Chook n Boo Mum

High Temp in a child

Calling all you nurses, doctors & mums, poorly child advice please.............my DD started off the day with a sore throat she said as I collected her from my mum where she'd had a sleepover..........when we got home I checked with DH's trusty torch & saw nothing untoward (last week she'd had a blistery throat which had got better in a day or two), maybe a little pink, but definitely nothing to be concerned with IMO :? Over the course of the day she's got progressively more cuddly and poorly, when we arrived home from collecting her big brother from school, she snuggled up in her bed having napped all the way home..........I took her temp (102+) & gave her some calpol, she's slept since about 3.30 until about 7.30, doesn't want to get up, says she feels a bit sick, doesn't want anything to eat, has drunk a little water, has now had some child ibuprofen & has snuggled back down to go back to sleep with a temp of 104/40.4 :shock:

It's so long since we've had a whopper of a temp, I'm rusty on procedures....is recommended practise still calpol/ibuprofen alternately every 2-3 hours....I've wiped her face, neck & arms with a cool cloth & she's dozed off & I don't want to disturb her as sleep is the best medicine in my book :anxious:

When she was a tiny tot she had shoved a pea up each nostril & had to have them removed under GA (4-5 years ago), ever since then every time she's had a cold she'd developed a horrible smell about her & a nasal infection, this has been with us again for the past 2 days, and I now feel dreadful that I haven't taken her to the doc for yet more antibiotics........would it have made any difference at all :anxious: ?

Sha x

I'm a bit out of practice, Wild Mum, as my youngest is 30 this year, but I remember that it is important to cool them down so it sounds as though you're doing the right thing. I had one who used to spike a very high temp, frighten the life out of me , and then be up and playing the next day.

I hope some of our medical people come along soon to help

Thinking of you and the little one.

Tricia

I'd do the calpol/ibuprofen thing and keep her cool. Maybe open a window ajar or turn the radiator off in her room. Make sure she drinks/sips water. I'm sure she'll be fine. By the way I'm not a nurse or doc but a mum to a 6 year old but this is what i'd do. Probably have her in my bed overnight so I could keep an eye on her.

Hope she's ok.

Thank you Tricia, she used to spike up when she was overtired as a tot & be quite lucid at 104F which is quite scary, her brother however would have been practically hospitalised at 102F......sorry I don't use C, I know where I am with F...over 100F & that's a temp so poorly :anxious: !

Hopefully she'll be bouncing around tomorrow :pray:

Sha x

Hi kitchens, we don't have any heating on yet, so her room is fairly cool with no rad, but she does keep dragging her duvet up to snuggle in to......I'll go & swap it for a thin blanket so at least its a little cooler. I did ask if she wanted her fan on, but she said no, her big bro is going to turn it on now she's asleep...it's very sweet he's so concerned about her, normally they s"Ooops, word censored!" like cat & dog :roll:

Vicky, she's got this awful smelling snotty nose, which will only clear when it's ready :vom: , don't recall any coughs or other symptoms, she was certainly fine & tearing round like an idiot when I left her at Mum's last night.

Sha x

Best wishes to you and yours, mine had a temp Sunday into Monday, just got rid of the last of it today and she's been left with a rotten cold - don't know what the numbers were as I haven't got a thermometer anymore on account of it made me obssessive and I was CONSTANTLY shoving it in their ears! :roll::oops: . Yes, Calpol, Nurofen alternately. As long as she's drinking and going for a wee I wouldn't worry too much about food, and I use a cool - lukewarm flannel, very loose clothing and maybe a fan, not directly on her but moving the air about so it will cool her damp skin. It's rotten when they're ill, small boy has a cold and middle one was diagnosed with shingles on Friday so we've had our turn (hopefully :pray: )

hope she feels better soon

BeckyBoo

Beckyboo, you've had it rough this past week then...do you have shares in calpol...maybe that should be a compulsory purchase at birth as we buy so much of the stuff when they are small :roll: ...you keep well & healthy honey :) Did you find you tested both ears with the thermometer to see if they were hotter one side than the other..........guilty of that here :oops:

DS is fussing like a little nurse, he's reading your advice & skitting upstairs to make sure we've done everything, bless his little heart :clap:

Thank you all,

xxx

Heck no I haven't.....off to check........you see, I am out of practice :anxious:

Phew...no rash.....but I found a different child in her bed to the one I've described on here.......she's a lot cooler, smiling and now eating a second vanilla yoghurt and her temp is 101.3F which is amazing :shock: ...... I just hope the calpol dose she's due in about an hour continues the good work :pray:

Sha x

No you probably won't get a rash, that's why I asked if there were any other symptoms! She sounds like she's fine - I had a terrible head cold myself last week including really high temperature, and the classic horrible nose which has dragged for a while.

