cluckbok

OMG!! A Rat!! Help!!

Hi everyone! & Happy New year!! (not been on for a while :( )

We noticed that something had tunnelled under the eglu run and into the eglu run last week!!! the chooks are fine. We've been wondering what it was and I saw it today!! it was a RAT!!! :shock: as bold a brass eating some food that the birds had dropped. OH has put two bird feeder poles in the garden recently! :roll: so that doesn't help the situation!

OH saw on here that some of you have used these cubes that the rats take back to their nests and then eat. But what I'm a bit concerned about is what if they don't and they go next door or something? both neighbours on either side of us have dogs! It says this stuff is harmless to wild birds but what about dogs??

Is there anything else we can do?? We've seen a hole under the fence where it came in from. OH said we should block it up with something but surely it will just tunnel under again. It tunnelled under the eglu skirt too!!

I dread going out in the garden now!! :shock:

Thanks everyone :D

OMG I really have a major phobia about wild rats (have rats as pets no problem but the wild ones terrify me :? ). I would put down some bait boxes straight away although there is supposed to be the antidote to some poisons in chicken food which is why one rat that we had just got very fat on the combination of poison and chicken food. We have had most success with husband and air rifle. Good luck!

Ooh thanks but ewwww I dunno about air rifle! I couldn't bear it! gives me the creeps knowing it's out there somewhere!! :shock::shock: I hate going out to the tumble dryer now :lol:

Yeah may try some bait boxes or something. I thought I was seeing things this afternoon when I looked out of the window!

I use bait boxes and find them to be the best solution. The rats have to eat the bait in the box, so there is little risk of it taking the bait elsewhere.

This is the cheapest place i have found to get them -

http://countryfayre-countrystore.co.uk/rat-mouse-pest-control/traps-other-devices/standard-rat-box-bait-station/prod_321.html

Wyvale garden centre were charging over £25 :shock::shock:

The bait is expensive, but you can get smaller amounts on ebay. I leave it out all year, but am only troubled with rats in the winter when the fields are empty.

Me and hubby still talking about it and I been saying that I can't bear killing something! I know rats are horrible but I dunno! I know they can spread disease to chickens etc. Hubby said why don't we lift off the run and give a good old clearout and don't put any more bird food out etc, and see if it goes away??? Hmmm dilemmas dilemmas eh!!!

We did call a rat man but he said he could come in a month! So we baited a live trap, caught the rat and released him in a wood. Can't bear poison. Our rat man came anyway....because we had already paid for him.

He was called ROLAND. Honestly!

Rats are a nuisance though and they do breed quickly - so you need to make it as unprofitable for them to visit as possible. Namely by picking up any food spills etc.

Hmmm that won't kill rest of the nest though :think: if there are more, which there probably are.

They tell their friends and all have a feast :wink:

If they are digging into the run, the only way to stop them is to put the run on slabs or bring the food in at night. If there is nothing for them to eat, then they will move on. Stop feeding the wild birds too :(

Take the hens food in at night ....that will help.

No point in being squeamish about rats. They are disease carrying vermin and need shifting.

The dogs won't get at the bait, and the boxes are designed to mimnimise the risk to other wild creatures.

Here, here :clap: I knew we could rely on Egluntyne to get straight to the point! :lol:

Ooh thanks but ewwww I dunno about air rifle! I couldn't bear it!

I agree with Chucky Mama, an air rifle is quick and painless if you are a good shot....and at risk of blowing our own trumpets, DH & I are a good shot! I got 3 one day a couple of years ago before we had chooks....not sure who was most impressed me for doing it or the builders that I had!!

I have had little success with bait....maybe I should give it a bit longer, but patience is not my strong point! Not having much luck with "snappy" traps either....must get them checked to ensure they are set correctly.....there is no way I could set a rat free from a humane trap.......I have a feeling that's illegal anyway

I'm in the process of slabbing my WIR, hopefully I will have "won" some more slabs on freecycle this evening to finish it off. I thought I might leave a small area in the middle for the chooks to dustbath.....will I heck the blighters are just tunnelling further under the slabs to get to the food.....

You must kill them by whatever means suits you, or they multiply at a phenomenal rate.

****goes off mumbling about freeloading vermin****

Sha x

I wouldn't just leave them and hope they go away...

They are unlikely to! They are more likely to keep breeding, and breeding, and breeding...

Killing things isn't something to take lightly - but with rats there isn't an awful lot of choice - a) Kill it or b)Accept it (and all it's family) running around your garden.

I chose the kill it route - and don't regret it!

I have to say I hate killing anything, but rats .... they've gotta go! The bait box works really well and if you see any rat holes anywhere else in the garden where the chooks can't get to, stuff a poison block right into the whole with a stick.

We live right in the country so there is no way we can keep on top of them, but we do our best in the chicken area.

All the best of luck :)

I spotted a tunnel either side of the eglu going into the run, just before New Year. Unfortunately it was the day before we were going away so couldn't do anything immediately. I had a few bricks around so I pressed them right up against the Eglu all around in the hope of discouraging the rat/s whilst we were away.

As soon as we got back, hubby and I moved the Eglu and run to one side, and found a whole load of tunnels and a stash of pellets. One of the tunnels went under the run, but didn't go too far. We cleared all the pellets away and filled in the tunnels. In the short term we've turned the Eglu around so the actual Eglu and part of the run is on the patio, the rest is still on the ground. So far there doesn't seem to be any more tunnels anywhere, I have no idea where the rats might be living. In the long term I'm on the look out for some paving slabs and we'll pave the whole area.

Hope you sort your problem soon.

Lordy in 2 years I have not seen rats but they must be starving and have burrowed under our run too - I only noticed since the 30 inches of snow is melting!! I hate them and will have to try and do something but I have 2 cats and are worried they will bring a dead rat home and have eaten part of it with poison! - It looks as if they are a lot more than one here and I am not amused at all will bring in the food at night from now on.

I use bait boxes with the waxy blocks inside on a skewer. Our dog hasn't been affected as we've placed the boxes out of her nose's reach plus where ever the rats have died she hasn't got hold of them (Under the shed i expect). I was squeemish about the thought of killing something but I'd rather it was a rat than my chooks through their desease.

You could try boxes with eradibait in it, not used it myself, but it's supposed to be harmless to other birds and animals with no risk of secondary poisoning from the dead rats.

linky thingy

It says...

no risk to children or pets

no risk to livestock or birds

no risk of either primary or secondary poisoning - bird of prey friendly

no known resistance

no special requirement for transport, handling, storage or disposal

no risk of contamination to crops or food

no environmental pollution - fully biodegradable

Hope this helps.

I have just ordered eradibait - I have 2 cats and sons dog and live next door to a vets so dont want to put down other stuff particularly when at the moment we have a dog in the surgery on vitamin K with warfarin poisoning and I know what it can do =- will let you know how the eradibait does - meanwhile I have plans to put mesh under my run! but as a temp measure I have removed the food and will move the eglu tomorrow onto the hard as nails clay soil which I doubt the rats will be able to dig as it needs a pick to make any impression on it and will have to give the girls some bark in the run.