Scramble

Closing the Eglu door...

...is anyone closing there's yet?

I normally leave the door open in the summer so the chickens can come and go as they please in the mornings, but in the winter I like to close it once they've gone to bed and I get up to open it for them in the mornings.

So, is it time to start closing it yet?Especially since one is moulting?

Thanks.

I normally don't feel the need to close ours until the nights get below 5degrees C as the cube is quite well sheltered.

As an aside.....

However, my girls' internal body clocks appear to be getting them up at 5.45 at the mo, even though it's still dark!! So I'm going to shut the door for a few nights to get them out of the habit :roll:

I close the (blue eglu) which has Mum & babies in, but the others are all open all night, though unless i can get Blossom some friends, I'll start closing (pink eglu) up as she's in there on her own....and I don't want her to get chilly in here all on her lonesome :roll::lol: . Once the weather closes in a bit more I'll start shutting the others in as their doors all face northish (towards a hedge but still a chilly direction)

Sha x

Hi

I leave mine slightly ajar. The handle at the top is fully up and the door half an inch or so open, that way, they are sheltered and can push their own way out in the mornings. I left mine open all summer last year but I think it's been colder this year and I had to introduce 2 new hens this year and they needed to be forced to "get on" as it were! It gave the new ones an emergency exit!

We've been closing ours since we've got it unless we know that we are getting up late the next morning! Mind you, with the mornings getting later as it were, the girls are still in bed when I open the door at 6am. A couple of times they have come out then and grumbled that it's too early!

hi

i leave the eglu open, the 2 pekins live in there within the walk in run

i have had to close the cube door because they would get up at 5ish sometimes and wake us and i was worried they would wake the neighbours

they get let out at 7am now and seem happy enough, they are allowed all day freeranging so they are spoilt

sarah :D