chickencam

The easiest fruit cake ever

When we went to the Three Counties the other week, we were invited to have tea and cake with one of my OH's clients when we called in to say hello. The cake we had was a lovely moist dark fruit cake, I loved it so much that we asked his wife for the recipe. I would like to share it with you all, because it is yummy and quick and easy to make.

The measurements are all imperial, and I haven't tried to convert them because it worked.

1lb mixed dried fruit, I just used raisin and sultanas, because I don't like all the seeds in currants.

6oz granulated sugar

2oz mixed peel

4oz margarine

1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

a pinch of salt

1 teaspoon of mixed spice

8 floz water.

Put all of the above into a pan and bring to the boil, simmer for 1 minute then allow to cool before adding

4oz self raising flour

4oz plain flour

and 2 eggs (I used 3 yesterday because they were on the small side and we have lots)

Mix well and pour (yes pour it makes a runny batter don't worry) into a lined cake tin it suggests a 7 inch square or 8 inch round, I used a 9in spring form and that was fine.

Cook at 350 F about 175 C for 1 -1/4 hours I reduced the temperature slightly after the first half hour, then test with a skewer which should come out clean.

It is so easy and really quick to cook, it is the fruit cake I have been searching for, I love fruit cake :D

I have made it twice since Saturday, the first cake got eaten by people waiting for 3 hours for my daughter and her group to turn up after their D of E silver expedition in the Black Mountains on Sunday, then by the girls on their arrival. :roll:

Glad you liked the prune variation. As I said it was out of having no other dried fruit and no cake in the house, that I tried it and now I always add some prunes. I also now cook it at 140 C in my fan oven which tends to cook very hot. I usually cook it for just over an hour and it is very moist, my OH likes squidgy cake, I like my slightly dark on the edges, so I vary it to suit all tastes.

I've now made 2 of these today....because I ate the first one....no no because it was so easy and tasty. Its going down as a favourite cake stall cake from now on. I did obviously have to try the first one though :!: and I don't see why you couldn't add marzipan. The actual cake is quite dark and it doesn't have quite the same crumb as a traditional cake; its slightly more moist and puddingy.

Presume this is a light coloured fruit cake as opposed to a Xmas type cake - due to the normal sugar & no treacle?

Would this be nice with a layer of marzipan in, as a sort of Simnel cake? Not religious, just lurrrve marzipan! :drool:

Emma.x

Yum!!!...Just eat the marzipan :D - it's the cake that's vile :lol:

(I make it because I hate fruit cake and I'm losing weight - Carl and my son eat cake to keep weight on so they get fruit cake!)

....and, yes, it is a light fruit cake that keeps well. I gave Carl the recipe and he now makes it himself.