Sheilaz

Sheila's Round Robin

:lol::lol: These few descriptions made me laugh, some of these round robins are so appalling, yet hilarious if you look at it that way.

But, to balance it out, there are some lovely ones. This winter has been traumatic and I took my post to read in hospital waiting rooms etc. 3 or 4 cheery round robins, full of interesting family news, photos and full of humour were just the distraction I needed whilst accompanying my Father, and gave us something pleasant to chat about too.

Just a few days before Christmas, he received a full newsy letter from a friend with whom he usually just exchanged Christmas cards and a simple message.

The friend said, that some people keep up to date with round robins, and, though they hadn't, perhaps it would be good to update each other....on the last 60 years!

It was a lovely letter, and they obviously had a very strong mutual respect & bond as they undertook army training before being posted in India & Burma during the war.

I know my Father was comforted to read the family news etc, although his friend is now very ill, and now Father is no more than a few hours from slipping away himself.

:( I'm dreading how to break the news to this chap, a few weeks earlier he could have had a suitable cheery reply from his old Army friend.

Anyway, just saying how these go from one extreme to another, tell me some more funny ones! :)

Oh Sheila. That was a well-timed and important round robin letter for your Father. I think people can develop a strong bond when they have been through an intense experience together. How lovely for your Father to be reminded of that and to catch up with all his good friend's news.

So sorry to hear about your Dad. I know just how you feel having been through the same experience.

My Dad kept in touch with an Army pal...and later, his widow, till the last. They met up too....about once every 20 years!

I agree that their wartime experiences create a bond like no other.

Sheila's father passed away in the early hours of this morning. It was a blessed and very peaceful release from illness and Sheila has had a few difficult months.

We look forward to seeing you back here when you feel up to it Sheila - our thoughts are with you.

:) Thanks everyone, this forum has been so supportive and distracting when needed.

Special thanks to Lesley who I have leaned on heavily (all those long pm's!) and Ginette who kindly emailed me words, & importantly music, so that Charlot can learn To Be A Pilgrim (He Who Would Valiant Be) to sing at the funeral. sent within a few minutes of asking, and to think I had wondered whether or not to ask!

Thank you for your kind words everyone. xx

So sorry to hear your new Sheila. I'm sure your dad appreciated you being there for him.

Will it fall to you to arrange the funeral? Guess it must be a busy as well as sad time for you. Don't forget to pop back for a virtual hot toddy with us when you need it...

:) Just read the extra posts here. Thank you so much, it really does help hearing such kind words.

The funeral isn't until the 17th which seems ages, but the first date the church could offer. I'm feeling quite strong this week, and I'm sure that is because I've had so much early support from friends, particularly forum friends.

Thank you so much!