jsbates65

urban chickens?

I live in town, but have a large backyard that has a 6 foot fence. . .so enough room for 3 chickens. Do most of you live in the city or in more rural areas. I've always had an interest in chickens, but I never thought I could have them in town until I saw the Eglu.

I live in a medium sized market town (42k people), I have a Victorian end of terrace house with an 80' long, narrow garden fenced with 4' fences. I have 8 bantams, who are fine and love their patch. Just bear in mind that they will need greens to eat, so if you don't have any vegetation for them to eat (grass etc), then you will need to give them extra veggies to munch on.

Do you have a piccie of your yard/garden?

We have a 1930's suburban semi.

The reason we bought the eglu was because it was designed for gardens like ours. It's safe for the chooks, it's easy to clean and can be moved about easily

We wouldn't have had chickens without the eglu. We currently have our name down for the eglu mk3 (cube) :D:D:D which means we can have more chickens :D:D

im in rural Devon. small village, but in a cul-de-sac of about 20 houses. very wide garden with 6 foot solid fence all around. My garden is 90% decked and pebbles with a small patch of grass under a blossom tree. :)

my girls love to free range in my garden and make their own dustbaths.

I have a tiny garden on two levels - first is decking and then a set of steps up to a concrete area where my eglu is. I do have 6ft high fences all round.

As I dont have any lawn I give my girles lots of extra greens as well as their mash - the few potted plants I do have still get a bashing though :roll:

We have a large 140ft garden with 4ft fencing all round. The girls have their own area fenced off with Omlet fencing, but they are allowed to wander under supervision around the rest off the garden.

They love it when we are working in the Veggie garden (loads of wormies! :shock: )

Roll on after Easter when we get more girlies :dance::dance::dance:

i have a pic, but not sure how to attach it here. We typically have a good yard of green grass, I also plant lots of basil & rosemary & tomatoes.

I also just picked up two chicks this morning! I went with 2 week old chicks as that is all they have. They are sex-link chickens so should definitely be pullets, but the people at the feed store seemed a bit unaware. . .and couldn't tell me how they were able to tell that they were female.

They just came from the hatchery tagged as pullets.

I would love to share a pic and let you guys weigh in. Also they have they tags in their wing? What am I to do with that?[/img][/url]

I was able to upload a couple of pics to the Gallery. It's titled "my kansas yard". . .one of the yard one of my two new girls.

They are sex-link birds. . .please tell me they are pullets as advertised! ;-) The red is Rosemary and the black is Clarisse.

Also, what am I to do with those tags? Will they come out as they grow?

Found it at last!

Gorgeous chicks - but those rings don't look good :( . Are they through flesh, or just through feather? I agree with Claret - would try to get rid if possible. And the 'yard' looks so lush! My chickens would be drooling at all that lovely grass! :D

just checked out your photos in the gallery.

Your yard is very pretty and perfect for chickens (much nicer than my garden :oops: )

im envious you have lovely lush GRASS . :shock: .......which is something you'll see a lot less of if your chickens free range!! Mind you, you do have a lot of grass so I dont see the chickens eating all of it !! :lol:

I live in town, but have a large backyard that has a 6 foot fence. . .so enough room for 3 chickens. Do most of you live in the city or in more rural areas. I've always had an interest in chickens, but I never thought I could have them in town until I saw the Eglu.

We're in inner London - and we have chickens in an eglu! I think it makes chicken keeping even more fun doing it in a big city, because its so unexpected. I love seeing the faces of new visitors when they walk down the garden path to our front door and find the chooks studying them with great interest!! 8)

We have a tiny back yard by US standards but a reasonable size for an urban town centre. Our chooks have to live in their run for most of the day and can only come out into the rest of the garden when we're home from work.

We're going to get our 4th chook today and I'll post some pictures later of the chooks and our garden - weather permitting! :pray:

Not that you're excited or anything Jaime........... :wink:

We have a largeish garden. the girls are in a large pen during the mornings when we are both at work and get let out about lunchtime when paul gets home - then they free range over some of the garden (we had to fence them off a bit as we really wanted to keep some of our grass :roll: )