chickencam

The easiest fruit cake ever

Made Blackrocksrock's version of the cake yesterday but substituted whiskey for port and shoved in some sad looking dried cranberries lurking at the back of the cupboard. Have now been ordered by my household to make it again for Christmas! It worked very well with whiskey but I wonder what a dark beer version with prunes & stem ginger would be like since I like things less sweet and more bitter than my menfolk - and if I made one of each I might actually get to eat some, since I rarely get to eat much of any cake I make :evil:

Dorset apple cake recipe

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:18 pm

Ingredients

225g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing

450g Bramley apples

Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon

225g caster sugar, plus extra for dredging

3 large eggs

225g self-raising flour

2 tsp baking powder

25g ground almonds

1 tbsp demerara sugar

How to make dorset apple cake

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a deep 23-24cm springform cake tin and line with baking paper. Peel, core and cut the apples into 1cm pieces, and toss with the lemon juice.

2. Using an electric hand whisk, cream together the butter, caster sugar and lemon zest in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, adding a little flour with each addition to keep the mixture smooth.

3. Sift the remaining flour and the baking powder into the bowl and fold in with the ground almonds. Drain the apple pieces well, then stir into the mixture.

4. Spoon into the prepared cake tin, lightly level the top and sprinkle with the demerara sugar. Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until well-risen, brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If the cake starts to look a little too brown, cover with a sheet of baking paper after about 45 minutes.

5. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the tin and place on a serving plate. Dredge heavily with the extra caster sugar.

I take no credit for this recipe, I have plundered it from somewhere on the net. It is DEEEELISH! Next time I'm going to add a bit of cinnamon, time after I might chuck in a few sultanas and I'm going to see if it freezes, only I am becoming inundated with apples having said I would take on anyones fruit / veg glut at work, plus hubby is putting the word round at the pub!

Mrs B