their previous location. after a few days i will let them in run and sit in there with them offering corn in hand sure they will come round quick enough. I can't wait I cannot believe how soft they are i have never actually touched a live hen before eeep so gorgeous.

Is anyone else still waiting to get their first hens? The most wonderful feeling in the world cannot believe i am a hen person :lol: who knew! GNRGNR(white chicken)(white chicken):dance:

Congrats RB on your lovely girls.

Well we worked most of the day

Just the roof to go on now, and some ahem adjustments to be made to the foundations to make sure all of it is actually sitting on the ground. I'm told we're not putting the roof on until next week...

Does your run ever feel like it shrinks and expands, one minute I look at it and it seems huge, next minute I'm wondering how I'm ever going to fit two eglus in, a dustbath & a spare nesting box, never mind some perches, oh and the small matter of 6 hens!

Aoife

Congrats RB on your lovely girls.

Well we worked most of the day

Just the roof to go on now, and some ahem adjustments to be made to the foundations to make sure all of it is actually sitting on the ground. I'm told we're not putting the roof on until next week...

Does your run ever feel like it shrinks and expands, one minute I look at it and it seems huge, next minute I'm wondering how I'm ever going to fit two eglus in, a dustbath & a spare nesting box, never mind some perches, oh and the small matter of 6 hens!

Aoife

Omg your run is amazing wiblick very spacious to say the least :D

and on my girls i fear i have a boy chekc the combs out.....

am going to have to take him back and it was such an awful journey the first time definitely won't take any children next time!!!!

Random168.jpg

An impressive set of furniture on that white 'hen' to say the least... what a shame to have to make the journey again so soon. But the question I'm sure on all of our minds.. will you return with a replacement 1, or 2?!

Thanks re the run. I'll post more pics when the roof goes on and I start playing with the positioning of everything.

Aoife

An impressive set of furniture on that white 'hen' to say the least... what a shame to have to make the journey again so soon. But the question I'm sure on all of our minds.. will you return with a replacement 1, or 2?!

Thanks re the run. I'll post more pics when the roof goes on and I start playing with the positioning of everything.

Aoife

Well your run is amazing I want to move in lol

lol at furniture hehe most definitely return with one replacement because i am collecting 3 silkies this monday lol was initially going to be 1 then 2 and i thought why not 3 lol i have enough coop space starting saving for a cube though probably take me 5 yrs but gonna start saving wooden coops i am not in love with atall! dreading first sign of red mite.

RB - I took one look at that hen and thought 'boy' but if three of us on here spotted that and the breeder still sold it to you maybe the breeder knows something we don't? maybe that hen is older than the others, the breeder must have been reasonably sure it was a girl for some reason??

Wiblick - that run is massive, I woudl love a run like that :mrgreen:

Well unfortunately the girls will be spending most of their time in it (what with me being out of the house 'til 6 for work) so I went as big as I could without causing an explosion from OH. Although I have just been put on a 4 day week at work because of the recession - all I can think is YAY another day to spend at home with the hens and my garden!

RB - I took one look at that hen and thought 'boy' but if three of us on here spotted that and the breeder still sold it to you maybe the breeder knows something we don't? maybe that hen is older than the others, the breeder must have been reasonably sure it was a girl for some reason??

She said she is new to breeding the white stars this was her first hatch batch and they have combs almost identical to begin with some can grow bigger than others doesnt necessarily mean it is a boy but she was clear she couldnt be certain so time will tell i guess i don't look forward to possibility of having to take him back in few months if it turns out to be a boy would be a shame to split the flock after they been together a while crossing fingers and legs and toes. As far as i know the chick was born from same batch hatched on 24th january i waited for them to reach an age old enough to take them home. Time will tell i just hope it tells me something good lol

Wiblick - your run looks fantastic. What a great space your girls have! I'm sure you'll be able to fit everything in. The difference for my girls is amazing and they seem so happy. :D

RB - my first thought was that the white hen was older than the others but if its from the same batch then possibly a boy, I'm a novice at all this so I just hope that 'she' has matured quicker than the others. :?

Wiblick - WOW, your run looks great! Lovely and big too! I know what you mean about it being massive one minute and little the next! I have these thoughts everytime I go into mine!

RB - your newbies look so sweet and I will keep everything crossed for you, hoping they are all little ladies!!

Wiblick - your run looks fantastic. What a great space your girls have! I'm sure you'll be able to fit everything in. The difference for my girls is amazing and they seem so happy. :D

RB - my first thought was that the white hen was older than the others but if its from the same batch then possibly a boy, I'm a novice at all this so I just hope that 'she' has matured quicker than the others. :?

I am so novice i havent even had mine out of the coop yet lol i showed a pic to a few friends without mentioning the possibility of onebeing a cock and they al came back saying nice girls but one in front looks like a rooster lol gawd i hope their wrong lol fingers crossed for quick devleoper eh lol

Wiblick - WOW, your run looks great! Lovely and big too! I know what you mean about it being massive one minute and little the next! I have these thoughts everytime I go into mine!

RB - your newbies look so sweet and I will keep everything crossed for you, hoping they are all little ladies!!

Thanks Palmer x I had a peak in this morning to check they where okay and the younger ones making a softer kind of grumble than the others gonna take them a while to get used to us i guess. I actually woke up mega early hearing bird noises and thought it was hens so jumped out of bed and it was seagulls there seems to be an awful lot more wild bird noise around since i brought them home they must know there is something in there and are being nosey lol

My ladies moved in to their new WIR today :dance::dance:

I made them an Eglu table this morning, made a ramp then fixed the feed station bars added woodchip and shavings and in they went with their newly cleaned Eglu :D

They all went to roost under the Grubs :roll: so has to be posted in to bed :lol:

The chicks went outside for the first time in the Eglu run which has been (badly) attached to their wooden house, they wouldn't go to bed either :roll: I was wandering around the garden between chicken runs with the lantern trying to get everyone in bed :lol:

The WIR still has no roof but I bought the plastic sheets this morning (got 6 x 2.4m sheets in to my small hatchback :shock: I couldn't change gear though :lol: )

The run has a mesh roof (so is safe) which will be covered with the plastic panels - it has a tarp over it at the moment

Well done Tasha :D :D

......but really.......untidiness is not an excuse for no pics :wink::wink: we have the vision to see through the debris :wink::lol:

Just as well....if you could see through the debris my house is pristine!!!!

How's your prep work going Pam? I've fingers & toes crossed that the rain holds off for you for the next day or two.....

Sha x

Ok I have learned my lesson and I will take some pics when I get home

None of the chickens used the neat rungs on their new ramp this morning, they all slid down the bannisters :roll:

They are acting very differently with the vertical space they have now, one was jumping up and pecking the feed bowl I had in my hands :lol:

They seem much happier already, making the run was the best decision ever :D

None of the chickens used the neat rungs on their new ramp this morning, they all slid down the bannisters :roll:

Mine still struggle with their ramp :wall:. I've propped the end up on a log so it's much less steep - they're managing it a bit better now .

They seem much happier already, making the run was the best decision ever :D

Same here :D8) .

I can't wait till BF's OH comes to finish off the roof/guttering etc! (He's insisting or I would do it myself :oops: .)

I've been to B&Q and bought stuff for my roll up/down tarpaulin wind/rain shield idea :idea: . I'll keep you posted :) .