Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

Rosemary the WIR looks fantastic. Well done to you and your brother.

Ali-s - the thought of honeysuckle and clematis going through the mesh is a lovely idea, might pinch that one.

Well today I am going to cut the grass, then later on when I have a few more helping hands I am going to attempt to move the cube onto the grass so that on Friday the space is clear for Tony to build the run - yikes :D

Oh my goodness I am so excited.

Ann....I can feel your eggcitement :wink::D:D Is your camera at the ready :?::?:

I'm going to have to make a space in the garden on Sunday for the run panels.......not quite sure where......but I'll find somewhere :lol:

Thank you very much for reminding me - I need to recharge my camera :D

I've got the lawn done. I'm just waiting for my ES to come home to help me move the cube to the lawn. My hubby very conveniently has gone away on business until Friday...... grr!

I don't feel sick with excitement like I did when I got the girls but I'm so, so happy that the girls will have so much room to play in. :D

Lily and Bubbles moved into their WIR this afternoon. I think they like it :D

I took a few photos :wink: but don't seem to be able to get them on here :?

Now I want the rescue girls to be fit, feathered and strong so they can join the other two in the run.

Natalie thought it would be great fun to lock me in the run with the girls :roll: I spent a happy half an hour sitting on top of the Eglu enjoying the view until Andy came home a little earlier than expected and set me free.

Andy is away to Denmark for a couple of days tomorrow and away down to Glasgow for 5 days next week, so it will be at least another week before the mesh is cut and the Eglu is placed outside the run.

Tomorrow I will start on "Dingley Dell" which will be the girl's free range area ( I've got a couple of photos of that too :oops::) )

Blimey, that took some doing, finally some pictures of the WIR. Yesterday I fixed the brushwood screen to the North side of the run as a windbreak. I like the rustic look. The small flowerbed was dug and I planted a Clematis which I rescued from a pot. The grassy bit at the end is where the Eglu will be sited.

LPIC0179.jpg

The Omlet shade at the end of the run can be removed when it is not windy, I've another shade to put against the door. I did think about using the brushwood screening but think the run would have looked too enclosed. I nailed a little hook near the door for the chicken poop scoop.

LPIC0183.jpg

This is feeder/drinker station I designed and Andy made into reality :lol: Andy used a thicker piece of wood which would not get nailed to the shed floor :lol: When the rescue girls join the others in the run another feeder/drinker station will be put on the other side of the run. You wouldn't believe the grub and glug were scrubbed clean on Monday :roll:

LPIC0180.jpg

I think the Dingley Dell pictures can wait for another day.

Oh yes we would believe those pots were clean on Monday, within nano seconds my lot seem to manage to plaster everything in gunk!

I still have a length of windbreak to attach, but it's been borrowed somewhere else for the mo.

That's fantastic, I bet your girls are impressed with all your hard work...Dingley Dell is eagerly awaited!

Sha x

Thanks everyone for your nice words :D

The run measures 4m long x 2.5m wide.

Here are a couple of pictures of dingley dell. The area is a mixture of fir trees, hawthorn and leylandi. I am sure there a 3 redcurrant bushes planted as well, they are enormous.

The area needs to cleared of the rubbish. I want to fench off a bit between our boundary fence and the woodstore (wooden shed on the left). I have a plastic shed type store which will be going in the gap between the woodstore and andy's workshop (on the right). Tthe plastic shed will be used to store all the chicken bits and pieces, Andy can then have his workshop back.

LPIC0181.jpg

I need to fence off the end of the dell where our field ditch starts. The ditch is full of stinking stagnant water and is quite deep. The ditch is part of our property but the Farmer who owns the land around us has the responsibility of clearing it. We haven't the equipment or know how to do it ourselves. I had thought about a couple of Ducks down there but the water is gross. Eventually I would like to plant Bluebells and other woodland plants in the Dell, I will have to see how destructive the girls are there. Dingley Dell measures 12m long x 7m wide

LPIC0182.jpg

Another long post, sorry :oops: Its just that I have so many ideas :D You lot will understand about addiction to chickens, my friends just go :roll:

Your place looks amazing girl! so envious little stream and everything yeah you need chicken people for support lol I didn't think i was a chicken person but i havent even picked up my girls yet and already adding to the flock lol don't think i dare get more than 6 although already eyeing up another silkie would 7 chickens be too many for a back yard i have enough room in coops for about 10 lol *smack my own hands* stop it Roz lol

Fantastic photos Alison and what a lovely space the girls will have to free range in. I looked at your old run photos yesterday and the run looked really pretty.

My mum bought some Japanese Anenome (sp?) yesterday which I'm going to plant in front of the run once is built.

