tom123

*OLD THREAD*BUMPED AS A REMINDER*2 dead, 2 not looking good

* * * * * THIS IS AN OLD POST AND HAS BEEN BUMPED TO MAKE PEOPLE AWARE OF THE EFFECT OF RED MITE AND AS A REMINDER * * * * *

Help me please, I am sat here in tears as I have just found milly dead. Poppy was dead yesterday morning now milly. Molly and Lucy do not look good either, just sat there in the run not eating or doing anything :cry::cry::cry::cry:

What is wrong? They have been wormed last month with verm-x, they have battles in their water, they stopped laying when the rain started a few days ago and now they're dying :cry:

Please help me

Tom

Edited by Guest

Thanks guys.

They are just standing around or sitting down, not eating or drinking, poo is watery and shoots out. Comb is pale red. They aren't thin but not plump as they normally are.

Can't get them to a vet until tomorrow as mum and dad away, just my nan here. :cry::cry::cry:

So sorryto read this, Tom. Have you got a friend who could drive you to the vet? Or do you know any local Forum members who might be able to help? If all else fails, could you phone the vet and explain your situation and ask for their advice? Wish I lived nearer to you, I would take them myself.

That doesn't sound good at all Tom. Do you have any Bokashi Bran and/or Avipro?

Pop Avipro in the water and feed them Bokashi Barn mixed with live yoghurt, this wil help with the symptoms, but it sounds like they need antibiotics pronto. Does the vet do call-outs? It'd be more expensive, but might save them.

Without seeing them, it's hard to put my finger on it, but it could be coccidiosis or rotavirus. My guess is that with all this wet, they've picked somethig up from wild bird faeces :?

Take a poo sample to the vet with you when you go.

A big hug for you Tom, and I hope that the others don't succumb. If you have time, then clean out all their housing and feeders and disinfect with Barrier V1 disinfectant or Virkon.

Hi Tom, I am so sorry to hear your news. I can only advise keeping a poo sample keeping them warm and hydrated and to contact the vet. It does sound like it could be something infectious. Unfortunately with this awful weather the bugs are having a field day. Do you worm them with anything other than Verm-x out of interest?

No just verm-x. I have heard it is not very good though :x:cry:

That's true - they need Flubenvet or a vet prescribed wormer like Panacur (not licenced for use on poultry in the UK). They would need worming, but I wouldn't do it if they are poorly; it would be too much for them.

The Bokashi Bran might help bung up their bums a bit, but it does sound like you need urgent vet help. Two deaths so close together makes it likely that it is infectious.

Verm-X is not a medicinal product but a 'complementary herbal feedstuff ' . I don't rate it and would advise conventional worming. Effective worming for free range chooks is essential to their health. Worms may be completely unrelated to your problems and I am not sure they sound well enough to start treatment on Flubenvet - you would have a better idea as to how well they are. If it isn't worm related stressing their systems with additional medication would not perhaps be the best way forward. Keep that poo sample though as it will give you an indication as to their worm status.

Well I have brought Molly and Lucy inside in separate pet carriers with bran and yogurt and water with battles in. However sadly, Molly passed away a few minutes after this. Now I'm left with lucy in a pet carrier on the way out. :cry::cry::cry: I don't think there is anything I can do now except keep the others safe. I will order some flubenvent and worm all the others and dose them up with poultry spice/battles/bran etc. and hope for the best.

I hope this doesn't sound horrible but is it OK to just leave Lucy? I have tried to syringe water into her but she spat it out. She doesn't look as if she is in pain.

Thanks for all your lovely comments :)

Tom :cry:

Just keep her warm and with water and feed. I'd try to syringe feed her some water with Avipro, but if it distresses her, then best leave it alone.

If the others are healthy, then worm them and disinfect the housing and feeders.

TBH, Battles isn't a brilliant tonic, but it's better than nowt.

Se if you can get some Avipro from the vet when you go.

Oh dear Tom. Poor Molly. I'm not sure that there is anything you can do for poor Lucy, other than try to keep her comfortable. I would still phone your vet and explain what has happened, as your other hens may need treatment as a precaution. As Claret has said, I would also clean out all your housing etc to be on the safe side.

Tom, so sorry to hear about your girls!

Did you get to the vet at all? If nothing else , it might be worth sending some poo off to be analysed. There is a company which does it through the post, seen it on other posts but don't remember the name...someone who does will be along soon, I'm sure.

<> to you.

Your deaths could be caused by sonething like an infection of some sorts but if you do get a sample of poo tested and it comes back positive for worms please let me know and I will put you in touch with someone who may be interested. For all chook owners I wouldn't advise replacing convential wormers with Verm-x it is not a medicinal product but a 'complementary herbal feedstuff'.

Oh Tom, my heart goes out to you.

I am currently dealing with poorly chickens and doing everything I know how to.

Have been using Verm-x too and now wonder, having read the replies posted, if I should've been using Flubenvet instead :(

You must be beside yourself and am so sorry there's nothing we can do to help.

Keep us posted ...

Every blessing,

Pat & Steve