Ain't Nobody Here

Introducing my new girls :-)

How on earth did I miss this thread :shameonu:, congratulations ANH! The new girls look like they are settling in well and I'm sure the foot problem will clear up within a few days. With everything being a bit new to them, they are bound to be a bit stressed and Penny probably just slipped getting out of the bush. A few days sitting and resting and I'm sure she'll be back on top form before you know it.

Andrew

Thanks, Allison :) . She seems to be fine now 8) . I was obviously panicking over not very much :oops::lol: .

Chrissie, I have no idea :lol: . I think Penny will lay ordinary brown eggs and I thought Poppy would lay dark brown, until I read that the Copper Maran hybrids lay pale or possibly speckled eggs :roll: . So it will be very interesting to see their first eggs :lol: .

Glad to read that Penny is now better.

How exciting waiting for eggs, speckled ones sound good, my three are shades of brown but I can tell them all apart which is nice. Next year I hope to add some new girls if the WIR is ever built and I move the girls into the (cube purple) .

How old are your two new girls? Will you have a long wait for eggs? Let us know when they lay :D

Chrissie

Pretty well, really, although Maisie still has a go at them if they go anywhere near her :evil: . Luckily they've learnt very quickly to keep out of her way. Milly and Molly are much more accepting and only peck lightly on the odd occasion.

My top tip would be to give the newbies ample opportunity to escape - by means of multiple exits and high up positions to fly to (hence the cable tie creations :wink: ).

They're currently sleeping separately but do you know if putting them in the eglu with the others at bedtime would improve things? Does it make the oldies accept the newbies more quickly?

It is a judgment call really.

My first set of intros I waited for WEEKS and WEEKS before putting the newbies into the cube with the big girls. By the time they went in they were free-ranging/dustbathing/eating together all day every day.

My second lot I had to get done a little quicker as little brothers chooks were arriving. I still left them completely seperate for two weeks. Supervised free ranging for next two weeks and then at the beginning of the fifth week I started feeding them into the cube via the pop hole after they had all gone to bed. After the fifth night of this the newbies decided to take themselves off to bed in the cube. My hybrids (newbies from first intros) were NASTY!!! No blood was drawn and I kept spraying the newbies with Anti-Peck spray to put them off. They kept chasing the newbies from the cube and when they did finally get in pecked and shouted at them a lot. Took a week for this to settle down.

I have to say it is only in the last two weeks that I have been completly happy with them as a flock and the newbies have been here for ten weeks now. All six of them were having a communal dutbath this afternoon so they must like eachother :D

I also think that the first intros were relatively smooth cos the hyrids were the newbies and my Orps were the established girls. The Orps are so laid back it is concerning sometimes!

Not sure if sleeping together smooths the road or not really. Not much help but thought I would share my experiences.