Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

Hi

We (royal we :) ) are also building a WIR. Have done the base, bought the weldmesh and got the timber but now have a problem. :? What do you cut the weldmesh with. :?

Any help would be appreciated :):):)

sue

Well firstly.....Yay another WIR builder!!!! and second......were are the pictures? :wink:

I have just consulted OH and he said I used "Side Cutters" to cut the mesh. All I know is they were the red ones in the tool box :lol:

They look like pliers but have thin flat bits that meet to cut the wire. I only had 19g mesh which is thinner than 16g so it may be a but more difficult to cut if you have the thinner. Mind you I also used the side cutters to cut up my cube run and I think that is 16g+

Hope that helps :think:

edited to add piccy link http://www.simbles.com/images2003/1964640A.JPG

Edited by Guest

Nightfreight have phoned and are due to arrive any minute :D :D

We're all ready to go........just having a quick cuppa and a re read of the instructions :D :D :D

:dance: Yay, I am excited and it's not even my run!!!! :roll:

Keep us posted!!! And remember lots of pics otherwise CM will start thinking up punishments for you too! :lol:

I want to build something!!!!! **runs out to own WIR to make a perch OR SOMETHING!!"

Edited by Guest

Nightfreight have phoned and are due to arrive any minute :D :D

They must've been by now :? . Where is she? We need half hourly updates :shameonu::D .

I hope it is there are they are busy building it! The other possibilty is that Night Freight aren`t there yet! :shock:

But yes ANH, I agree, Hillfamily could let is know if all is well! :wink:

Hi

We (royal we :) ) are also building a WIR. Have done the base, bought the weldmesh and got the timber but now have a problem. :? What do you cut the weldmesh with. :?

sue

I just used a bog standard pair of pliers to cut the mesh - some have a wire snippy bit (technical term) at the top of the handles!

Hi

sue

Congratulations on your WIR! I think DH used bolt croppers or similar......I'm not that technical, I just know he was grunting a bit towards the end!

I agree, pics are obligatory once you've announced you are expecting (a finished run!!)

Sha x

While we're all eagerly awaiting pictures of the latest WIR's, I thought this might be a good time to post a picture of my run that I've just taken in the gorgeous spring sunshine we're having here in Oxfordshire today.

img1901.jpg

For those that followed my build, I think you'll agree that now a few weeks have passed and the new grass has grown, the trees behind have sprouted leaves and OH has planted some bright yellow flowers in the run boarder, the run looks absolutely terrific :dance:.

Andrew

Your run really does look finished Andrew, I was going to say I especially liked the flowers in the border.

I've still got to plant up the border in front of the run. Cookie seems to like standing on the border at the moment so I do worry for the poor flowers :roll:

When we were out for a walk at the weekend there was a lovely pile of logs that I said to my hubby would be great for the run but I didn't like to take one. I think I will ring the council to see if its ok to have one.

I'm going to get a handle for the inside of the run as I seem to always grab the wire to close the door and I don't want to damage it. Oh and a pooper scooper is a must. We've had rain but the run seems to be quite dry. Hubby put up some plastic sheeting on the back of the run but we're going to wait to see how it goes for the rest of the run. I'm going to have a look in the water butt today to see if we've managed to collect anything.

The girls have managed to get up and down the ladder really well now. I watched them come down yesterday and the 2 GNR used to slide/fly down the omlet ladder but they actually walk down this one now :D

I'm going to get a handle for the inside of the run as I seem to always grab the wire to close the door and I don't want to damage it. Oh and a pooper scooper is a must.

I've put handles inside and out and they really make a difference. I've also got a largish plastic flower pot with a scoop in it which lives in the run. Everytime I go in I poo pick. I've also got a long handled brush which lives inside the door - I've made a raised step out of a bit of pallet and a slab so it's easy to sweep and we don't step on poo and hemcore every time we put the feeders in.

I really like thinking of little modifications 8) . Don't know what I'll do when it's perfect :roll::lol: .

just a couple of pics to keep you going :wink: will post more later when I have done all the finishes touches this morning :roll:

The run went up a dream.....started at 11am by 1.30 had all the panels done and the roof slotted in but not fixed......quick bacon sarnie and a cuppa and then back out to fix the roof panels and put on the plastic roofing sheets which wasn't difficult just time consuming as there are a lot of screws to make sure it's fixed securely :D :D :D Finished all that by 4pm :D :D

I also decided to create the 'sectioned off' area so the Batty Girls could move in last night aswell :D:D ......didn't want them to feel left out :wink:

sorry I didn't post pics yesterday :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: I collapsed on the sofa at 6 just as the pizza was delivered and only moved when it was time to close the eglu and cube doors on my way to my little bed :wink:

DS didn't want his photo taken but here are Dave and Toby (2 of DS mates and my 'other sons' as I refer to them :D ) doing their Charlie's Angel pose with the drills :roll::roll: in front of the run :D :D More detailed pics to follow later today :D

.......arrghhhhhhhh.........won't copy over photo links.............I'm sorting it............

right.......here's hoping :pray:

when I copy the links.... just like I always do......they aren't appearing on the clipboard ready to be pasted on here.......worked a way round it......took brain a little longer this morning as it's very very tired :wink:

100_0446.jpg

Dave and Toby (DS's mates who helped me build the run)......in their Charlie's Angel pose

100_0447.jpg

Will take post more detailed pics later..........

Re cutting weld mesh

My broth in law uses some great big cutters that look like branch loppers and he slices it so easily...But me I used my gardne hand held Secateurs..and did appreciate it would ruin them! But I they are still going strong(I am sure there is something with a proper name)..Mind ur fingers as the weld mesh off a roll has a mind of its own..Used bricks to lay it oout

indie :)

wow that looks a lovely run, :D they worked hard for you?? what was their payment??? bacon sarnies???

I 'think' it might be roughly the same size as mine?? but I didn't get an avaries for u one hubby built mine didn't he! Mines 4 panels by 2 panels LOLOL but cube on outside ;)

edited to add link to my run picture.. http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/hullahoop777/SP_A0334.jpg

Hi

Thanks for all your replies about cutting weldmesh - have now got that sorted :D (we think we know what we are going to do) :roll: The next question from OH is " what did you all use to fix the weldmesh onto the wood panels. We obviously want to make it strong enough.

Photos are being taken and will be posted just need extreme lessons on picture posting from my boys :roll:

sue