iar fach goch

Missing Girls - update - good news!

Went out for a lovely bike ride with the boys this morning, but on our return, boys noticed that we had a missing hen. Had a look but could not find hen or any evidence of a visit, and other three were fine. Had lunch, then we all went out to look and found that we had no hens! After thoroughly searching garden, decide to look further afield and found their dropppings in a part of the garden they shouldn't have access to which leads to a gate (which is never used) opening out on a housing estate. We climbed the wall to get out and luckily found 3 of the girls having a wander round the estate! They were quickly confined to barracks so that we could look for the 4th. When we asked one of the residents if she had seen a hen she replied "No.... not today, there are usually 4 of them hanging around on that corner every morning!". :shock: And I always thought they were such good girls! :oops: Spent most of the afternoon/evening looking for Blod but unfortunately she still has not returned home, so I presume that we will not see her again :cry: Have tried to prepare boys for this, but they are optimistic that she will return and that she has only gone on a sleepover to her friends on the local farm, who often come and visit our garden. :pray:

Edited by Guest

Aww sorry to hear that Sglod is still missing :(

I have 2 wanderers that I have to keep an eye on :roll: Luckily a little girl spotted one of mine in a neighbour's hedge and knocked on my door -I didn't even notice she was missing :oops: Another I thought I'd lost was up our apple tree roosting and she blended in perfectly!

Hopefully Sglod has found a safe place to sleep and will be back in the morning :pray:

Sorry to read about Sglod - but as Lewis says there is still hope. :pray:

I have a number of wanderers too. The other day I took the quad and trailer to pick up some gravel from a neighbour's yard. It's about 600yds down a main road. After working away for 10 minutes or so a chicken strolls into my eyeline just where I'm digging, and then two more. Funny I didn't think any of our immediate neigbours kept chickens :wall::wall::wall:

Anyway getting them and the quad back along the road was interesting :shock:

I wish you all the best for tomorrow :pray:

We've had some of that recently (for details see the 'Hen Rights' thread).

Could you have shut your hen in somewhere? It's very easy to just pop to the shed or garage for something and let somebody inquisitive in by accident - we've done that a couple of times and realised the next morning (they look very cute perched on the lawnmower handle or wherever they could find). Or could she have gone broody somewhere?

I hope she reappears soon!

Kirstine

Still no sign of her, boys have been up to the farm where her friends live and had a look round, but no-one in and their free rangers were out for the day, so impossible to know whether or not she has joined their flock. Will try and pop up again today, but I think we'll just have to accept that we've seen the last of her. :cry:

:D Great news, received a message via Face book this evening from one of the girls who lives in the village who had been talking to a neighbour who said that he had found a very tame hen a couple of weeks ago. He had passed it on to another neighbour who works at a local agricultural college and sometimes keeps hens. We went round 3 times, but there was no-one in. I must admit to trespassing to have a look at her hen house, and sat in side was our Blod who got all excited. Unfortunately had to leave her behind, boys could not understand why I left her. We returned after tea, and know have our lovely Blod back with us! The boys are over the moon, but her friends are not so sure! So the moral of the story is never give up hope - as some of you said! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D