I can't wait. I got an email from Tony yesterday and he will be here about 2 which is handy as my YS finishes school at 1 tomorrow. :D

Wow Alison.....your girls are going to have fun with that space to explore :D :D they are very lucky chooks :D :D Don't ever worry about long posts on this forum.....we love to hear about everyone's plans and dreams :wink::D:D

Seagazer......Japanese Anemones are lovely.....one of my favourite plants and very pretty :D :D

K these are random pics of run i haven't quite got the holders on just managed to hold the top on enough to try it out and once i get cable ties it will hold very well added their dust bath and a big log piece my daughter and i found in the woods and struggled home with

the eglu area is where the silkies will go til i can integrate them with others gonna have to read up on that and get advice as i obviously have never done it before but i think i have an idea of what to do :anxious: still waiting impatiently for my other coop delivery

:(Random135.jpg

Random138.jpg

Random139.jpg

Random140.jpg

Random141.jpg

Random142.jpg

Your run is looking good RB :D The feeder/drinker station is very similar to mine. I like the chicken and heart decorations :D Your glug looks very new,shiney and clean :D , I do like the look of the purple Eglu :think:

Thanks Ali and great minds think alike huh :lol: The chicken is made from a plastic folder lol and the hearts from the trimmings of the blue trug which was very deep so i cut it down. glug looks clean because it has never been used as yet lol Getting four girls on saturday i am bursting with excitement i can't tell you how much

2 are 9 week old white stars tat are about 9" tall

and 2 are approx 18 week old Hy-Lines

then collecting a black and a gold silkie on monday coz the farm lady is busy until then so i have to wait :( I am no good at waiting lol

I would love to get a splash aswell but 7 might be too many for back garden although have the perfect name for one (cinders) coz of the black smudges on the grey

I have a corncern regarding my WIR.

Yesterday was warm and sunny, top temp at one point 19oc. I put a digital weatherstation in the run in the shade to monitor the temperature in there. The temperature reached 28oc in the afternoon. There were patches of shade and I fixed up a second Omlet shade high up to block out the sun. I moved the shade about as the sun moved. This I can do at the moment because I am on holiday from work. I am now worrying the WIR will get too hot in the summer when I am at work :anxious:

Thats a bit worrying Ali-s. I took off the pvc covering on the cube run the other day as I thought it was getting a bit warm for them now.

Well its Friday and my run is coming today :dance: . My ES woke me (accidentally) at 5 am this morning (he was going to wave his beloved off on holiday) and then that was it. I was laying there worrying about the run and whether my OH had measured the space properly. Honestly I am shattered now. :roll:

Well I suppose I had better go and tidy the house up to keep my mind off the run :D

I have a corncern regarding my WIR.

Yesterday was warm and sunny, top temp at one point 19oc. I put a digital weatherstation in the run in the shade to monitor the temperature in there. The temperature reached 28oc in the afternoon. There were patches of shade and I fixed up a second Omlet shade high up to block out the sun. I moved the shade about as the sun moved. This I can do at the moment because I am on holiday from work. I am now worrying the WIR will get too hot in the summer when I am at work :anxious:

I have a white tarpaulin on my roof and it was really sunny yesterday for once in scotland lol and the tarp was cold coz white reflects the sun and colours absorb try putting white tarp around that area it may help if they where too cold they would go into sunnier part but it would certainly keep cube cool when need be x

Tony rang this morning and my run is all packaged and ready to be collected later today by the courier....so it's all go for Tuesday Delivery :D :D

We're off out for the day tomorrow so, on Sunday it's a final sort of the garden, Monday lift all the old woodchip in the girls area and give the cube a good clean (having gone to the dentist first.....hope it's not an expensive visit, I've just bought a WIR :wink: ), Tuesday is run delivery day and then Wedneday is Build Day.......YAY :dance::dance::dance:

Well Tony is here (turned up nice and early) and is currently putting the roof on. It looks absolutely brilliant.

Tony is so very helpful and a really nice chap. Very amenable as well as to where you want things :D

We've had a lovely chat and he said he is really busy and the business is going really well. I'm not surprised. Can't wait to get the girls in there. They won't know what to do - its huge. :lol::D:lol::D:lol:

Wow - I am in love with my run.

First of all :clap: to Tony for an excellent job and being such a nice guy!

Hopefully the photos will be the right size.

P1020630.jpg

and YS has decided he'd like to move in :D

P1020625.jpg

All my neighbours are really impressed with and the girls seem very happy. I put Butch into the cube and then the other two followed her up, had a look around, a little bok bok and then flew back down again. :D

I have some branches to put in tomorrow, there is a little stool in there as well that YS has been sitting on and reading.