chickencam

The easiest fruit cake ever

How could I not?!! Made one this afternoon and it is scrumptious. Drew the line at marg though - yuk - butter all the way for me! Threw some nuts in as well. Flour quantity was a bit hit and miss as my add and weigh scales suddenly flashed Lo and shut down mid weigh. Wouldn't mind but I'd changed the batteries only a couple of minutes before!

Sue

Just made yet another one - this is round and has chopped (dried) apricots, prunes, dates and sultanas in it, also some hazelnuts from our tree.... delicious!

Am having a 'hard of understanding' day today and couldn't work out why you had hazelnuts on your Christmas tree; the darkened room beckons!

I make a similar one for my xmas cake - I put in treacle and use port for the liquid and put in cherries and chopped almonds etc etc. It goes down a treat and is never dry - the port makes a lovely flavour to it- it was originally Mrs Clucks mothers cake recipe on this site and its really really good. I marzipanned it and iced it too.

I think that it would make a great quick Christmas cake with the port and darker sugar :D

I am about to mix up and cook my Delia cake. I do a one and a half quantity version of her cake every year and my OH does something different, this year he has made the buttered rum cake from the Christmas Good Food magazine. Looks and smells great.

The Christmas cake and maybe a white loaf later will be the last things cooked in my old oven, our new one is arriving later. We have had this one for about 10years and it has done great service but the fan is very clunky now and the glass doors clans together in an arming way when it is hot because one of the hinges has warped. I will be sad to see it go though because it still looks smart and has served the family well. Get me getting sentimental over an oven :oops::lol:

Ive rewritten down the ingredients as I am planning on making this for our Christmas cake this year. We are at my sister in laws in Biddulph Moor, so I think we will need something rich like this, just to keep warm ;) I am also planning on making a yule log for the kids as they aren't fruit cake people. They don't know what they are missing!

What new cooker are you getting Chickencam? I am looking for a new one, and think I know what I am after, but am open to suggestions. I am going to brave the Black Friday sales online next Fri to see if I can get an induction version of the ceramic one I'm after :)

We started looking at an expensive Neff but realised that it had a considerably smaller capacity then our current Belling and features which we just wouldn't use. We have settled on a very smart black Hotpoint which was really cheap because it doesn't do anything fancy although it does have a 90 degree slow cook feature and a defrost function which I would miss from my current on because I use it quite a bit. It is huge because it doesn't have too and bottom elements in the main oven so extra space. I have just seen your post about the range cooker, I love their look but after years of having a built in double oven I don't think I would like the bending with heavy casseroles etc. Good luck in your quest.

Thank you, yes with black treacle sounds good, though I'm worried it might sink....how does your recipe differ Blacksrock? Re ovens, I'm a very lucky girl and have 3 new ones this year, all by Miele and they are all SUPERB! Should last 20 years each so no changing ovens for a bit I hope. We we're going to buy NEFF only they had/have? A huge supply issue and wouldn't have been able to supply us with them for at least 6 months.

Hi I tweaked my recipe it is as follows

Boiled Fruit cake

1lb mixed dried fruit - cheapest does just as well

1 cup water - I use 1 cup port

1 cup dark brown sugar

6 oz butter

1 teasp bicarb

throw in some chopped nuts

1tablespoon treacle

boil for 15 minutes

allow to cool - can leave overnight

add

2 beaten eggs

1 cup self raising flour

1 cup plain flour

1/2 cup cherries chopped and dredged in flour to stop sinking

Put in baking tin which is lined with parchment

Bake at 150 for about 2 hours - mine is usually a fast baker so takes less time - is a wonderful moist cake with such a flavour from the port.

Enjoy. ps I use proper usa cup measures for mine.