Suzy

Fluffy Ex-Batt - not good news.

I have just returned from the vets. (First time I've taken a hen there which I thought was good news.) For days, our beloved top hen Regan has not been herself. She's not looking quite right, sometimes hunched, some times listless and very fluffy despite moulting I took her to the vet.

He picked her up and immediately said oh my, she has a massive tumour. She does, in her undercarriage.

She has practically disappeared before our eyes and as her body has decreased in size, her feathers have had nowhere to go and she has become quite fluffy.

She’s in pain but because she is so tiny he couldn’t find a vein to put her to sleep. He said she is winding down so I have brought her in and she’s in a box in the spare room where she’s still with us. She just had a bit of corn, and she has water and a warm towel to sleep on. He said she should go quite quickly. He has hens as well so I know I trust him to know what he’s talking about.

But it breaks my heart that she’s in pain. If they weren’t such flighty hens when we got them and we had persevered, we could have picked her up sooner, before she was too ill to run away and we could have stopped her going through what she’s going through now.

Instead, I have got to wait and watch her disappear. So, I thought I’d let you know, as I’ve never seen this before or heard of it and don’t want anyone else to have to go through it.

Suzy

I am so very very sorry. Poor little darling. There is very little you can do except perhaps to comfort her and as you have done, keep her warm.

Big cyber hugs. Having gone through my Pepperpot's prolapse last year, I know how awful it is to see a creature suffer. I wish her a swift journey to peace. Here is a good place to be..everyone here really understands......

what a sad story- :( we have exbatts as well and the fact that she has had a good retirement with you and been well looked after is something to hold on too. I wouldnt say fluffy feathers is a sign, 2 of our ex batts are very fluffy since their moult so dont beat yourself up that you should've noticed anything.

I hope its not too said to watch her go, but its much better that what she would've gone through if you hadn't rescued her. so well done.

But it breaks my heart that she’s in pain.

Instead, I have got to wait and watch her disappear.

Please take this in the spirit that its meant, but have you considered helping her on her way and dispatching her yourself.

I know when we were losing our Martha, it broke our hearts to see her suffering, but we still hung on to a hope that she would get through. If I was in that position again, I would help my girl get to the big flock in the sky rather than see her suffer.

((Hugs)) as I know how heart breaking it is to lose a girl xx

Well, she's still with us.

She spent the night in a playpen in the spare room and ate and drank loads. She was quite perky actually but was obviously quite disorientated.

Got up at 6:30 and looked in on her and she was up and about and eating again. Tried to give her some porridge and she started eating but then heard the others getting up and out of the eglu (we put their door shut and they push it open) and was more interested in replying to them. Was actually really cute.

So, she's back out in the run with them and seems OK. I don't know if she'd worn herself out and was too cold to eat or anything but as long as she is eating and drinking and being a hen rather than a hunched ball of feathers, we'll do what she wants.

She may well come back in this evening and I know she doesn't have long left. Will take each day as she comes. If she isn't eating and goes downhill we will make a decision as to what to do next. My vet didn't say he would dispatch her but I know he will if I ask. I would have no idea how to.

You lot are mazing support. It is so nice to know you can come on here and just twitter on and know people don't think you are mad, just wanting to do the best for your hens.

Thank you for being there....

Really glad to hear she is having a little respite and being with her friends in the run. I'm sure you're doing everything you can and I know how awful it must be for you to have had to watch her going downhill. Days like today when she is enjoying life must be heartening to watch though.

skye xx

Just to let you all know, my lully top hen Regan was put to sleep this morning.

She was obviously a tough old bird and wasn't going to just die but soldier on but she couldn't even walk this morning and fell out the eglu.

She had some corn and a drink of water, and we went to the vets. One of my friends is a veterinary nurse and she was put to sleep the same way that wild birds are if they need to be can be not nice to watch so I wasn't allowed, but she went with someone who knew her cuddling her.

Through all her soft eggs, her various trials and tribualtions, she managed an amazing 1 year, 2 months and 14 days outside the battery cage. She has left a huge void in my life and I will miss her always.

I shall have a bottle of champagne tonight in memeory of Regan, you are all invited to share a virtual glass in aid of ex-batts everywhere.

Suzy