Hopefully she'll be fighting fit again soon - good old Calpol!

If she's bunged up at night try Olbas Oil on the pillow or good old menthol crystals if you have them. Burn/flush any tissues to help prevent bugs spreading.

Vicky x

I've just popped her back into bed with some calpol & her bottle of water as she'd started to flag again...just like chickens they peak & trough at the drop of a hat when poorly don't they :roll:

Hopefully she'll stay in her bed tonight as I don't think her dad & I will be able to cope with the fan & "extreme ho"Ooops, word censored!"er bottle" in our bed all night......actually dad probably won't notice as she snuggles in to my side not his :whistle: !!

Whoopsie, we aren't on mains drainage & flush tissues is a huge no-no for us...untold horrors could occur, so a small bonfire may be in order!

Anne, thanks for that, I'll go & get the lavender oil out & place some on her flannel.

Thank you all for your good wishes & advice, I love Omleteers, always there in a crisis or moment of personal panic to sooth a furrowed brow :clap::clap::clap:

Sha x

Hi Wildmum do you have an open fire in the house? That's where all my tissues go! It really does seem to keep the bugs down! Sounds daft but wipe the 'phone down with an antibac wipe too - many are spread through the mouth/earpiece.

I hope she's better in the morning. Lavender's great - it can soothe practically anything!!!

Vicky x

No unfortunately, when we brought our little cottages up to habitable status, we couldn't use the chimneys without a liner & they were so badly built with bricks sticking out everywhere, we had to use a flexible liner which can only take gas, so we have a gas "log burner", very good to look at, but not so useful as a real one in many ways :( Mind you I'm trying to convince DH that a multifuel aga is a good investment....for snotty tissues if nothing else :roll: ...and excellent point about the phone, she spoke to my mum when she came down earlier, so lots of bugs got left behind then :vom::anxious:

Sha x

Hi yes we still alternate calpol and Nurofen. push fluids, and sponge down with tepid flannel if still warm. Check for dehydrartion - lips very dry and skin does not spring back when pinched gently and ask he if shes peed. I think if it doesnt come down in course of day to nearer 37.5 I would seek med advicem, good luck

Hi me again - with such a high temp - has she been in contact wit Swine flu? I would if it were me ring for advice - dont take her in unless like our surgery they have a back door for those who are classed as infectious!! If shes on the mend continue your good work. Push fluids - dehyration is the biggest worry in kids - water or lemonade if she doesnt like diorylyte and what child does :notalk:

Morning update; I wasn't woken in the night & she slept until about 9, had a few sips of water, her temp was just under 102F, wanted a piece of french bread & whilst I was downstairs getting it she was sick a little biley yuk, has now settled into my bed with a sheet, open windows and a cool flannel with lavender oil on. I gave her a calpol fastmelt when she'd finished being sick & some more water. Need to get some more Ibuprofen as we used the last one last night :x

NCY, as far as I know she hasn't had contact with swine flu, I'll give the doc a ring & see what they say...........

Sha x

I'd ring up and check for swine flu...sounds similar to what we've had. I'm in quarantine until Saturday and hubby is until Sunday. We are giving ourselves extra days away from family just to be sure as most nearby family are either elderly or very young. So far son hasn't got it. Hope he doesn't. I was the one in contact with a family that developed it. In their case, the whole family went down with swine flu except the youngest daughter.

As her temp had gone back to near normal at lunchtime & she seemed much better....sitting up chatting, reasonable colour & not glassy eyed...... I'm ashamed to say I didn't call the doc.....wished I had though when I look her temp again about an hour ago & she's 102+F/38+C again :oops::( . When I asked her she said she did have a headache, which is no great surprise given her temp :roll: and had volunteered that her throat is sore still.

We're still doing the regular Calpol & have Nurofen again, so she's getting the double whammy again.

She has eaten a little today and drunk an almost reasonable amount thankfully. She put her own fan on & asked for the lavendery flannels again, which seem to help a lot.

I'll be on the phone tomorrow morning as the doctors open.......... :anxious:

Sha x