chickencam

The easiest fruit cake ever

I wonder if the taste develops over time - some fruit cakes do.

I think this one does taste better over time. The first one I made got wolfed down; the second one, with the Earl Grey tea in, definitely improved over the week or so it took to eat it.

I'm expecting these two will also improve with maturation (like us, really), and I'm anticipating that the one with the Earl Grey in will improve even more than the other one.

I've just done my taste test for today.

The cakes were made about 48 hours ago, and were first cut yesterday.

I did a blind test.

Both cakes are very moist, and delicious.... but one has more slightly more depth of flavour than the other: the Earl Grey.

Looking forward to tomorrow to see if the gap widens!

5 days in, and both cakes continue to be really moist, and both taste delicious.

The Earl Grey cake definitely has even more depth-of-flavour to it. It's not any more moist than the plain water cake, and I can't taste Earl Grey Tea or anything, it's just got a deeper sort of taste to it

I'm curious to know whether it will continue as now, or whether it will get deeper if I leave it for longer.

There's still plenty of cake left, so I'll carry on the trial for a bit longer.

Hx

Incredibly, I'm still munching through my two fruit cakes. I haven't eaten any for three days.

I've lost track a bit, I think they are 11? 12? days old now.

Still delicious. But the non-Earl Grey one was dryer today. Still perfectly edible, but not as succulent. The Earl Grey one was very moist still.

I'll plough on.

I made Karina's Guinness cake... well it was one of two which I made the other week and froze, defrosted it and plopped some icing in... delicious and even moister after freezing.

Get thee behind me, Claret!

I am not looking at the recipe, I am not looking at the recipe, I am not looking at the recipe

until my other two cakes are finished and I've worked them off

After rediscovering this topic, I now have a fruit cake in the oven, made with Earl Grey tea instead of the water. I used two bags - hope its not too strong. I just hope it cooks in the next 2 hours :anxious:

I made mine on May the 4th (be with you an all that jazz) and it is still going (kids aren't a huge fan and I am trying some restraint!) It is still beautifully moist and tastes gorgeous. It doesn't taste of Earl Grey, but I didn't make one with water just to compare. I'm sure if I had done that, I would be able to taste the difference. Just love this fruit cake recipe :D

A mix is brewing made with Lady Grey tea which is a lighter version of Earl Grey, I didn't have any Earl Grey. It will be interesting to see how it comes out. I also use mostly dark brown soft sugar in mine now, because it gives a lovely treacly taste to the cake. I think the original one that I tasted was made this way, because the first few I made didn't quite live up to the original and I am still not sure that I am quite there.

I am not sure that I like the version with the Lady Grey as much it has given it an extra citrus flavour that I not so keen on, although this one was also made with all sultanas because I found 3 bags of them in the cupboard and my DS eats all the raisins normally, so that probably made a difference too.

Still nice though. :wink: